Garmin 2610 or Quest 2

nav18tor

There is a lot of experience here, which one would you suggest?

Garmin 2610 or Quest 2?

Not a fan of TomTom so is Garmin or Garmin!!

John Armstrong said:
Either, depends what you want from the GPS :mmmm

Mmmmmmm

What are the key points that make the difference between the 2?

I am looking for a "get me home" so I can just ride without worrying about finding my way back, something that shows GPS speed, road safety camara locations, but am unlikely to go outside the UK

Roger :thumb

Ive looked into this a bit - the quest 2 seems to have a seriously slow screen refresh rate which some users complain about or reject it for, and others dont seem to mind it, but it ruled this unit out of my selection list, quest 1 sounds reasonable though. Out of the quest and 2610 - I would suggest the 2610, having looked through all the threads it seems very good value and those in the know like it alot - however it does have limitations - The perfect GPS which meets every need is hard to find, so you need to compromise on the features that are not so important to your needs. Personally Ive settled on the 2720 but it is blooming expensive, however I have collected enough points on my driving licence to justify getting one.

For what you say you want a GPS for I'd save your pennies and get the cheapest unit you can get. Out of the two you mention a Quest(1) is the answer on price.

Twotter said:
For what you say you want a GPS for I'd save your pennies and get the cheapest unit you can get. Out of the two you mention a Quest(1) is the answer on price.

Money is not the issue, although I do think the new 2720 seem very expensive.

I have gor a Street Pilot 111 that seems a bit big and clunky beside the newer models, and I am owed a favour by someone who can get me a new Garmin, hence my question which is best, 2610 or Quest.

I suppose if I sold the Street Pilot 111 I could get a 7220, now there's a thought!!

Any body want a Street Pilot 111?

I paid £200.00 2 weeks ago from this very forum!!

Roger

If you know the basics on the SP3 then the 2610 will be very similar, but with added functionality. 2nd hand 2610's aren't too expensive either. And Autocom leads will also probably work as well. Power leads are completely different.

This month's Ride tests GPS's and the one that gets the recommended is the Quest 1.

madmikey said:
This month's Ride tests GPS's and the one that gets the recommended is the Quest 1.

Will have to buy Ride now, although I do find that the mag's in general are not always very objective!!

The 2610 does seem to be slightly more popular here, I suspect the Quest 1 got the vote because it was less costly that some competitors.

dirtydog said:
That will be bullshit then like the rest of the bikes 'rags' ;)

Seroiusly, how can the Quest be better than a 2610. The Quest is a great unit, but certainly not to be placed above the 2610!

Perfect, thats the sort of response I wanted!!

Why cant a Quest be placed above a 2610?

Roger

It's been discussed before but:
a) try plotting tomorrows trip in a hotel room on a 2610
b) try putting a 2610 in your pocket
c) try wandering about a strange town on foot with a 2610

Conversely you can't poke the screen on a quest, and if you do the anti-glare coating will rub off. You really have to stop to do any significant route changes, and be very careful with gritty wet gloves with the screen.

ianf said:
It's been discussed before but:
a) try plotting tomorrows trip in a hotel room on a 2610
b) try putting a 2610 in your pocket
c) try wandering about a strange town on foot with a 2610

Conversely you can't poke the screen on a quest, and if you do the anti-glare coating will rub off. You really have to stop to do any significant route changes, and be very careful with gritty wet gloves with the screen.

I have a power lead with my 2610 so plotting in the hotel room can be done. So you can't use it off the bike in the town, well you can with a TT battery pack (not worth doing though!). Touch screen is a dream, not a problem with gloves if the screen has been calibrated with gloves on, plus I have a 'pad pen' with my TT mount (don't use it). Screen can be protected if needed.

Personally, I think the Quest screen is to small. It's all a matter of personal choice and I prefer the 2610. The recalculation time on the 2610 is blisteringly fast too?

But, if you can get the Quest at good money like some of the Tosser's on here did, get one!

nav18tor said:
Mmmmmmm

I am looking for a "get me home" so I can just ride without worrying about finding my way back, something that shows GPS speed, road safety camara locations, but am unlikely to go outside the UK

Roger :thumb

road safety camera locations

2610 does not really do that. choice should be between 2720 or quest 2.

dirtydog said:
Personally, I think the Quest screen is to small. It's all a matter of personal choice and I prefer the 2610. The recalculation time on the 2610 is blisteringly fast too?

But, if you can get the Quest at good money like some of the Tosser's on here did, get one!

Screen size too small on a Quest ???

Time for new specs then ;)

Back
Top Bottom