2610 2720

gs1200

hi all this question might have allready been answered buti am in the market for a new g.p.s and want to know if a 2610 or b.m.w navigator does full post codes all 7 letters and numbers or is it only the 2720 that does this also what makes the b.m.w unit worth about£250 MORE than what seems a lot better unit and can you hard wire the 2720 to the g.s easily any help will be gratefull

No the 2610 doesnt do full postcode, hard wire the gps to the back of the accessory socket, use solder, 2 wires it's easy. The bm unit has some very expensive waterproof ink on it saying bmw navigator ii, oh plus it has the bm dealers as poi's installed as well.

sounds to me as my suspicions are correct b.m.w unit is just very expensive for no more than a normal 2610 so a2720 look kike the unit for me hard wireing seems simple also so does this mean that i just need to purchase a2610 cradle for mounting and a ram arm link and u bolt the power link must be supplied bare wired i suppose the cheapest i have seen it is on pricerunner £675 i think unless you know of a cheaper source

Honest Dealer

I tried to buy a Navigator II at the weekend as I have become fed up with the bloody stupid bluetooth receiver on my Tomtom Rider.

Give thanks for honest people as the parts manager at my dealer spent a long time explaining why it was out of date and far too expensive with comments such as `did I really want an out of date 2610 and spend over £300 to get a black one with BMW written on it plus a couple of extra, not very useful buttons. Also he pointed put that buyers were having to spend money to upgrade to version 8 maps but Garmin users were getting them for free.

He suggested buying a Garmin 2720. First check showed price of £930 but web ordered from GPS Warehouse at £699 (also available retail for that price in Tottenham Court Road, London. Total outlay £699 plus £30 for bike kit and £20 for RAM mount = £750. For that I got everything the Nav II has (including Beemer dealers) plus two types of car mountings, version 8 software, a car power lead with built in speaker and up to date hardware.

First impressions - not only have I got a system that hard wires to my autocom rather than being stuck with bluetooth but the whole thing eludes professional quality. The navigation options are far more comprehensive, the voice commands are much clearer and helpful, custom POI files are easier to install or home build, the screen is bigger and I can plan on PC. There are many other goodies but this post would get too long.

Downside. Unlike the Rider there is no internal battery, it takes a little longer to get a sat fix and the screen colours are a bit washed out. It also is a little less intuitive so time spent learning how touse it is necessary and worthwhile.

I also heard today that Ride magazine have a test of 6 sat navs. 2720 came first - Navigator II came LAST (Rider 4th)

Last edited:
I did that

hard wire the gps to the back of the accessory socket

I did it this way with the Rider so did the same when I installed the 2720 - then I hit a snag. Because there is no internal battery when route planning is done on the road the bike ignition (plus lights) must be on. I also found that if the unit is allowed to boot up when the ignition is on it shuts down and boots up again when the engine is started. This takes some time.

Changed it to wired direct to battery using the in-line fuse supplied with the unit. Remembering to turn it off is no problem as one tends to notice an illuminated map and when the engine is started it just flashes the screen without shutting down.

Whichever way its done one must remember to make sure the contacts on the end of the cable don't contact the bike with ignition on and gps disconnected.

andyclift said:
Give thanks for honest people as the parts manager at my dealer spent a long time explaining why it was out of date and far too expensive with comments such as `did I really want an out of date 2610 and spend over £300 to get a black one with BMW written on it plus a couple of extra, not very useful buttons. Also he pointed put that buyers were having to spend money to upgrade to version 8 maps but Garmin users were getting them for free.
I can agree that the 2720 is much better than the 2610. Or if we compare the corresponding BMW Nav models - I can agree that the Nav III is much better than the Nav II.

The rest is debateble.

First, both BMW Nav II and Nav III has the all important zoom buttons. To my opinion this would be the main reason for buying Nav II instead of 2610 (or Nav III instead of 2720).

Second, when you buy a Garmin you always get ONE map version. The latest version available when you buy the unit. OK. Fine. But when you buy a BMW unit you not only get the map in the box you receive, you also get a free update. Thus - with the BMW unit you get TWO free map versions.

Third, the BMW Nav III has several advantages compared with the 2720. Better screen, built in bluetooth and cell phone control, more map memory, 5 times bigger track memory, zoom buttons, etc.

To my opinion your "parts manager" was just talking bulls***t as he didn't inform you of the new BMW Nav III. He was also wrong about the map versions.

A completely different issue is that the BMW Nav III is far to expensive. But that's another story....

jUST MY OPINION

He was also wrong about the map versions.

This one I've checked. Buy a Garmin today that does not have V8 maps and Garmin will update for free. Buy a Nav II and Garmin will supply the maps free but charge for the unlock code. Not a big deal but adds about £40 to the already overpriced Nav II.

I can agree that the Nav III is much better than the Nav II.

What Nav III. It does not exist yet. If we all waited for the next bit of `super kit' that is still at the vapourware or press release stage none of us would have a PC yet and we would still be waiting to buy our first TV. I have yet to see a reliable release date for Nav III but from what I read it is likely to be a modified 2720 with a couple of extra buttons.

the all important zoom buttons

I can't see what is so important about the zoom buttons. Both the Rider and 2720 have touch screen zoom and although this would be impossible to use while driving I have never found the need. On the 2720 there are options on how the zoom is set so there is even less need to use them. For example, by default the screen shows the whole route to the next turn and zooms in closer as the turn approaches. This, coupled with the excellent voice prompts makes the buttons totally redundant.

bigger track memory

For my use this comes under the heading of `bells and whistles' that may come in handy. I found this facility very useful on my very old Garmin 12 as it was easy to backtrack a course. As an example, finding my way back to my campsite outside Brussels to overcome Belgium's none existant signposting. Did not really miss it on the Rider and have now turned it of on the 2720 as it does not really help me. For my use it is easier to set a `favorite' and set a route back to it.

built in bluetooth and cell phone control

These would be nice and this is one of the options that attracted me to the Rider - and also the reason I have got rid of it!!. In practice it was not that useful but that may be something to to with the way Tomtom implimented it. Firstly, by relying on Bluetooth the system needs regular recharging to work. That's OK if you remember and if you have regular access to charging power. Camping around Europe for a couple of weeks (one of the main reasons for having satnav) means little or no access to mains power so it would be necessary to charge from the bike. Unless the bike had a socket to bypass the ignition this would have to be done while driving so you would be back to a wired system defeating the object of bluetooth. Also if it was like the Rider (and my Motorola bluetooth earpiece) the bluetooth turns off while charging so for an hour or so of riding every day there would be no voice prompts and no mobile.

So what do I lose by not having bluetooth on the 2720? I can still use my mobile hands free via the Autocom so I just lose the refinement of a screen showing who is calling but so what. My home phone does not do that either. I can't dial a number from the gps screen but the Rider would not let me do that while driving anyway - probably quite rightly as I would hate to try to navigate the screens to try to dial a number while steaming along an autobahn. If I have to stop to make a call its easier to dial it from the keypad on the phone.

With 2720 + Autocom, when I start a ride, I have the time consuming task of plugging in my helmet and phone. This 15 second job is a price worth paying to avoid the worry of continually having to find a chaging source and remembering to recharge.

Incidentally, both my mobiles eat battery power when bluetooth is turned on so wiring it to the Autocom cuts down the frequency of having to drive with the phone plugged into the bike power socket.

To my opinion your "parts manager" was just talking bulls***t

My dealer has always given me good advise and service and I have no reason to distrust them this time. It is difficult to mistrust the information when one realises that the guy was talking me out of a sale of over a £1000 for kit he had in stock !!! I won't name the dealer as publicising the fact that they are talking customers out of sales may not go down well with BMW but I have always found that,unusual in the 21st century, they are more interested in customer satisfaction than making every sale.

Yes he did tell me that the Nav II was due for replacement but could not provide a spec, price or release date. He also pointed out, as noted on this thread, that it was likely to be a 2720 with a couple of bells and whistles which, depending on your needs, were unlikely to be worth the potentially high price when compared with a bog standard 2720.

Don't get hung up on thinking you must have the latest maps. Unless you need the maps for an area that wasn't previously mapped (eg Ireland), there's pretty much no difference. For example CN v7 still has all the closed down petrol stations and wrong junction priorities that v5 had :D

ive learned a bit from this thread thank you but i am just about to take the plunge but i was under the impression that the only unit that could be used was the 2610 because the 2720 has a hard drive that could be damaged when using on the bike because of vibrations is this complete rubbish ?

HMR said:
Dear Andyclift :)

I can buy most of your arguments since a feature has a value only if you are interested in using it.

Very much like a "water feature" in a garden

Back
Top Bottom