North Poland - any recommendations

JFC

Reaction score
Going to Ketzryn in June, via Peenemunde - any recommend places to stop / see? - intend to be in Poland for 3 - 4 nights

Kritou said:
What's at Ketzryn?
The Wolfs Lair - Hitlers HQ and the site of the failed assassination attempt. Will be there in May. :D

I assume you're going to Peenemunde to see the rocket sites. When I looked on the web last year, there seemed to be very little information about it - so I gave it a miss last year.

JFC said:
Going to Ketzryn in June, via Peenemunde - any recommend places to stop / see? - intend to be in Poland for 3 - 4 nights

Also going to nearby Treblinka so a vist to Hitler's Wolf's Lair might make an appropriate but macabre addition to the day trip

Apparently, the lakes around the general area in North West Poland are out of this world and according to the books, its one of the pretiest areas in the country.

Thanks

thanks for the posts, will follow-up the link and report experiences

we are intending to go out via Ardennes and Bastogne then have a few days out and about in Peenemude and the a day of so around the lakes and the Wolf's Lair. Return via 'the' Ruhr Dams and Nurburgring

Apparently there are seven or so furher bunkers including Wolf's Lair and we are intending to visit the western-ish europe locations

May take a look at Treblinka, did Auschwitz last year interest place and experience.

On a similar theme and worth a visit if you are 'passing':

Wewelsburg nr. Paderborn - castle intended to become centre of SS world, crypt and 'hall' to see
Obersalzburg/Bertchesgarten
Nurnberg - Speer's rally site, now a lorry car-park - can jump over barrier and get to the podium area where his-nibs used to go on-and-on
Nordhausen - underground V2 factory in Harz mountains

Apologies: - spellings are phonetic german/welsh, but you'll get the idea

JFC said:
..Apparently there are seven or so furher bunkers including Wolf's Lair and we are intending to visit the western-ish europe locations
Sounds like a good trip to me. I've got 8 days in Poland and Germany in May, so have you got the Lat / Long for these, or have you got them marked as waypoints?

Locations

no lat/long or waypoints - some text:

Felsennest (Mountain Nest) in Germany near the Belgian border Eifel mountains;
Wolfsschlucht (Wolf's Gorge) at Bruly-de-Pesche in Belgium;
Tannenburg (Pine Mountain) in the depths of the Black Forest;
Frühlingssturm (Spring Storm), a length of train track near a tunnel at Moenichkirchen in Austria;
Wolfschanze (Wolf's Lair) near Rastenburg in East Prussia;
Wehrwolf near Vinnytsa in the Ukraine;
Wolfsschlucht 'II' at Martival in France;
Adlerhorst (Eagle's Nest) in the village of Wiesental near Bad Nauheim

Plus
Reich Chancellory itself (underground bunker)
Berchtesgaden / Obersalzburg.

Taff said:
Apparently, the lakes around the general area in North West Poland are out of this world and according to the books, its one of the pretiest areas in the country.

The Masurian lake district in Northern Poland is beautiful an' at times about 50 years in the past. Do be careful when ridin' some of the out of town roads as horse an' cart is still quite the norm at times. I'll be there myself late June, also takin' a trip to the Wolf's Lair. We'll be comin' into North East Poland via Lithuania havin' travelled thru Denmark, Sweden, Estonia an' Latvia.
Havin' a great time pourin' over maps at present. Lonely Planet books carry a wide variety of information about the countries an' accomodation but to be honest we'll see what it's like for ourselves once we get there. Always got a tent on the bike anyhow.

you have to visit Gdansk, Gdynia and Sopot, which are called by us Poles-Trojmiasto (a city of 3 cities). Then a little bit South-East there is Malbork. A beautiful little city with huge Crusaders Castle. As One Bloke One Mandolin said also the Mazury (lake district) is worth to see. Unfortunatelly for you that you visit North Poland. I think that South is way better. I am a man from Cracow so i know what i am saying.
If you have any questions just write to me.

JFC said:
Reich Chancellory itself (underground bunker)
I found the site of the Chancellery Bunker last year; now just an inconspicuous childrens play area behind a block of flats. Apparently, as the Germans did not want it to become a shrine for Neo Nazis, there is nothing whatsoever to indicate its position. Although Hitlers bunker was sealed, I understand that there was an almost identical bunker built in Berlin at the same time, which is open to the public, but I can't find anything on it.

cyprys said:
Unfortunatelly for you that you visit North Poland. I think that South is way better. I am a man from Cracow so i know what i am saying.
Given the Polish roads, how long would you reckon it would take to ride from Ketrzyn to Warsaw, then to Krakov?

Attachments

• Copy of GERMANY 2005 47.JPG
    Copy of GERMANY 2005 47.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 185
Gdansk is a really nice city and well worth a visit, it was bloody scorching when we visited last year.

Malbork castle is also very impressive with a very handy and well equiped camp sit behind the castle thats within walking distance.

Beware of the roads you'll never know what you might come across. :D

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 101
  • Artillery.jpg
    Artillery.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 92
  • Malbork 2.jpg
    Malbork 2.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 93
  • Malbork.jpg
    Malbork.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 87
As for Hitlers bunker. It is located in Wilczy Szaniec right in the heart of Mazury lake district. Thewre is more than 200 Buildings including 2 airports, power plant, train station etc. there used to live more than 2000 people in 1944.
From Ketrzyn to warsaw is about 180 miles. There are not much Motorways in POland that's why it will take a while. I would say you are able to get to warsaw in 2,5-3 hours. Maybe faster. But always on polish roads be extra careful. Polish car drivers have no respect for Bikers. Some of them will try to race you. Ignore them.you are cleverer then them.never seen a car wining with bike:)
Warsaw to Cracow. This will take about 3 to 4 hours. Road is not bad and quite fast. I understand that warsaw is only a stop on the way to Cracow as i cannot see why you want to go to Warsaw??
For places to stay in cracow try this link,
http://www.noce.pl/SR/index2.php?lang=en&k=1&pk=2
for hitlers bunker
http://www.interhome.co.uk/landinfo...skt=Y&priceso=35&placecode=1158&regioncode=02
Good Luck

Given the Polish roads, how long would you reckon it would take to ride from Ketrzyn to Warsaw, then to Krakov?[/QUOTE]

I was in S Poland last year entered via Colditz and Dresden then passed through Legnica, Katowice, Oswiecim (Austwitz) and then to Tatra mountains and Zakopane.

Road are fine, major routes seem to have suffered the most and are now under construction - take the advice - dont race and be prepared - horse and carts and big trucks going v. slow.

Highly recommended - great campsite at Legnica (£8 per night for chalet and v.strong beer for 1/2 zloti). Route to Zakopane is up into mountains and one of the best and when you get there it is a jumping place (Polish Ski resort still very popular even though out of season).

Great food, all friendly, and in Zakopane and Czech outskirts on-suite hotel accomodation for £10 - reason we are going back this year.

Went through mountains to Slovakia, then Czech republic, stayed in a place called Havlik Brod - old town, nice centre - out of range of stag and hen parties so still real (visited 'long way round' bone church at Kunta Hora) and back to Germany and underground V2 factory at Norhausen - well worth a visit

Went into Germany via minor route over mountains - route lined with friendly ladies getting 'lifts' back and fore from truckers - needs to be seen to be believed

Finally - if you go into Poland from Dresden keep and eye out - we passed derelict Migs in a field alongside the road - just stopped and climbed all over Mig 21 and Mig 15. and find out what is being offered for sale at the roadside - jars full of berries - we tried to ask but no one seems to understand Welsh...

Taff said:
Thanks Cyprus, thats a huge help. I've sent you a PM.

N'owt in pm box at this time - could use t??loughuk,.,.you know,.,.,btinternet.com

I worked in the northwest for a few months about 5 years ago. I stayed in the Radisson SAS in the centre of Szczecin, but walked all over the city. There's enough ot keep you occupied for a few days and it has good access to the forests, lakes and Baltic.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Szczecin
I actually worked in a factory in Goleniow, which is a much smaller town, but has some nice aspects about it. Again, it has good access to the regions above, and the people are lovely.
http://www.goleniow.pl/gol/index.php

:thumb

Back
Top Bottom