GS'ers in Morocco

Timolgra

reformed
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Two weeks to go before our group of six 1150 GSs set off for our trip of more than three weeks to Morocco. :clap :clap :clap

We'll be in Morocco for around 16 days, calling at the Cascades d'Ouzard waterfalls, two nights in Marrakech and intend to ride many of the pistes around the Tafroute region, from Taliouine to Zagora via Foum Zguid. We'll spend a couple of nights camped out in the desert en route. Over to Tinerhir taking in the Valley of Roses and Gorges, ride the route which has become known on this site as the 'Tinerhir loop'.

Then meet my friend Aziz who is based in Erfoud, we ride out across the desert area to an Auberge on the edge of Erg Chebbi just to the north of Merzouga, here we'll chill out with a couple of days off the bike and take an overnight camel ride to a desert oasis have food cooked for us and sleep in a Berber tent amongst the sand dunes. Bliss.
If we manage to ride the beasts back to the Auberge without being savaged :eek:we'll have a 4WD tour all the way around Erg Chebbi, almost in Algeria :confused: meeting the nomadic Touaregs etc.

Hopefully we'll be rested for the next leg of our trip north to Tarifa in southern Spain and north again for a day or so in the Picos de Europa before getting pissed on the ferry from Santander.

As I have done before, I intend to film the trip with footage from both my camcorder and on board bullet camera and let the lads have a copy of the DVD, this time hopefully with some editing :rolleyes:

And we'll not be the only ones, Steptoe's group :thumb will hopefully be there for a couple of days and we may be able to meet up for a beer. :beerjug: And I know of a couple of other parties also going this April :thumb . It could get busy, Morocco is becoming increasingly popular :) :)

If there is sufficient interest I 'may' run this trip again in the autumn we'll see.
Anyone interested in should be a confident rider, with a moderate level of fitness (for a GS'er :beer: ;) )

Oh and if you're not going this year, have a good day in the office :dabone :D

Attachments

• Tafroute.JPG
    Tafroute.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 751
Sounds like a cracking trip, have a safe ride :thumb

Jeremy

timolgra said:
(for a GS'er :beer: ;) )

Oh and if you're not going this year, have a good day in the office :dabone :D

Oh Yeh! Thanks? Hurry up and Feck off :D

Shep :bounce1

Sounds great, hope you all have a good time.

If your Tinerhir loop is south on M5, then north on M4, take the road to Erfoud which goes via Touroug, there's some fantastic examples of 17th century khettara. On the surface running alongside the road you see the spoil from the hundreds of shafts that were sunk to dig and maintain the underground channels.

Tim

Tim Cullis said:
Sounds great, hope you all have a good time.

If your Tinerhir loop is south on M5, then north on M4, take the road to Erfoud which goes via Touroug, there's some fantastic examples of 17th century khettara. On the surface running alongside the road you see the spoil from the hundreds of shafts that were sunk to dig and maintain the underground channels.

Tim

Thanks Tim, the first time I saw them I didn't stop for some reason and it bugged me for ages as to what they were, last year I did stop and yes you are right they are fantastic. They extend right down to the Merzouga area where they still irrigate meagre crops. An amazing feat to channel water so far.

This out of focus pic is from where you mention, you'll excuse the shaky hand I had no intention of falling in :D

Attachments

• khetara.JPG
    khetara.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 736
Two weeks today and 5 of us set sail from Portsmouth - Bilbo and then on to Morocco. :thumb :thumb :beerjug: :bounce1

merlings1200 said:
Two weeks today and 5 of us set sail from Portsmouth - Bilbo and then on to Morocco. :thumb :thumb :beerjug: :bounce1

Good for you, let's hope our paths cross :thumb

Attachments

• tim on piste.JPG
    tim on piste.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 719
Stonkin' :cool:

Will be very interested in your adventures. Especially interested in how much hassle it is to cross the frontier in and out - are you going via Cuerta?

I am the big five - O next year and plan a similar trip to Morocco (fact the main reason I bought the GSA).

Ah well, back to work in grey, dreary UK. Amazing how much imagination it takes to turn the M48 into the Moroccan Pistes!!

bladerunner said:
Stonkin' :cool:

Will be very interested in your adventures. Especially interested in how much hassle it is to cross the frontier in and out - are you going via Cuerta?

I am the big five - O next year and plan a similar trip to Morocco (fact the main reason I bought the GSA).

QUOTE]

Border crossings via Ceuta have been well covered in this forum, we'll be through in 30mins max :rolleyes: I hope.

I'm also the little five - O this year but i started going to great places as a teenager, just in case, I didn't think I would make even this far :)

Enjoy the M48 ;)

Attachments

• taf route.JPG
    taf route.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 683
Tim et al,

Have a great trip, Jon, fat bloke and me are doing the run from Taliouine to Merzouga on piste with a detour up to do the Alnif Tinehir loop (inspired by the recommendation of you and Bakes!) leaving on the 30th April!

Can't wait to get out there. Let us know how you get on..

Jim

Jim-Adv said:
Tim et al,

Have a great trip, Jon, fat bloke and me are doing the run from Taliouine to Merzouga on piste with a detour up to do the Alnif Tinehir loop (inspired by the recommendation of you and Bakes!) leaving on the 30th April!

Can't wait to get out there. Let us know how you get on..

Jim

And Jim, I will be interested to know how you get on from Zagora to Merzouga, the section near Merzouga gets quite sandy in places so I'm not prepared to lead six unsuspecting fully loaded GS'ers on that part this time, see I do have a heart ;)

Attachments

• tomboktu.JPG
    tomboktu.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 667
Tim,
Apparently both ends of the route from Tagonite to Merzouga are supposed to be a bit interesting! with three of us we think its worth a try esp. as the rest of that route looks fantastic, I'm sure there will be a few WTF are we doing here moments but then they make the good pub stories later! Anyway I'll let you know what those bits are like.

Jim

PS Seeing that bloody Timbucktoo sign in Zagora, in a book years ago got me into the whole idea of biking in the sand. At least I will finally get my picture taken in front of it!

merlings1200 said:

I'm one of the selected few on this trip ;) . I'm betting it'll be the best I've ever had and I'm soooooooooo excited!

Morocco

I'm leaving on Sunday, travelling via Santander and then on south, returning from Morocco on or about the 4th April. Might catch up with you guys somewhere on the road.

Mike

Tim Cullis said:
That narrows it down to three again, then?

Well I've been lucky enough to travel with great companions, but it can all go tits up in the bat of an eye lid, so having that bit in reserve can stand you well.

Having been involved in various fairly extreem 'adventures' in the past, I've learnt that what is a playground one moment can turn 'concerning' the next.

Attachments

• tits up.JPG
    tits up.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 627
Great pics Tim.

Cant wait, took the bike out on Saturday to scrub in the Tkc’s
fantastic tyres.

Image009.jpg

Image010.jpg

Crap pictures (Taken with my phone) but great fun.

Looking good Steve, don't expect it to stay that clean :D :thumb

jinkxy said:
Great pics Tim.

Cant wait, took the bike out on Saturday to scrub in the Tkc’s
fantastic tyres.

Image009.jpg

Image010.jpg

Crap pictures (Taken with my phone) but great fun.

Don't forget your sleeping bag this time!! :D

Back
Top Bottom