Streetpilot 3 worth the upgrade

~Stef~

Reaction score
I currently have an old Garmin V , which is fine, but limited memory so im looking for something with more memory on a budget so I was thinking of a second hand Streetpilot 3. Can I get the UK and France to fit on one card ?

~Stef~ said:
.. I was thinking of a second hand Streetpilot 3. Can I get the UK and France to fit on one card ?
According to Mapsource, the maps for the UK and France come to 488Mb (Version 7 of City Navigator), so no you won't fit all of it onto 1 card. I had a 256Mb card in mine, and even though I've seen bigger Garmin datacards cards advertised, I'm pretty sure that I read on here that they didn't fit the SPIII.

I think my SPIII was sold on e-bay for about £260 with a 128Mb card, which was a good price when you bear in mind there were others on there at the same time, selling for £150. Sold the 256Mb card on here separately for £50. Although slow in comparison to my 2610 etc, the SPIII worked well for me on several trips abroad.

On a budget, I think the SPIII would be fine. I'm still using mine, and can't justify the expense of changing to a 2720. Bear in mind that the SPIII has 2 advantages compared with the 'next one up' - the Quest. Firstly, the screen is larger. Secondly, which deals with your question about map sizes, you are not limited by the internal memory. You can buy 256mb for around £75, as I did last year. That, together with the supplied 128mb, will give you UK plus a very large chunk of France. The Quest would be more limiting.

That said, you would have to add the cost of the memory when comparing to the cost of a second hand Quest. Further up the scale, a 2610 has the advantage of much cheaper (SD or CF - can't remember which) memory.

Before anyone leaps in with the 'my 2610/TT Rider/Quest/Quest 2 is much faster/better' than an old SPIII, I have merely comented on the memory aspect - as you asked. If you are used to the V, then the III would be fine.

The ususal cautions about getting unlock/registration codes should be heeded.

City Nav 7 is a lot more memory hungry than version 6. I reckon you could get most of UK and France on 256Mb using v6 but certainly not with v7. However, you could leave a lot of the UK maps off the card and just concentrate on your route to the Channel. Then, you could get a lot of France on what remains of the card.

Also, bear in mind that greater Paris takes up 17Mb in v7. If you are not going through Paris you may as well save the space.

GJ

GlynnJ said:
City Nav 7 is a lot more memory hungry than version 6. I reckon you could get most of UK and France on 256Mb using v6 but certainly not with v7. However, you could leave a lot of the UK maps off the card and just concentrate on your route to the Channel. Then, you could get a lot of France on what remains of the card.

Also, bear in mind that greater Paris takes up 17Mb in v7. If you are not going through Paris you may as well save the space.

GJ

Good point, think I could find The English Channel without the aid of GPS, just keep heading south :D

Stef.......the SPIII is an OK unit but it really is way behind the times now, very slow and rather limited. (the speed is the worst point...redrawing screens is ok for out of town but get into a city and you have to slow down in-between junctions, and the off-route recalculation is dire)

Second hand SPIII's seem to be going for £200-£240, which is only 40 quid less than a brand new Quest.

Unless you can stretch your budget to a Quest (which IS worth it, believe me!) then I'd seriously advise you to hold on a month or so and I reckon other outlets will be offloading their Quests- don't forget the Quest II (albeit flawed) is out now and there's a lot of competition with Tom Toms and all the other GPS stuff coming out right now.

We've already seen Quests go for 90 quid.......that was unusual but I honestly think you'll be able to get a Quest in the next month or two for the same price as a second hand SPIII right now.......and the difference is enormous.

It's tempting to get a new toy, but honestly, pay the one nigt in a curry house extra cash or wait a wee while.......I promise it'll be worth it ;)

Stef, I use the sp3 and find it does everything I need. The quest thing might be better but what you aint got... you dont miss. SP3 has also got a bigger screen. If your eyesight is anything less than perfect, you will not be able to read the detail on the quest.
Ive also read that the voice volume on the quest is crap.

Den said:
Stef, I use the sp3 and find it does everything I need. The quest thing might be better but what you aint got... you dont miss. SP3 has also got a bigger screen. If your eyesight is anything less than perfect, you will not be able to read the detail on the quest.
Ive also read that the voice volume on the quest is crap.

I agree with Den. Screen size is important - you have enough to look at without having to squint to read a tiny screen. The SPIII is slow to redraw and recalculate, but you can manage and it beats stopping every 20 miles to refold a map.

And, on the SPIII, you can speed things up by turning off the 'off-route recalculating' and leaving the map view in North Up. Moreover, selecting Page 2 (speed) still gives you the turning page view when approaching a junction.

If the Quest re-appeared at low prices, I would probably change. But I would miss the large screen.

Incidentally, the SPIII (like the Quest) has two big advantages compared with the 2610. It can run off batteries, and has press-button zoom controls.

still use my sp111 and will continue untill it breaks gets me from a > b via c,d,e,&f if i buy new you then have the hassle and expense of getting new mounts & rewiring if it aint broken and still does what its designed to do why replace

chasr said:
Incidentally, the SPIII (like the Quest) has two big advantages compared with the 2610. It can run off batteries, and has press-button zoom controls.

My 2610 has press button zoom controls ??? and they're a lot easier to use with gloves on than the streetpilot 111 - so there :D

Steptoe said:
My 2610 has press button zoom controls ??? and they're a lot easier to use with gloves on than the streetpilot 111 - so there :D
I stand corrected. On the other hand, 'never let the facts get in the way of a good argument.'

Out of interest, is it a standard 2610 or the Nav II?

GlynnJ said:
I agree with Den. Screen size is important - you have enough to look at without having to squint to read a tiny screen. The SPIII is slow to redraw and recalculate, but you can manage and it beats stopping every 20 miles to refold a map.

The Street Pilot III can be any slower than my Garmin V :D

chasr said:
Out of interest, is it a standard 2610 or the Nav II?

Standard 2610 , the zoom buttons are on the touch screen.

Another plus, the speed is displayed on the screen while routing, unlike the streetpilot 111

"And, on the SPIII, you can speed things up by turning off the 'off-route recalculating' and leaving the map view in North Up. Moreover, selecting Page 2 (speed) still gives you the turning page view when approaching a junction."

How do you do this ? It really annoys me when I miss a turning en route and it draws a new route to accommodate it!

timeandtide said:
"And, on the SPIII, you can speed things up by turning off the 'off-route recalculating' and leaving the map view in North Up. Moreover, selecting Page 2 (speed) still gives you the turning page view when approaching a junction."

How do you do this ? It really annoys me when I miss a turning en route and it draws a new route to accommodate it!
System Setup > Guidance > Off-route Recalculation=OFF

All models, not only the SP3, should have this option set to OFF always! The unit will work MUCH better with manual control of route recalculation. When you want the unit to recalculate just press the ROUTE button twice and it recalculates. (On some models you press ROUTE - ENTER or similar)

Other settings you should try to make the device work better are:

- Map Page > Menu > Auto Zoom = OFF
- Map Page > Menu > Map Detail = Most

Bloody hell you learn something new every day thanks for that

Now with that top tip I love my sp111 it does what I want it to do
I have 2 x 128mb +256 card so mapping is all ok nice big screen to see
it sits nice on my Migsel GPS mount on the 1150GS works ok in my touratech GPS mount on my 80GS

as for speed well if Im in europe etc I like to look around so the speed it works at is ok for me

when it breaks then its time for a new one like someone said by then the prices will start dropping dont know which one i would go for next not looked into it

WHENS THE GPS COURSE ????

Back
Top Bottom