Switching Remote Control Off on a 2610

Taff

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Took the bike and the 2610 out for a test yesterday for the first time - really gorgeous day down here. :thumb I encountered two problems:

PROBLEM 1. When travelling East, the 2610 gave 3 quick beeps (but kept working) and I'm sure that I've read on here that the strong sunshine causes havoc with the remote control sensor. The problem didn't happen once when travelling West ie into the sun. I'm also sure that I've read somewhere that we can turn the remote control sensor off, but I've been through the menus and can't find it - is it on a Garmin update? :nenau I've changed "Auto Brightness" off, but the beeps happened again later.

PROBLEM 2. I was using the earpiece from my old SPIII to the earphone socket on the 2610 lead. Worked fine, while stationary and most of the time while moving, but speech would cut off intermittently. I never had this problem with the SPIII and assume its a loose connection, but would heat shrinking a cover on the the socket and plug solve this? Didn't realise how dependent I was on voice prompts until I didn't have any. :eek

Taff;

Prob 1 there is a menu option but it is hidden away and I can't remember where, I only had to use it once.. you do need firmware v4.40 though as it was only made available with that version.

Prob 2 you should be able to resolve by shimming the jack and socket slightly apart, mine took about 1/2mm to get a stable connection.

Andy.

metro said:
Prob 2 you should be able to resolve by shimming the jack and socket slightly apart, mine took about 1/2mm to get a stable connection.
Funnily enough, I noticed that the voice came back when I pulled the plug & socket apart very slightly, but how do you keep them there?

Will check which version is on the unit later tonight. :thumb

I just used bits of electrical tape with holes to build up the shim. Has the advantage of sticking to the jack so you don't lose them.

The IR menu option is bugging me now, I will check where it is in the menus later.

I made a couple of plastic washers from a milk carton to space the jack and socket. They are retained with a bit of heat shrink, but I've had no problems so far.

Andy

Firmware is now up to v4.60, the web updater from here will ensure you have the most recent version. However the following works for v4.40+

To turn IR On/Off...

Menu, Options, Menu, Enable/Disable remote

It's the second Menu that is not obvious.

Andy.

Taff, I replaced the 2.5mm mini jackplug and socket with a 3.5mm set from Maplin. No movement and a secure signal all the time. I would recommend it.

It also means I can unplug rather than leaving it on the bike wiring all the time. :cool:

TC :clap

metro said:
Firmware is now up to v4.60 ..... To turn IR On/Off... Menu, Options, Menu, Enable/Disable remote.
Brilliant - I'd missed that menu and hadn't seen it mentioned in the manual either. Infra Red is now off and the remote control is back in its plastic bag - probably never to see the light of day again. :D

Top Cat said:
Taff, I replaced the 2.5mm mini jackplug and socket with a 3.5mm set from Maplin. No movement and a secure signal all the time. I would recommend it.
Do you mean you used an adaptor from Maplin? As the female part is a standard 2.5mm and built in to the power / audio cable ie the female part can't be changed.

To turn IR On/Off...

Menu, Options, Menu, Enable/Disable remote

It's the second Menu that is not obvious.

Andy.
This always worked for me...... but now the option has vanished :eek:

Has this happened to anyone else :nenau

Still there for me. Software version 4.8.0
Thanks Steve, I'm on 4.8.0 too.

This is weird.... I've just been arsing around with this for the last half an hour and it just wasn't there. So I tried the old turn it off and then back on again (well it works for PCs :D) and guess what.... the Disable Remote icon has reappeared and works fine :confused:

Aha, I've just noticed that the General tab has to be the active one before pressing the Menu button the second time.... if any of the other tabs are active then the icon isn't there when pressing the Menu button :blast

Aha, I've just noticed that the General tab has to be the active one before pressing the Menu button the second time.... if any of the other tabs are active then the icon isn't there when pressing the Menu button :blast

Useful to know :thumb

And will we all remember that the next time we can't find the Enable/Disable Remote button? :nenau

Will we f*ck! :D

Back
Top Bottom