I`ve fitted a Yamaha XTZ750 front end to the LegoBike

Tarka

Reaction score
When I originally constructed the LegoBike from a stock R80G/S I fitted a Yamaha DTR125 front end to it.
You may think that it wouldn`t be a wise thing to do,but it had 41mm forks and the small disc and caliper was actually better than the stock Airhead one!
All the mod required was to reduce the diameter of the bottom of the stem by 2mm (enabling stock size headbearings to be used) and fit a spacer under the top yoke.
I also fitted Africa Twin spec Progressive fork springs with 25mm spacers and all was well.

Although the DTR brake was better than the Airhead one when solo,it wasn`t up to the job when loaded or two up ..... and damn well scary after riding an 1100GS most of the time and then getting on the LegoBike. :eek:

So...I acquired a complete Yamaha XTZ750 Super Tenere twin disc front end off a fellow UKGSer ( cheers Garry :beer: :thumb ) and shut myself in the garage.

This time,the mod needed more work.

The XTZ stem was too large in diameter at both ends,and also too long.

A simple 'fix' would have been to swap stems with the DTR bottom yoke,but I wanted to keep that front end complete for future projects.

So it was decided to make a copy of the modded DTR stem and fit it to the XTZ bottom yoke.

This is where my job pays off...access to metal stock and machine shops :p

The XTZ stem took 22 tons of pressure on the press to remove it :eek:

The modded DTR stem was measured up and a suitable piece of stainless bar was machined to match in all dimensions,including copying the adjuster nut threads. This was then pressed back into the XTZ bottom yoke...and just to play it safe,a grubscrew was also fitted to secure the stem.

Brand new taper rollers went on a treat,and I fitted the front end at the weekend....it was just like assembling a kit :)

I`ve overhauled the calipers and fitted brand new EBC discs.

There`s still a little bit left to do,but here`s some pics.

Attachments

• 9801011200004.JPG
    9801011200004.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 520
Wonder if it`ll stoppie now ?? :D :D

Attachments

• 9801011200003.JPG
    9801011200003.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 609
If you thought it looked weird when all together...it looks really weird when stripped down,doesn`t it ??

Attachments

• 9801011200005.JPG
    9801011200005.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 518
Whatton said:
The colours :eek

Looks like an Early Learning Centre :D

:dabone :dabone

Hence Matron saying 'That`s not a GS...it`s a fecking Lego Bike' :D

And so the name was created... :p

Anyway......it looked more like an Early Learning Centre when the fairing was red...... :eek:

Attachments

• bikes 005.jpg
    bikes 005.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 599
It`s more....cohesive.....all in green :dabone :dabone

Attachments

• bikes 015.jpg
    bikes 015.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 470
tarka said:
Hence Matron saying 'That`s not a GS...it`s a fecking Lego Bike' :D

And so the name was created... :p

Nah - she said it was a 'flippin fairground ride'.

The Lego Bike name is my registered trademark :D

Dahoum said:
Nah - she said it was a 'flippin fairground ride'.

The Lego Bike name is my registered trademark :D

My apologies,mate :eek:

Anyway...the name has stuck... :thumb

What is it with you Wirral lot?
Kennys just as bad, having a bike the same colour as seen in the 'Exorcist' :nenau :D

Hmmm! I know where the inspiration came from...Short circuit

Attachments

• shortcircuit.jpeg
    shortcircuit.jpeg
    9.4 KB · Views: 436
James Burton said:
I was expecting to see a bike made from LEGO :D Honest :thumb

Abit like this one , i made earlyer . :moped:

Didn't want to disappoint you, so................

Attachments

• lego_bike.jpg
    lego_bike.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 196
attachment.php

.......that tyre needs polishing :mmmm

( ps - 'cohesive' in Green ?? - you mean at least its one colour. cohesive isn't even close ) :dabone

Nice one Steve :thumb ..Glad to see you put the front end to good use..That was what i had in mind for it when i first got it but the R80 Basic i luckly found made for a change of plan... Look forward to seeing the finished bike. Looks to me like you need a bigger shed like me to :bow

Sounds and looks like you have way too much time on your hands now that you have finished your kitchen. Perhaps you could start on your bathroom next Steve:D :D :D :D

Back
Top Bottom