Questions 2

adamski49

Reaction score
Afternoon people

Just over a week with the GPS V and I'm impressed.

Cambridge to Spalding test run and then Cambridge to Skelmersdale and back via Snake Pass - can't fault it. :D

I didn't realise it tracked at the same time as navigating until I got back and uploaded to the PC. Times, speeds etc all very interesting - shows how innaccurate the speedo is.

However, today I uploaded the track following this mornings ride and although I have the route on the map I don't have any times or speeds :confused:

Can anyone tell me why? Have I changed a setting without realising it? I've been through the GPS V unit menus but can't see which one might affect it. Any ideas?

I also lost the bloody thumbscrew that secures it to the RAM mount - good job it's a tight fit! Is this a common problem or did I just not tighten it enough?

Thanks in advance, cheers

Adam :beerjug:

Hi Adam,
Sounds like a nice run out for sure....but I think what you are looking for from your GPS V is an upload of the statitsics of the route you have driven. The tracking feature doesn't do this ..... It is simply a "breadcrumb" trail of where you went so you can either track back or save the track for use again another time. To see how fast you drove on which leg of the track I think you are going to remain disappointed. Sorry mate.

I am preprared to be proved wrong if anyone knows any different but as far as I know it is not a feature on the GPS V.

Gecko

It definitely works because I looked at the short stretch where I wound it up to an indicated 137 and it turned out to be a true 128... this was on my own personal test track of course :D

I kept the first one on my PC and it still shows speeds between 'breadcrumbs' but when I saved the second track log to the PC both the original (still on the GPS) and new one lost time and speed references :confused:

I wonder if it's because the first one was following a route whereas the second one was just tracking, i.e. breadcrumb trail.

Not sure, but I want to solve it.

Cheers

Adam

Hmmmm....you have got me curious now. I'll take a look at mine and see if I can figure anything out. I might be nice to have this , it would be a bit like being able to check your laptimes and cornering and top speeds on a race track except this time on your favourite route :D :D :D

Track and Speed

Adam I can show how to read this info from my Navigator but not sure if this applies to a GPS V. The light blue part of the track refers to the data in the box, ie heading, speed etc. See attached.

Attachments

• tracklog.jpg
    tracklog.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 115
Gazza & Gecko

Just figured it out and that screen snap shot shows it clearly - logs give you avg speed etc :) but saved tracks don't :(

After the Snake Pass ride I uploaded the lot hence the info but after todays ride I saved the track and cleared the log before uploading... doh!

I was hoping to save all the tracks from my touring holiday in June complete with speeds etc but this doesn't look to be possible unless someone can tell me otherwise.

Not the end of the world I know but a little disappointing :(

Cheers

Adam

Details in a saved track log

My GPS 3+ probably works the same way as the 5. In that, when you save a track log (i.e. save the active track log to a named file within the GPS so it won't be overwritten when the log 'wraps') you lose the more detailed info such as heading and speed. The active log does hold this info, but will (by default I think) wrap and overwrite when it's full. You can change the log options so that track logging stops when the buffer is full, and you can also control how often a log entry is created.

I hope this is clear?!

-phil

adamski49 said:
Gazza & Gecko

Just figured it out and that screen snap shot shows it clearly - logs give you avg speed etc :) but saved tracks don't :(

After the Snake Pass ride I uploaded the lot hence the info but after todays ride I saved the track and cleared the log before uploading... doh!

I was hoping to save all the tracks from my touring holiday in June complete with speeds etc but this doesn't look to be possible unless someone can tell me otherwise.

Not the end of the world I know but a little disappointing :(

Cheers

Adam

Told you so.... :D

Bit of a pisser I know but as I am now just upgrading to Mapsource 5.0 who knows what I'll find in there .....

Back
Top Bottom