Problems changing down

Cheesy Mike

2003 R1150GS, 4900 miles.

Suddenly I'm having problems changing down gears. Earlier the bike got stuck in 5th/6th. Occasionaly I could get it do go down to 4th, but no lower or on another time no lower than 2nd. Strange. Stop the bike and turn off the engine and the gears all work fine. Even stranger it's completely back to normal now. I checked the clutch fluid resevoir is full so it isn't that.

Any ideas? Obviously I'll get it checked out at a dealer this week.

Mike

Mike, my bike has just had exactly the same problem. I feared that a gearbox srtipdown was going to bankrupt me until Christmas.................BUT, it's a common fault.
The gearbox linkage 'dries' up. I took it to my local dealer SLM, and they fixed it for around the sixty pound mark. They said that 'B*W don't put the right type of grease in at build time and you get this problem. They put a different type of grease in and say that I shouldn't get a problem like this occur again.

If your mecahnically minded, I'm told since that it is a simple repair.

Good Luck,

Phil (Squadron Leader)

Thanks - that did the trick. A nice squirt of WD40 on the linkage and it was fine. The bike is in for its 6K service at the end of this month so I'll get them to grease it up properly.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom