Must go faster VII

Panzer Patrol

Reaction score
The saga continues.

For those of you who have been following my fiddling, and subsequent ramblings, I have been trying to arrange a ride out with two close mates to compare their GSs with mine. The reason is quite simple. Feedback through the seat of the pants is not very scientific. Even though I think it now runs a treat, and I am more than happy with it, the acid test would be a side by side comparison.

Last weekend:- Arrives at meeting point to find my supposed mates spouting ear to ear grins. One had turned out on his S and the other had turned out on his new Tuono (a cracking piece of kit and can take the bumpy back roads as well as the GS, impressive and sh1t quick). Fat lot of good that ride out was.

This weekend:- This time they turned out on their GSs. The arrangement for the test was, on a suitable piece of road (private of course) We would do a rolling start. I would indicate in which gear. Four fingers indicating fourth gear. Long, long straight uphill in the middle of nowhere, no traffic, perfect. Off we go.

We all whack the throttle open at the same time, mine was showing about 3000 rpm. They both immediately leap in front of me, but we stayed the same distance apart as we ran up the hill. Ran it to 7500 in 5th and all still the same distance apart. I changed into 6th and began to creep past them. But that’s all it was a steady easing away, nothing outrageous, just a marginal difference. But boy was I happy. In the past they had always been able to just drift away from me.

Further on we stopped for a cuppa. They were both impressed with the way it was going and the fact that they had run out of steam at the top end and mine was still pulling. I then start gibbering on about how it was probably the RS cams causing a loss of bottom end and that was how they got the drop on me They both looked at each other and grinned. They had pre-arranged that, whatever gear I indicated… they would drop one. So I was pulling away in 4th those two b@st@ds had pulled away in THIRD. That’s mates for ya.

We tried another rolling start later. Except this one was from 2nd and mine did have the edge. But not much!!!! The only difference in spec between the bikes is that they have the BBPower chip. I have the RS cams and Techlusion. I haven’t fiddled much with the Techlusion, so who knows there may be a bit more there.

The conclusion to my fiddlings and twidlings is that the RS cams do make a difference. But probably not enough to warrant the time and expenditure. You can probably gain as much with bolt on goodies. This may come as no surprise to some of you. However, the exercise was well worth it. I now have the motor I was wanting in the first place. More grunt, which will pull 5th and 6th really well and the ability to rev out at the top end in 5th. But there is still not enough horse power to pull 6th easily at the top end. Sixth gear is simply too tall for true top end, but its great for touring and hooning about. That will do me just fine.

I suppose I could try a chip which would up the rev limiter. Maybe skim a bit off the barrels to raise the compression to that of the RS…mmmmmmmmmm! I wonder?
;)

Practical test

Panz

Nice to see a practical test.

I have a similar set up, ypiece, remus can, K&N, bbpower and techlusion.

The only reason I am running both the power chip and techlusion is that I was given the power chip free !

Came off antoher GS.

Would love to do a side by side test.

Did you weigh the jockey's ?

Dave

Yeah... we are all fat gits. 20-25 lbs difference between all three, and no, dieting is not the way to go faster ;)

Back
Top Bottom