Quest power from 1150GS?

MikeS

Ok, this may seem a dumb question but here goes:

I know I need to get a handlebar mount for the Quest from say TT etc but they don't seem to do a power cable to hard-wire into the bikes battery, and TT only suggested using a cable which plugs into the bikes aux power socket which I don't want to do.

I basically want to leave the mount on the bike and have a cable neatly hidden away under the tank so I can just plug the Quest in and remove it easily without mucking about with cables each time.

Can anyone suggest how this is done properly without needing a degree in electronics?

Cheers

Mike:

I am not at all familiar with the Quest - I have never used one - so, you need to take this recommendation with caution.

Garmin makes a moto mount for the Quest. You can see it if you go to the Accessories page for the Quest and click on the line entitled Motorcycle mounting kit (unit bracket, power/audio cable). The kit comes complete with a bracket and a power cable that is designed for use in a moto environment (it is grease, oil, and heat resistant, and stays flexible when it is cold).

Garmin doesn't list the power cable as a stand-alone item, however, if you contact Garmin UK and ask them if it is possible to purchase a Quest power cable (bare ends) as a 'replacement part', the worst they can do is say no, and who knows, they might just have one in stock that will solve your problem.

Michael

I bought the handle bar mounting kit from GPS WAREHOUSE (RAM-MAN on this site) along with the kit to hard wire it to the battery. It was all easy to assemble and good quality stuff. The only problem I have is that I feel I am looking to far from the road to look at the screen as I'm not wired for sound. I am going to get a migsel mount for the 1150 speedometer which will raise the height and position the quest closer into my field of vision whislt riding.

PanEuropean said:
Mike:

I am not at all familiar with the Quest - I have never used one - so, you need to take this recommendation with caution.

Garmin makes a moto mount for the Quest. You can see it if you go to the Accessories page for the Quest and click on the line entitled Motorcycle mounting kit (unit bracket, power/audio cable). The kit comes complete with a bracket and a power cable that is designed for use in a moto environment (it is grease, oil, and heat resistant, and stays flexible when it is cold).

Garmin doesn't list the power cable as a stand-alone item, however, if you contact Garmin UK and ask them if it is possible to purchase a Quest power cable (bare ends) as a 'replacement part', the worst they can do is say no, and who knows, they might just have one in stock that will solve your problem.

Michael

Hi Michael, glad to see you are around.
The Garmin bike mount (010-10610-00) is intended for bike use and has been troublesome (as this forum reveals). I have expressed a view of its weakness of the Garmin unit as its formed by three parts including a din style powered lead with bare wired ends. The RAM cradle (GA15) setup with a QPAC option does appear to be a proven solution bearing in mind what they put these bikes go thru. QPAC is available in the US via RAM USA.

The Vreg chipset used on bikes is different to the set up used in the auto mount and I do remind people of this.

RAM-man

RAM-man,

It's not possible to connect the Quest 2 to an intercom (therefore have the spoken instruc.) and run it on batteries, is it?

If it's which RAM parts do I need to do that?

Thanks a lot :thumb

fcasado said:
RAM-man,
It's not possible to connect the Quest 2 to an intercom (therefore have the spoken instruc.) and run it on batteries, is it? If it's which RAM parts do I need to do that? Thanks a lot :thumb

The answer is yes. This can only be done with a RAM cradle (RAM-HOL-GA15) with ACQ-25 or ACQ-35 which has a connector pad (same as QPAC) but 1 pair of pins to get audio out vai a female jack socket. It did begin life as QAC until by b*lls were removed for doing doing it :D and became ACQ. The part is from gps warehouse (not me!). The comms will need a male jack to male jack (suppressed lead) from the comms supplier. You'll need a mount such as RAM-B-149 series (149, 149Z, 149ZA) as suggestions.

RAM-man

RAM-man said:
The answer is yes. This can only be done with a RAM cradle (RAM-HOL-GA15) with ACQ-25 or ACQ-35 which has a connector pad (same as QPAC) but 1 pair of pins to get audio out vai a female jack socket. It did begin life as QAC until by b*lls were removed for doing doing it :D and became ACQ. The part is from gps warehouse (not me!). The comms will need a male jack to male jack (suppressed lead) from the comms supplier. You'll need a mount such as RAM-B-149 series (149, 149Z, 149ZA) as suggestions.

RAM-man

Thanks very much :thumb

Maybe something like this would do then?

Found it on http://www.cycoactive.com/gps/gpsquest.htm

Quest Power Audio Cable with BMW Plug (Fits TOURATECH mounts ONLY)
Part Number: 065-0257 $63.80

For Garmin Quest only, with BMW plug and audio plug. Has an in-line voltage reduction circuit. It is for motorcycle use, designed to withstand vibration and is weatherproof. Can be hardwired into your bike if desired.

Touratech

That's what I've installed on my 1150: The Touratech lockable mount and the touratech power cable as in MikeS's post. I had the cable without the sound wire, as I prefer to use GPS without all the annoying spoken directions.

The voltage reducer is just a very small unit incorporated into the cable and once hardwired onto the bike, makes for a very neat solution.

Will

so is it possible to bastardise the Touratech cable with the BMW plug so that it can be hardwired then?

Back
Top Bottom