Tank bag question

Steve Peake

New member - hi everyone.
I am about to take possesion of an R1150GS (2000 model) next week, and I need to get a tank bag for it.
Does anyone have any recommedations?
I don't fancy spending £120 on the beemer bag!
Cheers
Steve.

Bag

Hi Steve and welcome to the club.
You'll see quite a few members with Baglux stuff on their bikes for several reasons:
The tank bit covers and protects your tank giving you options to stick one of their 'bags' on the clips or put an A4 size map 'wallet' there.
Although it will initially work out more expensive than the BMW bag it really is worth it if you're thinking of going this way.
You might want to consider putting a 'wanted' ad on the site as some members may have the cover or a bag for sale for various reasons.
I will try and insert a few piccies here for you but failing that I can send you some to your e-mail address - let me know (jimmymc10@hotmail.com)
Cheers for now

Jimbo

Gazza, I checked out your home page and it looks good.

The Pillion seat mounted top box is a new thing for me, bit of lateral thinking there it seems. Also I finally got to see what a rear hugger looks like. No good fo rme as mud would lock up the rear tyre in no time.

Interseting to see the speedo appears to have Mph & Kph dials, is that standard in England?

The Baglux tankbag is interesting but I think I'd rather stay with the Touratech one as for dirt work I think it's slightly smaller size is better. Actually anything is better than the BMW one, I had one and hated it and eventually bought the Touratech one and think it's really great.

Mick.

Thanks for all the responses.
I've got a baglux system on the bike I'm trading in for the GS (R850R) and have been very please with it - tank is easier to grip, and it stops vital body parts getting chilled by all that petrol!
Might look at putting one on the GS in the future, but will have to go for a cheaper magnetic or strap on bag for now - spent all my cash on the GS!
Can't wait till Wednesday when I pick up the GS! It's the only bike I didn't want to give back after the test ride!
Thanks
Steve.

Hi Steve, I know just how you feel about the new bike. don't be put off by the stiff gearbox and the fact the engine nearly stalls when you shut off. These are the pleasures you get with a new big twin. It will all smooth out with use.

Steve

I have always bought BMW tank bags for my previous BMW's (R1100GS, K1200RS, R1100S) etc. May seem expensive to start with but fit perfectly and there is always a market to sell em to if you change the bike using this or BMW club web site.

The BMW 1150 GS tankbag is well made and fits helping to maximise storage without compromising comfort for the rider - good enough for me!

Cheers

Tim

Tim, you are right but the map compartment isn't sealed and lets in water which sort of destroys maps.

Also the map size is between A5 to A6 in size and that's too small for most maps that one uses. The Touratech one lets you use A4 as does the Baglux it would appear.

Mick.

Mick

Good point re maps although rain cover supplied used to keep mine dry - ok for me now though as I don't keep the map on top of bag.

This is for a very good reason - You are tempted to look at it while riding!

This I did last summer in Switzerland on the autoroute and ended up having a serious accident! - My fault I know for being stupid enough to look down while riding at 80mph + but I've seen lots of other riders do it too!!!

Moral of this story:
If you have a map on your tank bag stop before even thinking about glancing down.

Cheers

tank bags

Wish I had seen this last week! Just ordered Beemer tankbag for new 1150. I had baglux on previous 1100 and although dogs danglies, to me I felt the bike lost its looks a little. But my maps stayed dry.

Give me a couple of weeks and Ill give you a comparison, hope Ive not made too much of a mistake!

Wot I dun...

I had a 650GS & bought a BMW tankbag for it (£70-ish).
When I changed back up to an 1150 I kept it & modified it a little & it works fine. I also strapped a bum bag around it with various things hanging off the belt (1st aid kit, knife etc...).

Have a look at the Hein Gerrike catalogue aswell. They sell one like the Touratech with the option of side bags.

I've got a Touratech VP45 tank bag with side bags. I went for this, initially, because Baglux told me they weren't going to make a tank cover for the 31 litre tank option on the Adventure (ironically, they've just Emailed me to say they now are making one!).

I'd had a Baglux system on my Pan European & been quite impressed. The VP45, however, is excellent. Very well made, it fits together very well and the side bags have the added benefit of keeping the rain & general road crap off your knees and lap! The waterprooof cover only works on the main bag but is very effective. The only modification I've made is to replace the metal hooks on the lower straps on the side bags with a clip together 'dog collar' type connector which I join just behind the front shock. You also need to get a saddler (unless you're handy with a needle & thread) to cut and hem a hole in the base plate to gain access to the filler cap (it's made for a variety of bikes, the hole is ready marked & is not a great drama to cut)

The map case is a separate item and will fit either on top of the bag or onto the base pad. It is also a much more user friendly shape & size than the Baglux one.

Hope this is some help,

MikeO

If Steve is sorted out with a tankbag, I would certainly be interested in a Baglux harness. I have the bag to fit from my old FJ. A map case would be of interest as well??

RB

If you are planning to travel a lot with pillion and camping gear I would recommeend the Touratech bag with the 10 liter sidebags,
or the Wunderlich version of this bag.
THe side bags make it easy to put more heavy stuf to the front of your bike, which makes it a lot easier to handle in the mountains and off-road!
The only disadvantage compared to the Baglux is the full protection off the tank wich the Baglux offers; but who hasn't got some old (Honda, Yamaha whatever) t-shirts at home to put underneath the base plate of the bag?

Hi Steve

Welcome to 'the' club. I just got my GS Adventure last week and also traded up from an R850R. You won't be disappointed.

Are you gonna make it to Hawes? I'm a bit of a newie too and am looking forward to meeting this mad lot there!

Cheers, Darren

Hi Darren,

thanks for the welcome.

I am really getting into the bike now - had it just over two weeks, and took it to Wales last weekend for the Builth Wells Show.

I loved my 850R, but I REALLY LOVE my GS!

Won't make it to Hawes ( very busy with MAG stuff at the moment ) but will try to make an event sometime soon.

Have a good weekend.

Steve

Tank Bags

Hi All
I don't use a tank bag very often so I went for te Frank Thomas ''Cargo Bag '' magnetic straps which worked very well on a recent 2000 mile trip and motec soft webbing under to protect the tank.
Tank Bag £58.00
Webbing £ 5.00
But if you are constantly doing mega miles then I would think Harness etc is the way to go .
regards
Stewart H:beerjug:

Hi Everyone

I am now the owner of a Touratech tank bag (the one without the big side bags attached).

I am fairly pleased with it - once I managed to work out how to fit it! (No instructions supplied - thanks to Gerry Huxtable who gave me some pointers).

The bag stays put even in gales, and you can still see your clocks with it expanded!

However, the separate rain-cover is a joke - don't bother with them, as they work their way off in under 20 miles if it's windy!
I think I'm going to Fabsil the bag, and throw the rain cover away.

Anyway, I'm sorted, but keep posting idea's to this thread if you think it will be of assistance to others

Thanks for all the recomendations.

Steve

Steve

I loved my R850R too but you're right....I LOVE my GS! Sorry you can't Hawes, I think it's gonna be a great one! Good luck with your new toy, will catch you soon!

Darren

Back
Top Bottom