stella

Me and my missus have time off booked for it.... but will be doing it on clapped out Funduros.. for charadee mate....

How do I find details on this rally?

A couple of searches shows lots of info, but no "official" page, with meeting times/camping details or such...

Al...

araspitfire said:
How do I find details on this rally?

A couple of searches shows lots of info, but no "official" page, with meeting times/camping details or such...

Al...

That's the beauty of it - there are none - you have to make you own arrangements.

It's really a secret rally that nobody knows about unless they look for it ... ;)

Well a kind of open secret - just be there on the Saturday to book in at the cafe by the station , is all I have ever been told.

ontheroadofftheroad said:
This looks like fun!!

When is the stella for this year?

Could you do the stella on an 1150RT?

:beer:

cheers

It's always the second weekend in July.

It has been done by Goldwings ! It's your choice :)

I`ll be there again :thumb

The heart of the drinking and social life is Bardonecchia,especially the railway station where the bar is almost open 24hrs and you can get snacks.

There`s lots of hotels in Bardo,as well as bars and eating places.

Part way up the Colle de Sommellier is the hamlet of Rochmolles which is also a popular place to stay.

A lot of people camp....but beware it is effectively 'rough camping'.

On 'Stella Alpina Day'...the second Sunday of July....you just ride up the Colle as far as you can manage....if you`ve never been or seen it,have a look in my Thread called 'I took my shiny 1100 to the Stella' ( sorry,but I can`t remember if it`s in Event/Aftermaths or Ride reports..it`s from last July or August).
Part way up the Colle you`ll find a small marquee and table where you can buy an event badge and tee shirt and get a free cheese or ham batch.
This point was often deemed the sensible highest attainable point of that particular year because you can`t always get to the top,but last year it was only about halfway up and I`d passed it before I realised what it was.

If you`re not a regular off roader you`ll be VERY tired and quite a bit scared but you`ll have a major sense of achievement afterwards.

I am hoping to be sponsored to do this, for the Neuroblastoma Society http://www.nsoc.co.uk/

My sister had non identical twins three years ago , and one of them was diagnosed with this rare cancer at six months old.

She was so lucky , she was ill with a kiddie "cold" that wasn't getting better so was taken to Alder Hey Childrens hospital for a check up. Luckily the consultatnt on duty is one of the leading experts in this rare chilhood cancer and diagnosed it. She had a tumour the size of an orange in her chest cavity that had collapsed her lung.

Tegan's tumour was in one of the "good" places and has responded very well to treatment , but will need twice yearly checkups until her late teens. Most children have 100% recovery if the cancer is identified in the first year. The majority of cases are sadly fatal, due to the delay in idetifying the causes of the symptoms.

The Society needs funds to further research , and education of other health workers to make sure it is identified before the secondaries start.

So if other first timers and any others are interested let me know. As this could be good PR for the Societys work. As well as a way of raising funds to help their aims.

tarka said:
I`ll be there again :thumb

This point was often deemed the sensible highest attainable point of that particular year because you can`t always get to the top,but last year it was only about halfway up and I`d passed it before I realised what it was.

its getting lower because they are frightened of being sued, not pushing people to hard apparently :nenau

Well - the charadee ride will be cancelled for this year - as Jules is still a long way from recovering from her SMIDSY - next year then Tarka ?

I`ll be there again too!!!!

Stella... Is Stella!!! :thumb

I suggest to camp at 2.600 mt with tent (free camping)...

I'd like to meet some UK friends :)

Dsc04541.jpg

You can do the stella on all sorts of machinery.

ontheroadofftheroad said:
This looks like fun!!

Could you do the stella on an 1150RT?

For example...a couple of years ago I saw this Dude at the top.

6047494-L.jpg

the rest of the photos to whet your appetite are here..
http://morrisons.smugmug.com/gallery/161480

I might take a scoot over there again myself. Got knocked off last year on the way back, and the weather was pissing down all weekend, so I never bothered going up the climb on the Sunday, deciding instead to head back to Nice and the sunshine early. They'd also said the road I was going to be taking (back to briancon) was going to be closed after 10am most of the day for a cycle race, so I baled early... :cool:

Depends a little bit on the weather conditions, too... On a scooter I might have given it a miss last year :D

28273627-M.jpg

Rob, are you coming to the Dolomites for the 2nd European Advrider Rally?

Ciao, Ela

Advrider rally?

Pumpy said:
Rob, are you coming to the Dolomites for the 2nd European Advrider Rally?

Ciao, Ela

I'd forgotten about that, Spanish Bob had mentioned it a while back, but I've been a bit hectic lately. I'll give him a shout and find out what the scoop is. Could always pop over for the weekend... :D

Back
Top Bottom