Goggles and glasses

rocks

Reaction score
Well its has been many years since I didnt any real off road riding. However I kind of fancy having a play again, mostly rough lanes and boats.. nothing majorly serious to start off with.. However.

I wear glasses.. so whats the answer with regards to goggles?

(Sadly contacts are out of the questions.. :( ) advice please..

I've got a pair of Scott goggles (model OTG 87) that have cut outs at each side for the leg of the glasses. They fit pretty well, although to be honest I prefer to wear single day disposable contact lenses when I'm doing a day of laning.

Another goggle related accessory I couldn't do without is a set of "Quick Straps" - replacement goggle straps with velcro on so you don't have to mess about trying to put the damn things on while wearing gloves etc.

I don't think you'd want prescription goggles for off roading, if they get covered in mud you want the option of removing them :)

Mouse is spot on, you can get goggles specifically for specs wearers.They are a bit deeper and allow for the frames. :thumb

I now wear glass when riding. If your specs are the current (fashion :nenau ), small lens and narrow sides, Progrip goggles fit over them very easily.

rocks said:
Well its has been many years since I didnt any real off road riding. However I kind of fancy having a play again, mostly rough lanes and boats.. nothing majorly serious to start off with.. However.

I wear glasses.. so whats the answer with regards to goggles?

(Sadly contacts are out of the questions.. :( ) advice please..

Mate of mine rides with his normal glasses and a Tour-X with a clear visor, he swears by the combination.

As well as Scott OTGs you could try Oakley L frames both goggles designed to be worn over glasses. Ebay seems to be the best place for the goggles.

Jim

I usually wear contact lens (dailies) and carry a spare pair with me (just in case) and nornally wear a pair of Bolle safety glasses, to protect my eyes

With the Bolle, you can change the lens from either clear to yellow (amber) or tinted :cool: , Got the from the Divida stand at the NEC last year £15.00 bargin i thought :thumb

Only one draw back, the styling is not that upto date - more cira 1975 :confused:

Thanks guys..

Had my eye test today.. and seems my stigmatism have improved, so new prescription is less intense.

As I have stigmastisms in noth eyes, contacts arent an option for me sadly..

I didnt know there were goggles made to accept glasses, so thanks folks.
I am thinking might go down the old tourx route for summer riding..

Thanks once more for the old advice and opinions..

I have astigmatism in both eyes too, but the daily disposable contacts give me good enough vision to ride a bike. I wouldn't use them for reading or work though. Also at about £1.50 a pair you wouldn't want to use them every day!

They're great for a day out on the bike, saves a lot of hassle especially if you are stopping often. I always carry my specs in a hard case in the top box though, just in case :)

But you can get a free trial from most opticians, and if they work for you just buy say 30 pairs, that amount lasts me for a year.

I also had astigmatism in both eyes and for many years wore contact lenses....they were built especially for this condition and were called "toric" lenses, worked well until a bit of grit gets in then agony!!!
laser eye surgery has meant that I no longer need specs or lenses, what a revelation, riding, skiing etc etc, but the best buzz is still waking up and being able to read the numbers on the alarm clock across the room!! :D

I've got stigmata, but please don't crucify me just for that. :D

I wear glasses & have similar problems . In particular I found that with goggles my glasses tended to mist up a lot . Why not try an open faced helmet with a visor , this works well for me & is easier to use than goggles . I use my system 4 with the Jet helmet conversion fitted & visor . Didn`t like the Off-road conversion with just the peak .
Hope this helps

Harry

Nah...you want some of these!

I swear by my Mk49's..........PROPER goggles.

Mine have the original split lenses replaced with prescription split lenses - no inserts or clip ins. Not cheap but look great with a no-visor TourX

:D

Griff :beer:

Attachments

• MK49-goggle.jpg
    MK49-goggle.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 48

Back
Top Bottom