Request for Feedback Please.

ExploringRTW

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Right you lot !

We´ve been writing for your entertainment and educashun for about 8 months now but haven´t had much feedback as to how you are enjoying sharing our travels. 4 of you have e-mailed us with positive comments to date. Thank you.

Whilst we are obviously writing this for our familes, friends and ourselves, we are also writing it for you and we´d like to know if their is anything you particularly like or dislike in our threads, so there is your invite. Please let us know.

Thanks,

Mike (and John).

It's great reading about your trip - But it's difficult when you don't really know the people involved. So i dip in and out, but don't make a point of looking to see whats happened to you day by day .

Also there's not much in the way of personal feelings and thoughts in your posts, it's all "what we saw and did today" - don't take it as a criticism, it's just my viewpoint, because thats more like the type of thing i like reading about, others will like other things.

keep posting, and i'd buy a DVD if you do one :D :D

Mike (& John)

I originaly configured this section so only yourselfs could post here, I have just altered this to allow all to post here :thumb

yep, i agree with steptoe :eek: the pics are great and it,s interesting to hear about how you got to some of the places you got to, but a little more of how you feel about the people and the places you encounter along the way,doesn,t have to be anything really deep or personal just say what you think or what thoughts enter your head, like comparing how people live in one country or culture compared to some of the places you have been to already :thumb thank,s for keeping us informed and good luck :thumb

having only recently looked through your travels, please please please keep the reports and pictures coming.

Not only facinating in itself (your travels) but also a very good resource for those of that daydream / plan of touring, especially Latin stuff (love it.)

I went to Colombia last year and have a fascination with Latin travel

Cheers me up (in a depressing sort of way) on friday afternoons too!

love it

faaaaaannnnnntasticccccccc!
i too took a trip last year like marcus to cumbria.
or did he say colombia??
keep it up, good luck. :D

Paul
I'm Glad you posted that,as I had tried posting a reply to a couple of Mike and Johns post's obviously without success.

Mike/ John just to say I have been following your travels and have enjoyed reading of them,I would also agree with Steptoe it would be to read of your thought's etc about the trip.

Keep the report's coming :thumb

K

a great read just finished reading the last few entries and then went back to the early ones, got the itchy feet syndrome now ;) what i would like to read about is about the kit youve taken and what you sent home at the beging when you had your sort out, what works and what has been the choclate tea pot. i know this could be included at the end. top read keep it up :thumb

Enjoyed your reports and your adventures very much, quite envious, keep the good work going, look forward to hearing more.

i like reading your posts and seeing your photos,
i wish i had the guts to do a rtw tour,
i like travelling, but dont think i could face the hardships you can encounter,
in less 'civilised' societys (not sure if thats he correct word to use), sourcing bike spares and finding petrol in unfamiliar territory.

so yes! keep posting,

safe journey,

half.

Paul G (BHT) said:
Mike (& John)

I originaly configured this section so only yourselfs could post here, I have just altered this to allow all to post here :thumb

Thanks Paul. I hadn´t remembered that from our original set-up. :confused:

Mike

Steptoe said:
It's great reading about your trip - But it's difficult when you don't really know the people involved. So i dip in and out, but don't make a point of looking to see whats happened to you day by day .

Also there's not much in the way of personal feelings and thoughts in your posts, it's all "what we saw and did today" - don't take it as a criticism, it's just my viewpoint, because thats more like the type of thing i like reading about, others will like other things.

keep posting, and i'd buy a DVD if you do one :D :D

Thanks Steptoe for your input. I haven´t taken it personally so-to-speak but I´ll have a chat with John to see if we think we can make it a bit more "personal" so you get a better idea of how we experience things as we go along. This also applies to all of you who have raised similar preferences.
Thanks again for responding.

Mike (& John)

STUBBS said:
a great read just finished reading the last few entries and then went back to the early ones, got the itchy feet syndrome now ;) what i would like to read about is about the kit youve taken and what you sent home at the beging when you had your sort out, what works and what has been the choclate tea pot. i know this could be included at the end. top read keep it up :thumb

Hi Stubbs,

Thanks for your input. I´m not sure if you´ve seen it but we did create a list of bike equipment we originally started out with in one of the first few entries. With respect to what we´ve sent home, that is almost an ongoing saga. I personally have sent 3 loads home and John has done similarly. I´ll have a chat with John about creating a "what we could live without" type-list. Typical things so far has been too much clothing(in excess of 7 days worth) and travel guides which we´re for ever turning over as we change countries or continents.

Regards,
Mike

half_empty1 said:
i like reading your posts and seeing your photos,
i wish i had the guts to do a rtw tour,
i like travelling, but dont think i could face the hardships you can encounter,
in less 'civilised' societys (not sure if thats he correct word to use), sourcing bike spares and finding petrol in unfamiliar territory.

so yes! keep posting,

safe journey,

half.

Hi half-empty,

Thanks for your input. I don´t think anybody who knows John or I would put us in the Indiana Jones category of World travellers BUT you learn as you go along, and you get a little wiser as to how to approach differing circumstances. Some days are stressful(the first border crossings in central America, Johns accident etc) and other days you are blown away by what you see and do. You learn to take it at yours (and your mates) own pace.

If you would seriously like to do something similar to us I can understand many logical reasons why somebody wouldn´t want to BUT I really want to encourage you (and anybody else reading) not to just let fear of the unknown prohibit you from stepping out of your comfort zone and experiencing what´s out there(here). When all said and done, whilst the food is not always to your liking and driving habits deteriorate significantly once in thrid world countries, the natives manage to live eating the food (there are normally western style options in the larger cities if you really need a McD´s to settle your stomach)and most seem to survive thier driving too. Against even that though, Phil and I caught our first real glimpse of the Andes the other evening and were both overwhelmed with thier beauty(and that was on a day after having a spill on a road covered in wet tar(looking like water) where my BMW suit is now covered with tar, and my bike suffered a few breakages too. You just can´t put a $ value on what you see and experience.

I hope this is helpful.

Regards,
Mike

It's great to read the reports and thanks for letting us all see how you're both getting on. It certainly inspires me to want to go out and do something other than commute up and down the A1 :thumb

Guys, great reading, as afr as I am concerned. If nothing else, I enjoy dreaming about doing something like that, even if it is not possible for various reasons. Keep it coming, and good luck to ya both.

Enjoy

:beer:

As with the previous replies, it all makes very interesting reading and just makes me wish I had the balls to do something similar. I wish you well and will continue to follow your progress.

With best wishes from Scotland.

Andy

John Taylor here

Hello, Mike and John. I' ve just come back from 3 wks up in the mountains of Colon, totally out of touch. Glad to be able to catch up on your travels. :thumb I've just now opened the site, so haven't read the last updates yet. How is John doing with his leg? How are both of you. Would like to hear from you. email me at taylorjohnw1@cs.com

Always interested in how you guys are doing, and cheering you on all the way. :clap

I'll lift a glass in toast to you fellows. :beerjug:
John

We´ve been writing for your entertainment and educashun for about 8 months now but haven´t had much feedback as to how you are enjoying sharing our travels. 4 of you have e-mailed us with positive comments to date. Thank you.

Whilst we are obviously writing this for our familes, friends and ourselves, we are also writing it for you and we´d like to know if their is anything you particularly like or dislike in our threads, so there is your invite. Please let us know.

Thanks,

Mike (and John).[/QUOTE]

ExploringRTW said:
Typical things so far has been too much clothing(in excess of 7 days worth) and travel guides which we´re for ever turning over as we change countries or continents.

Umm making up my packing list for Africa ...

Clothing

4 pairs of socks and undies (ware one, wash and dry one and 2 spares)
3 shirts
1 pair long pants - with zip off legs
1 pair shorts that double as swimmers
1 jacket
1 set of thermals
1 sun hat
1 warm hat that doubles as a neck warmer
4 hankies
1 mossie net hat
1 poncho for the wet times
1 pair joggers

And that is it for clothing ... less is more.

I'll probably send stuff home too, but it will be souvenirs .. not stuff I started with .. I'll probably through that away as it wares out.

Sorry - have not looked at your stuff yet .. busy thinking about my own trip ..

Back
Top Bottom