Black Engine Finish

simonm

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anyone out there got any comments on the black finished engine and telelever?

My dealer claims it's more durable which could be a factor as I ride all year and Yorkshire is the salt capital of the world. Problem for me is I don't like the way the engine looks with the Graphitan paint job - the finish would need to be way better to overcome my cosmetic objections. Sad I know, but true.

Simon

Black engine

I spoke to a dealer about two weeks ago regarding the black finish.

He reckons that it is as good as the silver and that in Europe they sell more black than silver. Could be worth asking some Northern Europen riders for any experiences they have of the finish in bad weather.
I have been told that we use far more salt on our roads than other countries with even worse weather. BMW did not sell the black finish here for years, could that be a reason?

Whatever, the black looks v good, especially on the blue/white bike.:)

Have got my 1150 with black engine/telelever since september 2001, and had quite some salt last winter and spring in the Eiffel/Ardennes. Until now, at 20.000km, no problems with the paint!

Attachments

• dakar.jpg
    dakar.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 473
What colour is the silver?

I have been chasing some silver engine laquer for my 1100, all year rider's bane. But my dealer is having a time identifying it. Any other suggestions?

Stephen

BLACK ENGINE....

YO SIMON WAS AT THE BMF SHOW SAT & THERE WAS A GRAPHITAN + BLACK FINISH BIKE AT THE CLUB STAND, MUST SAY IT LOOKED THE DOG'S BOLLOC##'S , I HAVE ORDERED ONE OF THESE IN THAT COLOUR, HAV'NT HEARD ANY BAD COMMENT'S ON FINISH.................

Salt on the engine.

(I hope I do this right, my first time on ''gsclubuk'')
If you have problem with salt on your bike, try to ask members of the Norwegian BMW-club. I think maybe the capital of salt is in Norway! http://bmw.mc.no/ . Gjestebok=guestbook, left on the first page. Lykke til! (Good luck!)
Liv, Norway.

GAZZA

YES A GREAT LOOKING BIKE [ GRAPHITAN-BLACK ENGINE ] CAN'T WAIT TO GET MY ONE, GOT A TITAN SILVER ONE WITH RED SEAT AT MOMENT, ANY WAY HAD A LOOK AT YOUR BIKE AND THOSE CORBIN SEAT'S LOOK GOOD FOR LONG DISTANCE? ARE THEY DEAR? :confused:

As John says megga bucks for new. But I took Johns advice and asked around on the GS club to see if by chance anyone had a seat they wanted to sell. Luckily one of our fellow GS'ers was trading up to a Adventure and sold me his immaculate Corbins.
Hope you are as lucky. :) :beerjug:
sun0505%20002.jpg

Last edited:
BAZZA

I THINK THE LINK IS BROKEN?????? BUT I'LL GO FISHING FOR IT!!!

Gazza nice seat.
BUT - have you taped up the black subframe and silver rack , because the Corbin's bigger , it rub's the frame /rack etc (there has to be a downside to comfort).If not all your paint will be rubbed off and all will go rusty and this won't be covered by BMW as we shouldn't have changed the seat. Just a word of warning.

Hi John,thanks for that I hadn't heard about that problem. Is it both seats or just one that causes the trouble :confused:

gazza said:
That was my bike on the GS stand. Although I have only had this GS a month or so the finish looks fine. My old Mandarin GS did suffer blistering to the bottom of the fork legs, but apart from that the old bike was fine.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/gary.brentnall/bmw.htm
Hi Gary, Just had a llok at your web site and I have to ask, is Nottingham anywhere near the North Pole? Reason I ask is the clock on your GS in the last piccie (showing Garmin V & Mount) definatley says its 20 minutes to midnight, and yet I can;t help thinking the picture looks like it was taken broad daylight. So do tell my friend what part of Nottingham is also home to the land of the Midnight sun? :D :D :D

Well Spotted.

Hi Andy, hmmm, first price in the spot the cock up picture. I had just been altering some wiring so disconnected the battery and then forgot to reset the clock. I just tell everyone it was outside my chalet in Anchorage. Funny no one believes me.

;)

Back
Top Bottom