Morocco 3rd Party Insurance

Greg Masters

'Don't mess with me' Member
Mod Squad
Reaction score
Insuring the bike for Morocco

Wreford and I are off to the Sahara next month in what has variously been described as a week of lunacy.

My bike is insured through the BMW Scheme with Equity Red Star (using Devitt as the broker). The current insurance covers the bike for all of Europe, but, the last time I looked, Morocco is in North Africa.

I rang the broker this morning and they confirmed (as expected) that the insurance did not extend to Morocco. But worse, they said that they couldn't offer any insurance to cover that risk.

Any ideas where I can obtain cover (principally for theft!!)?

Greg

Research suggests it is almost impossible to get. A big chain and an imobiliser will beat the local bike theives. The rest you carry if its worth anything (camera, GPS etc.). The legally required third part stuff you get at the border but watch the price.

Try the horizons unlimited site or the adventure motorcyclists site for better information from someone who's actually been to Morocco on a bike!

BTW I have nothing nice to say about Devitt DA. They seem able to confuse a URAL with a Fireblade 7 months into the policy! Even the insurance ombudsman thought that was funny!

Andy

Greg for Ethiopia/Sudan/Eritrea/Djibouti etc, but not Somalia, my insurers gave 3rd party fire and theft with a £10K ceiling and no life cover for £58 extra per week. Just ask your insurance company to approach their underwriters. The life cover was included in the travel insurance and works out at roughly £50 a month for African countries. An Arabic or French translation of the medical and repatriation section of the policy is essential - most decent medical facilities are private clinics who will accept your insurance. Morocco is now considered low risk so you could also ask your household insurers what cover they might be able to arrange. I've just got cover for the Libyan trip, at a price, but the AA had to get a deal out of the underwriters with reduced and/or some excluded cover, which seems to be the norm. If your car insurance is more established/longer running try adding the bike to that policy on a temporary basis as sometimes those policies are less restictive or travel disclosure is not mandatory.

Chris

Young Masters so it's a little jolly with that black marketeer Wreford is it. Two red blooded adventurers astride their mounts oozing testosterone across the Sahara - what an image ;) !

Daphne

When I went to Morocco a couple of years ago, a green card was available from Norwich Union. Although they told me it wasn't necessary. ********! I took their advice and went with out it. Had to buy insurance at the border xing out of Cueta. Probably worthless but they wouldn't let me in without it.

Recently got a Green Card for the Balkans from Norwich Union and the Certficate included options for Morroco, Tunisia, Iraq (not likely), Iran,Israel. mmmmmm!!!!!!!! Guess where 2003 travels will be I wonder.

I've been there 5 times so........

I've been to "MAROC" twice on the GS, twice on mountain bike and once in hire car, so anyone wants info feel free to give me a call or whatever.
I hope to go back early next year for 10 days, not sure of details yet.
Insurance-I am also with Red Star and in the past morocco was considered part of Europe and no problem getting cover. They stopped it this year however, and you can buy cover inexpensively at the border (recommend Ceuta, via Algiceras) for around £20.
Main thing I would say is DONT DRIVE AT NIGHT. Otherwise the rest is easy.
Procedure at the border can be a bit of a pain unless you pay a "guide" to take from one window to the next and fill in your forms.

Why not drive at night (or would I not want to know the answer)?

Greg

donkeys have no tail........lights!

donkeys and bricks 'n things lying in the road have no lights and if you hit one you're in deep s**t! It's the one piece of advice I've had repeated over and over again by locals so it's probably sensible to take it on board. In some parts, more so in the north, there's quite a bit of "weed" being grown also, with shifty characters present. Rumour has it one of the reasons Red Star withdrew cover from this country was also because of an increased occurrence of opportunists jumping out in front of rich foreign bikers and getting knocked down and pursuing accident claims.
This all sounds worse than it probably is and I wouldn't wish to put anyone off. As I said, I hope to do another quick blast to maroc in the future. Anyone fancy a trip give me a bell or if you're going alone and want a few recommendations of places to stay do likewise.
Camping-it's a matter of personal preference. I've lugged all the gear with me and found it unneccessary as hotels are v. cheap.

Must go do some work (6.00am) as I work in a brewery and get paid to taste beer all day. awful but someone's got to do it.

Morocco Insurance

I know that one or two or you are planning a trip to Morocco in the coming months. Statistically, about half of you will be insured through the BMW Scheme with Equity Red Star and you may already have discovered that ERS will NOT extend cover to Morocco (but you can't get into Maroc without insurance).

One option would be to buy insurance at the Maroc border. But, hey guys, it's hard enough making a claim against an insurance company when they speak the same lingo and are based just down the road. Can you imagine the ag in dealing with some grubby company in Fez after your pride and joy has been written off and you've been airlifted back to Barnsley General?

So, on your behalf, I wrote after I got back from Morocco to the CEO of Cox Insurance (who own the ERS brand) and to the CEO of BMW (GB) Ltd.

So far I haven't had a reply. But from various conversations at the NEC this week it seems that my letters have found their target.

I am told that the companies are reviewing the situation and there are likely to be some changes - not least because BMW themselves are organising a bike trip to Morocco.

Watch this space.

Greg

insurance

Greg thanks for that. I will be interested to see what happens. In the past ERS gave me insurance and a green card but like several others this year I discovered they wouldn't and insurance had to be purchased at the border. Not expensive but as you say I wouldn't fancy having to pursue a claim.
I read with interest the threads re overlander trip next may and although interested it is likely to be too late for me. If one has done it before then the £200 fee paid to carry one's gear and provide backup might be better spent on other things? (no offence meant to others)
I might be "doing it myself" around march (not so hot) so anyone finds the earlier start suits them better is welcome to contact me.

carpe hydrobates pelagicus

the insurance needed for Morocco is, like in any other country, THIRD PARTY ONLY. This is the stuff you buy at the border.
I'm assuming you are looking for compreensive cover. I'll be very surprise if anyone come with a reasonable offer.
You can have it now, but the price is astronomical.

I'm having trouble getting insurance for the bike in Morocco, apparently I can get 3rd Party at the border has anyone done this? and if so whats the ballpark price.

I guess with the kidnappings in Algeria the UK insurance companies have decided to ditch insurance in Morocco for the time being.

Cheers

Jim

Third party insurance is available at the border for £20 I believe. However if you are insured with Carol Nash they will send a revised Ins certificate which includes cover for Morocco for nowt.
Tim

However, Carole Nash are almost £100 over what I've been quoted for renewal...............:eek:

£20 at the border it is then! :D

I have recently got an extension to my Norwich Union Direct Policy, £37.00 fully comp for ten days in Morocco, I thought it was a good deal.

Baz

They said a defnite "no" when I asked :( ..........................The again, with the war and all these European bikers going missing in Algeria, I get the feeling maybe they're all playing a bit careful at the mo................

Jon.

When given a negative answer or one I don't like, I ring back a few hours later, speak to someone else and often get a different answer.

Last week only economy class cabins were available on my return sailing. Two hours later it's economy or 2 berth outside.

On one Monday last month there was a delivery time of 6 weeks for Ohlins. When I rang the next day to order they were pulled off the shelf and delivered Wednesday.

It'll only cost you a phone and who knows.

Russ

It was 40 Euro's for 5 days cover at the border 3 weeks ago.
As for Carole Nash, they twice promised they would send me a revised certificate, but it never arrived.........
I'm waiting for a refund on the cover purchased (about 27 pounds)

Back
Top Bottom