Mounting RAM parts onto a 12GSA

RAM-man

depleted member !
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am thankful to 'Darkhorse' who called in to get some bits to fit his 12GSA and I had a chance to look over it. So to 'Shenzi' and others who have asked, here's my thoughts.

Darkhorse says he will post some pics later onto the thread.

Tubular handlebar rails
The U-bolts mounts are Ok, so typical mount kit parts; RAM-B-149, 149Z and 149ZA or a camera mount RAM-B-149Z-C1 will attach.

Oval rail
The oval rail up and over the clocks (same as the 12GS) use same U-bolt mounts RAM-B-149, 149Z and 149ZA plus the shim adaptor, RAP-319. Arm length (standard or short) is a personal choice but I liked the RAM-B-149ZA with short arm plus cradle, even for a 2610, but what's in an inch anyway :D .

Windscreen rail bar
Again use a RAM U-bolt mount and RAP-319 shim adaptor. Depending upon the gps unit, my thoughts are RAM-B-149ZA (short arm) for 2610 and RAM-B-149Z with 3" standard arm for say a Quest ?. The Windscreen rail is thinner, but with the RAP-319 shim added it still allows the nyloc nuts to be tightened.

For added padding, a rubber wrap around may be useful.

RAM-man

some photos

Attachments

• IMG_0815.jpg
    IMG_0815.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 442
  • IMG_0814.jpg
    IMG_0814.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 433
  • IMG_0816.jpg
    IMG_0816.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 418
  • IMG_0818.jpg
    IMG_0818.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 411
Use a ram mount myself on the 1200GS-A, similar position, but you can use the BMW/Garmin GPS mount (more secure and lockable, and holds the electrical connection in place, plus has a 'holder' for it when GPS not mounted) ...

... the two mounting holes of the ram mount are the same distance apart as the diagonal mounting holes of the BMW Garmin mount... if you know what I mean :confused:

www.adventure.gs

Here's a thread with photos I started on ADVrider.

I made a bracket that clamps to the clock surround to bolt the RAM mount to.
As you progress through the thread you'll see that from my initial design (posts #35 to #39) I fettled & modified the bracket to what it has become today (posts #53 & #54).

I'm very happy with it now. :thumb2

my 2610 is mounted in exactly the same way as darkhorse. i have the garmin cradle as well, and yes it is lockable, but it's so close to the windshield it's too damn fiddly to get the key thing in. i use the RAM cradle & easily remove unit when leaving bike :)

Back
Top Bottom