Gorilla Grip???Will it peel the paint job?????

Alper, Steve

Hullo all,

Was considering using Surf Board grippy foam stuff (Gorilla Grip) on my tank, Its real purpose is intended for decks of surf boards for better traction while on wave etc...

Its made from foam and 3M glue on the back for mounting. Due to the nature of intended use sea, sand salt and generally harsh marine conditions. The glue I take is of very high standard? Therefore could it, after a period of time peel the paint off tank when trying to remove or change design?????? I kinda need a spot to lean on while mounting/dismounting the bike as I have height issues!!!!!

The product is sold in "surf shops" down here in Australia and is considerably more durable and less costly than the offerings I have seen on sale over the net or at moto shops. The designs are extensive and range in colours, easily shaped using a blade, therefore could make excellent protection layer in high wear areas around the Beamer.

Also! May I say this site is incredible one of the finest examples BB boards around!

Ciao

from downunda

Hi Steve, welcome aboard.

I'd have thought that there's every chance it'll take your paint off when you remove it. To ask a rather obvious question - why? There are a pleth of tank protectors, stick on patches, tank bras etc available to counter this exact problem and designed for exactly this job - why use something which has clearly been designed for something else in a different environment?

MikeO:confused:

Steve,

Welcome to the site... I'm sure you'll enjoy the bike is Oz....

Totally agree with Mike O, if the product was designed for boards it will probably trash the paintwork on the tank.

If you could explain what the problem is re: "height issues" , there are loads of guys here who will try and put you on the right route.

I've got a tank protector that takes one hell of a hammering, commuting in London every day can be a nightmare, so I'm sure there is a suitable product on the market that will sort your problem out.

Best of luck,

Dave.

Why not try sticking some onto a hidden area of a mate's car, then yank it off and see if the paint comes with it.
Tim:grndevil

Why not use a specifically designed tank patch or protector? Simple unable to locate a decent product in Sydney that would suit the GS while remaining at reasonable cost! Locally BMW only sell approx 10-20 GS model bikes around the Sydney CBD annually. Therefore after market/product support for the GS is very limited in range.

My bike lives very close to beach is garaged however salt is a real problem, the Telelever, thingy (gray in colour) that supports inner strut for example began to rust after 2 weeks (have raised issue with dealer). Have to give the bike a tub every week and spray lightly with WD 40 every second week around rust prone spots such as the one mentioned above.

Based on my experience covering the tank with a bikini type product such as Bagster tank guard produces “dulling” around the tanks exposed edges where salt and grime can enter. In the long term it results as light sanding action in the direction of pressure all over the tank due to naturally occurring movement while riding. I have had this happen personally therefore bit averse to trying Bagster on $20000 AUD bike, that’s about 3 pounds in English speak!!!!!!

I spoke to numerous people who suspect that glue used on these non-slip board products is identical type glue used for sticky type patches by after market bike products. However they the (surf board product) come in huge range of colours, designs are very averse to general wear and tear.

In conclusion, if anyone has any ideas about another solution would be very thankful. However as mentioned any product that does not stick to surface of tank is not ideal option in my case. I cannot locate a good tank guard over the net as it’s hard to judge how it’s to function on the bike in real life.

All the best and happy Easter

Regards,

Steve

hi steve

I still cant imagine why you need to lean on the tank because of your height as I am a short arse myself, but as stillettos are so impractical on a GS you could try

cyclegadgets.com

There is a weird looking mount for a tipping tank bag that stands off the filler cap to protect the paint that you maybe able to fabricate into something useful.

Or try http://www.wunderlich.de/

They sell a lower seat (4cms)

good luck mate!

:beerjug:

timolgra said:
Why not try sticking some onto a hidden area of a mate's car, then yank it off and see if the paint comes with it.
Tim:grndevil

a "Mate's" car??????????

:bash

Back
Top Bottom