Romania

Garry H

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Thinking of going to Romania in june/july has anyone got any tips/advise
Thanks

Went through Romania last year on my way back from the Middle East and loved it. Travelled from Giurgiu on the Bulgarian border to Oradea on the Hungarian border travelling NW. Gave Bucharest a miss and it did not look inviting from the ring road. Country flat until Pitesti and then the Carpathian mountains start. Fantastic scenery. Well worth a visit. Stayed in a little pension in Turda, a pleasant little town. Cluj Napoca, just north, well worth a visit. Did the Turda gorge and though the road is poor the scenery is great. Spent a few days in Oradea, a lovely town with lots of interesting Austro Hungarian architecture.

Not expensive and the people lovely. Still very poor and roads can be "exciting" i.e. potholed and deteriorating. Enjoy yourself.

:) :) We should learn from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism. :) :)

I am going in June and I will set base camp in Arad . July/August can be hot and humid.

Visited and travelled around a few years ago. (Sadly by car mostly) Fantastic mountain walks relatively clearly marked and wonderful wall murals in the monastries. Watch out for herds of cows, horses, people and water Buffalo in the early evening! A wonderful country well worth the trip.

has anyone got any tips/advise

speak to MrIfan or Gavin Bell - resident experts - over there at the moment and have thier own company taking guided tours.

Use the search facility as well - lots of info.

Back
Top Bottom