I've just iced my GPS V.....

mpriestley

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just attempted to download the most recent Beta up grade from the Garmin site. Everything going swimmingly, GPSV, having erased previous knowledge, is happily installing latest top notch version 2.12 or somesuch, and then with just 1min 29 secs to go, stops. "Missing software" it states on its little grey screen...retry, as per instructions on download site...same result at the same stage. Go and make cup of tea, come back, GPSV is no longer showing any message or indeed any sign of life, its screen is blank. No amount of fiddling, pushing start button, changing batteries, trying mains cord has any effect. GPSV is toast. Only had it 9months and I just hope I can find the receipt....

Mark, contact Garmin UK and explain the situation... these guys really are most helpful. Let us know hpw you get on.

Seem to remember doing something similar to my 3+.

If it's the same thing all you need to do is reinstall the software. I suggest you talk to Garmin who are really good.

I can't give you any detailed instruction because a windows using friend did it for me. I do recall him saying it was an easy enough.

Russ.

Garmin Tech Support

Go to the Garmin website and I am sure there is a link to European tech support who you can then email. My III+ started taking in water on the LED screen in rain last year. I emailed tech support and they suggested I send it to their UK office, they checked it out and sent me a brand new unit to replace it....I didn't have to show a receipt and my unit was a couple of years old. Excellent service.

Mark,

There is a way to do a reset on a StreetPilot III. I have no idea whether this works on a gps V too, but as it's dead already...

Here's the procedure:

"Normal" reset:
- push and hold ROUTE button
- switch power on

"Master" reset (all user data will be erased)
- Push QUIT + ROUTE + UP (rocker pad) at the same time
- Press and release Power
- Release UP
- Wait 15 seconds
- SPIII starts to boot
- release all buttons

If this doesn't help, look for the proper reset procedure for a gps V I'd say...
Good luck!
Michel

Maybe try a fresh set of batteries, if they died mid way through the down load, software will not be fully installed. It's just a thought but it may be a possibility. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom