Campsite in the piccos.. and how long..

rocks

Reaction score
Right, folks.. anyone spent time camping the piccos mountains area, and could recommend a campsite for the first couple of days..?

Also.. anyone got any idea how long it would reasonably take to get ride down from calais into the piccos region?

Cheers
John

Depends whether you use autoroutes, how fast you go, and how long you ride for.

If the answers are yes, 90mph and 10 hours per day, it's feasible to do Calais to Bordeaux in one day. Day two would see you there by early afternoon.

Tim

Taking it easy..

I tend to use major roads when wanting to cover distance.. so autoroutes, yes.. 7 hrs in the saddle is enough for me.. given a couple of stops.. and
i cruise at 70mph or the local limit. So i guess that will be two days. Which is kinda what i figured.

Seems work might be able to let me have my hols sooner than originally planned, so... looking ferries and routes etc.

Cheers

John

When are you going? I'm planning on camping/hiking in the Picos after the Princetown GS club meet in September. I'm going to get the Sunday pm ferry from plymouth to Santander, spend 5 or so days in the Picos then ride back via Millau bridge + Samur.

Timing..

Hi Dave,
I have 18days worth of hols to take from work before mid july, so looking at 15 day trip into piccos and then up through france and into alps.

So was my plan.. still is, but i was looking at going toward end of may, then things got tricky and i might have to depart a lot earlier..

BUT.. i might be up for a second trip in sept, depending on how this first one works out.

Finding it hard to find english information on spanish campsites..lol..

And also looking at head to the TT event in may.. choices..choices..choices..lol..

John, I have er, a Spanish lady friend ;) who occasionally works as a tour guide in the Picos. If you get really stuck for info I'll be speaking with her soon. Next time your'e in Betws give me a shout or if your'e at Llangollen I can pass on a few good places to see. But no you can't have her address :nono
Tim

"Oh you ladies of spain.."

Hi Tim,
Yep any tips/adive etc much appreciated.. Still cannot decide where to go and what to do..and I am running out of time..lol.. and all will be done with system panniers and topbox. :eek:

Oh well, its an adventure and supposed to be challenge isnt it??

JOhn

rocks said:
Finding it hard to find english information on spanish campsites..lol..

Contact the Spanish Tourist Board in the UK, they will send you a free map and directory of recommended campsites in Spain.

Or try this....

http://www.fedcamping.com/camping_esp_en.htm

Pick the region you are visiting from the drop down menu.

The site is in Spanish but it's not difficult to work out from the pictures what facilities are available. The price lists are in Euro's.

I'll be there from 15th May, Picos then up through Pyrenees, to northern France. I'm heading for the TT rally to meet up with Bert.

Back
Top Bottom