Will Monaco F1 GP affect my Alps/Route napoleon trip?

Bateman

Reaction score
I'm off on a bike trip towards the end of May, which will see me doing the second half of the Route napoleon on Sunday May 28th, heading to Nice for lunch and then onto menton to head north on the route des grandes alpes (depending on what is open). However, I see that the Monaco Formula 1 is also on 28th May when I was planning to pass thru on the way to Menton. Whilst I realise I can probably skirt around Monaco to get to Menton, how likely is this too mess up that days plans? Would I be better starting the trip near Geneva. going south through the alps and coming up the Route napoleon? Its my main bike trip for the year so I gotta get it the direction i go right....Bloody car racing!

I was in Monaco a few years back, the day before the GP, and the whole place was one huge traffic jam consisting of the most exotic and desirable vehicles (and one Peugeot hire car) going nowhere. It may be better on race day, but I'd be surprised if that were the case.
Unless things have changed dramatically over the last few years, I'd steer clear if you're on a schedule.

Phil

Bateman, this is not bloody car racing :D I got my Tickets for GP ready. Leaving two-up on 23rd of may! :thumb

Bateman said:
I'm off on a bike trip towards the end of May, which will see me doing the second half of the Route napoleon on Sunday May 28th, heading to Nice for lunch and then onto menton to head north on the route des grandes alpes (depending on what is open). However, I see that the Monaco Formula 1 is also on 28th May when I was planning to pass thru on the way to Menton. Whilst I realise I can probably skirt around Monaco to get to Menton, how likely is this too mess up that days plans? Would I be better starting the trip near Geneva. going south through the alps and coming up the Route napoleon? Its my main bike trip for the year so I gotta get it the direction i go right....Bloody car racing!

I'd do it the other way round if I was you. :thumb

Andy

Ps Don't forget to fit in a lap of the Gorge du Verdun if you have time.

Grande Route Des Alpes:

Attachments

• France Spain 2005 084a.jpg
    France Spain 2005 084a.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 121
I've got myself a ticket for the monaco GP (sunday only) as I am passing through, but havent got any accomodation sorted yet - there will be two of us on GS's with tents.

Anyone have any tips, recommendations etc for useful accomadation around monaco over the gp - camping or hotel.

Also, I was planning on using publice transport to get from campsite/hotel to monaco - I assume this is the best way, or is it quite easy to get in and out and park on race day?

Humbug said:
I'd do it the other way round if I was you. :thumb

Andy

Ps Don't forget to fit in a lap of the Gorge du Verdun if you have time.

Grande Route Des Alpes:

Do you mean start near Geneva, head south, ending up in Menton, then coming up the route napolean from Grasse to Gap?

cyprys said:
Bateman, this is not bloody car racing :D I got my Tickets for GP ready. Leaving two-up on 23rd of may! :thumb

It could have been naked three-legged lesbian racing for all I care and it would still interfere with my trip. :D Then again, i could be tempted to make a detour to catch the finish :clap

Have a good one :thumb

Monaco GP

Thank you Bateman :thumb

hi rkydd, you might want to try this
http://www.monte-carlo.mc/hotel-diana-beausoleil/

50 Euro for 2 persons one night in the heart of monte carlo!!!don't know about availability but just give it a try.me and my wife staying at Nice at friends appartment so i wasn't looking for hotels;(
campings?try this.
http://www.camping.fr/Recherche/monaco.html
it is french but most of sites are in english.good luck.
if not there is a lot of campings on the italian side;)
me and my wife cannot wait anymore.we are leaving on 23rd of May on a GS.we have 2 seats for sunday in Sector K!!!
don't know about parking facilities over GP weekend but i will let you know ASAP.
marcin

thanks cyprys, useful links.

There are going to be two of us there, also in sector K (sunday only) both on GS's. We should try and locate each other on race day for a coffee.

I cant wait either, however am taking the scenic route there and back :D . Depart UK on 18may and will be at LeMans for the MotoGP first, then Monaco, then return via Mugello for the Italian MotoGP.

Rich

coffee is a good Idea but it depends who in F1 you support :D
wee joke.I've got seats in row A, places 6 & 7.we should find one another.after GP we set for Laigueglia just 30 miles away from MOnaco to visit old friends. gonna stay there for about 2 days.then Munchen, visiting my brother and then Heidelberg, another friend.hope to do few laps on Nurburgring :thumb
you gonna have quite a all-possible-gp-races trip.Jolly good!

Back
Top Bottom