Street Pilot III for 1200GS - mounting tips?

Speedy23

Hi all, just received my £150 SP III - lot of kit for the money :D :D :D Has anyone got any suggestions on how best to mount it on a 1200GS? The supplied RAM mount looks a bit agricultural - not to mention a tight fit inside the screen. Is it possible to mount the unit on a cross bar on the handlebars? Any pictures, etc., muchly appriciated.

Thanks

Jan

Speedy23 said:
Hi all, just received my £150 SP III - lot of kit for the money :D :D :D Has anyone got any suggestions on how best to mount it on a 1200GS? The supplied RAM mount looks a bit agricultural - not to mention a tight fit inside the screen. Is it possible to mount the unit on a cross bar on the handlebars? Any pictures, etc., muchly appriciated.Thanks Jan

The supplied RAM mount looks a bit agricultural :mad: but it does the job!.
The U-bolt will fit around the tubular handlebars, to attach around the oval rail above the clock add a RAP-319. It may help if you take the screen off as well.

Is it possible to mount the unit on a cross bar on the handlebars? Yes.

RAM-man

RAM-man said:
The supplied RAM mount looks a bit agricultural :mad: but it does the job!.
The U-bolt will fit around the tubular handlebars, to attach around the oval rail above the clock add a RAP-319. It may help if you take the screen off as well.

Is it possible to mount the unit on a cross bar on the handlebars? Yes.

RAM-man

Thanks Steve - what bits would I need to do the crossbar mount? Are there pics on your site?

Cheers

Jan

Here is a standard SP3 (Motorrad Navigator 1) mount from BMW for the cross bar on R1150GS mounted on a home made cross bar on the R12GS.

gps_mount.jpg

miniruta_2.jpg

A few pics of mine!
A good view of the screen, easily in reach - when you're stationary - and at arms length so no reading glasses needed!
IMG_3979.jpg

Fits snugly behind the screen
IMG_3980.jpg

I used a different RAM base for mounting it on the screen bar.
IMG_3981.jpg

I also modified the RAM top mount to allow me to use the mount in the car too....
IMG_3982.jpg

delicately attacked with a chainsaw and teeth!
IMG_3983.jpg

Hi Walti

walti said:
A few pics of mine!
A good view of the screen, easily in reach - when you're stationary - and at arms length so no reading glasses needed!
IMG_3979.jpg

Fits snugly behind the screen
IMG_3980.jpg

I used a different RAM base for mounting it on the screen bar.
IMG_3981.jpg

I also modified the RAM top mount to allow me to use the mount in the car too....
IMG_3982.jpg

delicately attacked with a chainsaw and teeth!
IMG_3983.jpg

What is/are the part numbers for the bracket that attaches to the screen mounting bar?

This looks like just what I need.

Thanks

Jan

Humbug said:
Does anybody know if this mount can be used with an MRA Vario Touring Screen or only the standard screen?

Thanks.

Andy

As you can see from this photo, I've mounted the GPS as far forward as possible, if the screen is further back then the arm can be set forward to move away from the screen, so I'd guess so.

IMG_3980.jpg

Humbug said:
Thanks Walti. :thumb

Looking at the pics, Walti has used a RAM-B-108 strap clamp mount, though you could use the normal U-bolt mount RAM-B-149 series plus the RAP-319 shim adaptor plus add rubber strip (though some may consider its optional). The U-bolt bracket has an inverted V which locates onto one side of the oval rail and so secures the mount into position.

RAM-man

Back
Top Bottom