My Three-month ride around the US

Paul Rochdale

Reaction score
Just a short note to let people know that on Tuesday I fly to New York to begin my three-month bike ride around the US. Not on the GS I'm afraid but on my Pan European. The bike is presently in mid-Atlantic on board one of the massive Wallenius Wilhelmsen ferries and is due to dock at port Newark on the 12th.

In 2002 I flew to Vancouver and rode down to the Mexican border before looping up to New England and Toronto, so this time I want to re-visit a few of the same places plus ride to the Mid-west.

My route is as follows - NY, Washington DC, Blue Ridge Parkway, a Pan rally in Virginia, Nashville, Minnisota, Mount Rushmore, Little Big Horn (Custer's Last Stand), Yellowstone, Mount Evans (North Americas highest road), Monument Valley, Bryce Canyon, Las Vegas, Death Valley, Yosemite, San Francisco, LA, Tucson and Houston. I haven't work out a route back to NY yet.

My wife is flying out to LV and we'll ride to SF together. After a lot of aggrevation with the visa - one is needed for the US when a stay exceeds 90 days - it'll be a relief to actually begin the ride.

I'll keep in touch with the message board when I visit internet cafes en route.

For those who are interested and wish to read my travelog, please look in to http://groups.msn.com/FROMSEATOSHININGSEAANDBACK

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Hey you lucky guy! I don't think the guys know what kind of riding your in for. Don't forget to get over to the famous Deals Gap (Dragon) on rt 129 in Tennessee. You can get there from the Blue Ridge Parkway.

The "tail of the Dragon" which is Route 129 lies between North Carolina and Tennessee. Some of the most spectacular twisty riding you will ever do.

Theres something like 318 curves in 11 miles.. it's outragous !

Also do check out Cherahola Skyway.. this road has long long sweeping curves :D

I'm including a link to the Dragon..

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/index.html

Enjoy your ride.
Howard :clap

Hope you've got a huge memory card on your camera :D

Best of luck. :thumb

mutter mutter bloody lucky git mutter mutter

lucky barsteward..............hope you have a good un :thumb

Howard

I rode the Dragon in 2002, two up on the Pan, and I'd NEVER ridden a road like it. Some of the bends were so tight and so cambered it was like riding around the rim of a bath tub. Sensational. And the Cherahola Highway was pretty damned good as well. Yes, I'm really looking forward to the entire trip as I love the States - the people, the scenery, the way of life. OK, the TV is crap but just about everything else is great. And it would be nice to get away from media stories about John Prescott, Tony Bliar, footballers in hotel rooms, crowded roads in the South East, and so on.

Well after a quiet 2007, just a trip to the Isle of Man TT races, I'm thinking about a couple of biggish trips this year - to Austria and Prague, and Morocco, but for 2009 I'm looking into Alaska and Canada on the GS-PD. Ship the bike to Vancouver fly out to meet her, then ride up Vancouver Island to Port Hardy, catch the ferry and sail up the west coast to Haines or Skagway, Anchorage, Fairbanks, Mount McKinley, Coldfoot, Prudhoe Bay, then back to Fairbanks, Dawson City, White Horse, Moose Meadow, Prince George along the Rockies to Jasper and Calgary, Toronto then Halifax.

The research and drooling over the maps is almost as much fun as the riding ;-)

May I ask waht it cost to ship the bike?
I am planning a trip in September for two people and bikes to ship to N.Y and ride East West and ship home from Long Beach.
Planning to take 3 weeks for the trip.
Any advice and help appreciated.

Many thanks

Tom

My route is as follows - NY, Washington DC, Blue Ridge Parkway, a Pan rally in Virginia, Nashville, Minnisota, Mount Rushmore, Little Big Horn (Custer's Last Stand), Yellowstone, Mount Evans (North Americas highest road), Monument Valley, Bryce Canyon, Las Vegas, Death Valley, Yosemite, San Francisco, LA, Tucson and Houston. I haven't work out a route back to NY yet.

Funnily enough, I am in a motel halfway between Monument Valley and the Grand Canyon right now :beerjug:

I started in Vegas, then went Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon, Capitol Reef Nat'l Park, Glen Canyon, Monument Valley. From here is Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam and back to Vegas.

Based on talking to bikers I've met along the way, it would be worth doing Monment Valley > Page or MV > Moab. You can take in Glen Canyon quite easily en route to Bryce.

You must ride Hwy 12 and Hwy 9 That's from Capitol Reef to Bryce and then onto Zion (which is on the way to Vegas on your route). Hwy 9 especially, one the of the best roads EVER :clap

gspd ?

Good to see you are thinking of getting seriously back on the road. I followed the sea to shinkg sea saga. Good read , Thanks. I am now planning my own North America trip, done NZ and OZ, on an F650. Would like to take the pan to north America but worried that it might be a bit to big and heavy. I've got an airhead GS but worried that its too old ( and not enough weather protection), will follow your story with interest to see how it goes.:beerjug:

Road Flagstaff to Sedona has to be one of the best I have ridden - absolutely beautiful.

I gather it's getting hot out there now!

Well after a quiet 2007, just a trip to the Isle of Man TT races, I'm thinking about a couple of biggish trips this year - to Austria and Prague, and Morocco, but for 2009 I'm looking into Alaska and Canada on the GS-PD. Ship the bike to Vancouver fly out to meet her, then ride up Vancouver Island to Port Hardy, catch the ferry and sail up the west coast to Haines or Skagway, Anchorage, Fairbanks, Mount McKinley, Coldfoot, Prudhoe Bay, then back to Fairbanks, Dawson City, White Horse, Moose Meadow, Prince George along the Rockies to Jasper and Calgary, Toronto then Halifax.

The research and drooling over the maps is almost as much fun as the riding ;-)

Paul

Really enjoyed following your US trip. I'm sure we met a couple of years ago at a 'Club' GPS day (or maybe I'm confusing you with someone else) Anyway, looking forward to this trip of yours too as I'm planning on doing something similar. Halifax, Nova Scotia to Vancouver and trying, if possible to fit in Alaska depending on the weather and time of year.
I would recommend a very informative book 'Alaska By Motorcycle' by Dr. Gregory W. Frazer. Lots of information and routes. A jolly good read. I was given it for Xmas and I think it was bought from Horizons Unlimited website. If they don't have it the number is ISBN 0-935151-48-6. I have a few good (as yet unused) maps of the Maritimes if you would like to borrow them for planning.
I'd appreciate a chat about your trip logistics. I've decided on the shipping it to Canada as apposed to flying due to costs.
PM your details for a chat if you don't mind.

Good luck with the planning and make sure the trip gets posted on here.

Steve
(another dreamer working to realise his dream)

Steve

Yes that were me. It all went in one ear and out of the other. I had a Garmin StreetPilot III but after a dozen attempts, I never got the hang of it at all. Far too complicated, unfortunately. Prefer maps anyway.

If you want to contact me about Alaska, my email address is pn31146(at)hotmail.co.uk

I'm busy planning Austria and Morocco at the moment. What it is to be retired:rob.

Back
Top Bottom