search difficulties

The Foolish Fellow

Reaction score
has anyone had any difficulty searching for streets or places using garmin european mapsource.
It seems usless as i can never get it to take me to a street that i type in. I have tried paris dublin and birmingham only to have to manually find the place on the map + save it as a waypoint

Are you on about searching in Mapsource on the PC or on the GPS unit ? I find that often I can't find a street or address on the PC but I can find it on the GPS unit itself. Garmin explained this to me by saying " blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah upgrade blah blah blah compatibility blah blah blah development blah blah blah" - all of which really helped me a lot......so now I just try and zoom in to a small scale on the PC until I actually see the street then mark it as a waypoint. But the searching power is pretty poor - I agree.

Try entering
1) the street name without the trivial part (-street, -road, -square, saint-, ...)
2) postal code instead of city name
Works for me...

What search facility

What Search facility is this then? The only facility I can see in my PC version of Mapsource (v 4.13) United Kingdom Road and Recreation is the Find which is in the View menu. This only allows town or village names to be entered and not roads or streets.

Have you guys got a different version of Mapsource or have I missed a trick here?

Search

The search facility is on the menu bar of mapsource under 'View' then 'Find'. Was on 4.xx and is still there on v5.

Can do the same on the set itself.

pete

Re: Search

robbo said:
The search facility is on the menu bar of mapsource under 'View' then 'Find'. Was on 4.xx and is still there on v5.

Can do the same on the set itself.

pete

Pete, I know that but MiGsel and Judge are saying you can search by street name and post code and for the life of me I cannot see this this facility. I am trying to establish whether we are talking about the same version of Mapsource or something different or maybe it's me being a total numpty.

This window in MapSource 4.13:

Attachments

• find.jpg
    find.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 130
by clicking the icon on the right...

But I'm not using R&R maps, maybe that makes the difference?

Attachments

• ms413.jpg
    ms413.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 130
It must be down to the CD Map then because when I click on the Binocular icon I a Window which only has a selection of cities, towns and village names.

So what CDs do I need then to have the street search facility?

Lord Snooty

If you have a GPS V then you should have got a CD called MapSource City Select with it. The current version is 5. You will have had to register your GPS set with Garmin & then will have been given an unlock number.

Assuming you have this then my previous post applies.

I haven't used any other Garmin sets but assume the procedure is similiar.

pete

Re: Lord Snooty

robbo said:
If you have a GPS V then you should have got a CD called MapSource City Select with it. The current version is 5. You will have had to register your GPS set with Garmin & then will have been given an unlock number.

Assuming you have this then my previous post applies.

I haven't used any other Garmin sets but assume the procedure is similiar.

pete

Pete, Mine is the Garmin III+ so I guess the extended search facility is not available unless I upgrade to a V.

ta.

Back
Top Bottom