Its time for...

Jockser

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
...the MS Run again :D

Next Saturday (13th) the BMW Club are holding the Mizen to Malin Run in aid of the MS Society. As some of you may know my sister was diagnosed with MS over 8 years ago so its a cause thats dear to my heart. While she's had her ups & downs over the years, generally she's in reasonable health. But there's always the possibility that this may change.

And thats where the great work of the MS Society comes into play. In addition to funding research into the causes of MS & the search for a treatment they also run seminars & support groups for those newly diagnosed, their families and/or their carers plus lots of other help & support.

MS Ireland

Last year the run raised in excess of €20,000 & hopefully this year we can increase that. I'm well aware that there are increasing demands on your hard earned buck from all types of charities but if you have a couple of quid to spare maybe you'd think of the MS Society.

You can donate through their web site, send them money, send me money or best of all - come out & meet us somewhere on Saturday (the weathers going to be great) & throw a donation at anyone involved.

I'm doing it again this year & Marcus of this parish is coming too. I know a couple of people from here took part last year but I only found that out afterwards. So this year make yourselves known - I'll be the ugly bearded one on the yella 12 ;)

I thank you for your time & hope to see some of youse out there :beerjug:

MS Run here - scroll down a wee bit ;)

Now let normal service resume :thumb :D

MS run

Hi Jockser,

Just wondering how the MS run went yesterday.

Hope the funds increased this year appropriately :beerjug:

Alte Wolf said:
Just wondering how the MS run went yesterday.

Went great, despite the rain on Friday evening, Saturday morning & all day yesterday :(

Hopefully have a bit of a write up & some pics later - watch this space ;)

Dunno yet how much was raised as it usually takes a couple of weeks for it all to arrive in but I'll keep youse posted. I'm still accepting donations, by the way :D

And thank you to Wizard, Rosahane & PJ for their pledges / cash :thumb

Jockser said:
Went great, despite the rain on Friday evening, Saturday morning & all day yesterday :(

Hopefully have a bit of a write up & some pics later - watch this space ;)

Dunno yet how much was raised as it usually takes a couple of weeks for it all to arrive in but I'll keep youse posted. I'm still accepting donations, by the way :D

And thank you to Wizard, Rosahane & PJ for their pledges / cash :thumb

OK Jockser, look forward to the pics and write up. Used your link to MS Ireland for the donation.

Cheers :beerjug:

Alte Wolf said:
Used your link to MS Ireland for the donation.

Thanks m8, appreciate that.

Gonna try & do the write up later - work keeps interfering with my bikin' :( :(

Jockser said:
Thanks m8, appreciate that.

Gonna try & do the write up later - work keeps interfering with my bikin' :( :(

Works been interfering with my bikin for too long now, but hopefully thats gonna change soon. Look forward to your pics :thumb

Finally a bit of a report.. :D

I’d originally planned to ride down to Mizen on Friday afternoon but when Marcus said he’d like to come along but couldn’t get out of work ‘til about six I decided to hold off. And its just as well I did…. ;) ;)

I rang Paul in Duffy’s during the day about something else but mentioned that I still wanted to take a test ride on the GSA sometime before deciding whether to take up my option on one. He said their demo bike was currently free & I could have it for the whole weekend. So late Friday afternoon I charged over to Finglas, through the thunderstorm & torrential rain, grabbed the GSA & went to do battle with the rush hour traffic on the M50. Not the best way to start a test ride but in for a penny and all that.

I obviously got a better run at the traffic than Marcus because, although it was after five thirty when I left Finglas & he left the city after six, I was home for nearly two hours by the time he got to me :confused: . Once he’d topped up with caffeine we were off. As I’m only 5 miles from the M7 we opted to take that route rather than crosscountry & try to make up a bit of time. The motorway went well but then we were onto the N8 with towns, slow traffic, more rain & by now it was getting dark too. A quick stop in Mitchelstown for a nicotine infusion enabled me to phone Aidan & give him some abuse for being in bed at half ten on a Friday night :eek: Then on to the Ibis in Cork where we disembarked for the night. It was too late to eat but we managed a drink or two :beer: before turning in for a short sleep. :(

The bikes in Cork :

Attachments

• CIMG0091.jpg
    CIMG0091.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 89
Six AM on a damp Saturday morning is not the best time to admire the view from the Cork Ibis :( so we hightailed it down to the meeting point at the Clarion Hotel for some tea & toast. Then it was fuel the bikes & hit the road. The route is pretty well described in the link I posted above so I won’t bore you with a turn by turn account. With 2 Garda bikes & 2 marshals in attendance we were quickly guided through the red lights & roundabouts on the way out of Cork.

Cork again :

Attachments

• CIMG0092.jpg
    CIMG0092.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 88
Within an hour & a half we pulled up outside Peter Clohessey’s place in Limerick, a newish place done in a traditional style beside the Shannon. By now the drizzle had stopped & the sky was brightening a bit but we were all glad to get ourselves around the outside of a good old fry :thumb – just the thing to set us up for a few hours. In addition there were a few girls serving and cleaning up who were quite easy on the eye (sorry lads, no pics :dabone :D ).By the time we were leaving the roads were drying and the temperature had risen sufficiently to convince us it wasn’t winter really, it just looked that way :rolleyes:

Marcus standing guard in Limerick ;) :

Attachments

• 13052006094.jpg
    13052006094.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 86
Next stop was the petrol station beside Mother Hubbards in Kilcolgan and it took all my resolve not to turn left & spend the rest of the day thrashing the Adv around the Burren and over the Corkscrew :nono . PJ had come down from Galway on his 'real' GS to meet up with the group & ride with us for a bit in addition to personally delivering his donation :thumb . Most people were still replete from breakfast so water & snacks were the order of the day. I had a wander around the forecourt & carpark and counted 68 bikes :bounce1 – not a bad turn out. By now the :sunshine had broken through & everyones mood brightened :) . We could see there wasn’t a cloud in the sky to the north and the reports from Sligo & beyond were of sun, sun, sun. :bow :bounce1

PJ & myself in Kilcolgan :

Attachments

• CIMG0113.jpg
    CIMG0113.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 77
A quick run around the outskirts of Galway & we were on the N17 (but no Saw Doctors in sight :rolleyes: ) & heading for Sligo. Talking to Marcus at the halt he had said he was enjoying it so far but I knew the best was still to come – there’s nowhere nicer than the west & northwest at any time but in glorious sunshine its fabulous. And so it proved to be. While we still had to be alert to the bikes in front & behind us, plus the Garda & marshal bikes flying past us between junctions, the dry roads enabled us to take the odd glance left & right to take in the countryside, the animals & the locals going about their normal Saturday routine. Very often on a run like this, especially without Garda assistance, you’re frantically trying to maintain a decent average speed :moped: and so never get to enjoy any of the rich tapestry of life around you. Although we weren’t exactly bimbling along I seemed to be able to take in a lot more of my surroundings. And this is the reason I ride a bike (well one of them anyway). :D :D

Some of them pics are worse than Civil takes with his 9 year old "brick". :D :dabone :D

Where's the rest of the report ya Tosser. :nenau :)

Pish off you :dabone

I'm busy juggling - posting, resizing pics, answering phones & ordering lunch :D :D

And most of them are taken with a camera phone :spitfire :p

But I digress. (Note to self – stop the philosophy & get on with the report :) ).
We pulled into Mullen’s petrol station outside Sligo for tea & a lorry load of homemade sandwiches (well done Claire :thumb ). ‘Tis a busy spot anyway so 60+ bikes arriving in didn’t exactly help matters. I decided to refuel myself first & then the bike. By the time I filled up, paid & queued for the gents it was nearly time to go. I was trying, unsuccessfully, to find a level spot to park the bike so I could put on my helmet which Marcus had just handed me when I felt the bike start to lean to the right. A fully fuelled Adv is no lightweight & I couldn’t hold it. Down she went with a bang :eek: , attracting the attention of everyone within half a mile radius. Two others rushed over & we managed to get her right way up again :thumb . Thankfully there was no damage other than a slight graze on the handguard & crashbar :eek:

Mullens in Sligo :

Attachments

• 13052006095.jpg
    13052006095.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 60
The road from Sligo as far as Letterkenny is mainly good with wide sweeping bends & the pace increased accordingly. I always like the Barnesmore Gap but in the sunshine (a rare phenomenon around here) its even better :bounce1 . Then we were onto the Inishowen peninsula with narrower, twistier roads – ideal for the :GS Marcus & I had been near the back of the group since Sligo & now stopped to answer the call of nature- too much tea in Sligo- and to let the others get ahead a bit. For a while it was just the two of us sweeping around the bends & blasting down the straights – good craic after being nose to tail for so long. All too soon we were at Malin Head. We even arrived 5 minutes ahead of schedule :clap . After parking up we walked to the old telegraph station, had a smoke, took a few pics & then everyone started to drift away to their various accommodations.

telegraph station :

Attachments

• 13052006096.jpg
    13052006096.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 58

Back
Top Bottom