Cleaning GS vs cleaning RT

daver

Hi all,

being in the process of deciding to go for a company leased R1150GS (Adventure) or R1150RT, I wanted to ask a questions in regards to cleaning the GS/RT.

My observations:

The GS has less fairing/"tupperware" which makes the bike (especially the engine/transmission) very sustainable to dirt and road muck. But at the same time it can be cleaned rather swiftly since you don't need to remove any tupperware to clean it. Also cleaning spoke wheels isn't the most easiest job to do (I know because my F650GS has spokes :( ).

The RT is the opposite: a lot of tupperware which is easy to clean, but to clean teh engine you have to remove the fairing. Also I suppose you see dirt a lot quicker on the RT, so you have to clean it more often to keep that 'tidy' look. It doesn't feature spokes so the alloys are easy to clean.
I'm also worried about the fact that the fairing is very prone to be chipped (gravel and stones on the road) aka you see it very easy.

BTW if I go for teh GS it will be with a black transmission/engine so that should sort some "dirty look"-problems.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.:cool:

I'm asking this since I will be riding the bike for 4 years and I want it to retain it as clean as possible so the cleaning process is a big point for me when considering choosing between the GS(Adventure) and the RT.

Thanks for you response.

And keep up the good work. I already have gathered a great amount of info that I needed for my decision (and on the Advriders forum).

All the best
Daver:D

daver said:

BTW if I go for teh GS it will be with a black transmission/engine so that should sort some "dirty look"-problems.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.:cool:

Daver:D

Daver,
My bike has the black engine/transmission and IMHO is much more difficult to keep clean than the silver alternative. The black shows up the slightest bit of crud.
Cheers
Dave - retro

Daver,

I find it hard to believe that the ability to keep a bike clean is a major factor in deciding which bike to buy. Is this a personal requirement or do you use the bike for some form of cermonial duty for which it has to be immaculately presented?

Yes, the fairing can get chipped, but then so can any fairing. I'd agree with Retro about the black engine showing dirt - every one I've seen looks scruffy in all but dry weather.

You may wish to consider that the GS can get away with looking a bit grubbier than the RT. If riding a clean bike is such a major factor in your life - choose the RT - I've not come across a bike that takes longer to clean than the GS (and get out more...:D).

MikeO:)

RT GS

Daver,

I've got a GS & my old man has the 'Bavarian Wheelchair' RT - they're both silver, same age & kept in the same garage. Mines the cleaner bike! It takes him hours to clean up his RT, remove/replace the tuppaware. Go for the GS, it's more fun, especially if you've got to keep it for 4 years.
Hope this helps - unless you like cleaning bikes.

Daver,

What are you going to use the bike for ?

Company bike suggest high mileacge and I'd suggest that if significant miles are being covered in all weathers on business then the RT would be a better bet because of the weather protection.

If however it's just a scam to get someone else to pay for new bike and it will be used for "leisure" then the GS takes some beating.

Also if it's a company bike then stone chips etc (with their affect on resale value) wouldn't appear to be that important or are you really that obssessed with how a bike looks ?

It's down to you in the end but I wouldn't worry about cleaning the bike but I would worry about how I was going to use it.

Cheers

Dick

Clean 'bikes go faster.......

..........don't they?

As a longtime RT owner, who is fanatical about keepin' it clean......here's a few tips:

Instead of removing fairing panels to clean underneath.....stop the shyte from getting there in the first place with one of these:

http://www.dutchman.org.uk/715034.ST51HCO131201Detail05.jpg

Cold water pressure wash takes care of eveything else, with hot soapy water on the stubborn grime........and whenever I have reason to remove panels for other reasons, a quick clean underneath is all that's required.

Silver shows the chips least, and after 15 months/13000 miles Big Sylvia is still pristine........apart from those suicidal Scottish beasties:D

Attachments

• 25040301.jpg
    25040301.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 842
OK I have some explaining to do, I know the way a bike can be cleaned isn't a major point let alone an important one when considering which bike to buy, but it is an additional factor:D

For the record: I like to ride with a nice clean bike (who doesn't?), so the easier to clean it the better.

I've been looking at the GS and the RT for weeks, compairing good/bad points (reading up on all GS and RT forums I could find).
I don't intend to start another GS vs RT thread since that has been covered extensively already.

Just to give some more info: Currently I have a MINI One as company car and a F650GS privately owned, I'm going to swap the MINI for a bike (GS or RT) and sell off the F650GS and buy a small 2nd hand car for those weather conditions when riding a bike is impossible (really heavy snow fe) - but that won't be more then a few days a year.
So bottomline my bike will become my main transport during the whole year (sun, rain--remember Belgium isn't the most sunny country :mad: ).

I commute every day 40 KM's on good 2-lane roads.
I know the RT would be the best choice (mainly due to it's weather protection), but I like the Allroad-style and looks of the GS (WHAT! You think the GS looks good? - Yes, I do :D ) also the handling on the GS is better, also I do some driving in small townroads, and the RT is a bit top heavy.
For the record: the RT is the best sold bike in Belgium and coming in second is...yes you got it right...the GS :D

The mind says go for the RT, the heart go for the GS Adventure. Oh well I have some time to decide.
:cool:

Dave said

I commute every day 40 KM's on good 2-lane roads.
I know the RT would be the best choice (mainly due to it's weather protection), but I like the Allroad-style and looks of the GS (WHAT! You think the GS looks good? - Yes, I do ) also the handling on the GS is better, also I do some driving in small townroads, and the RT is a bit top heavy.
For the record: the RT is the best sold bike in Belgium and coming in second is...yes you got it right...the GS

The mind says go for the RT, the heart go for the GS Adventure. Oh well I have some time to decide.

Dave, go with your heart, Ok the RT has weather protection but you say you like the GS looks (weirdo), you also prefer the GS handling. The GS is not that hard to clean either. so I reckon the GS wins by 3-1.
So get some decent waterproofs and buy the GS.
you know it makes sense.

Hey Keith,

the waterproof clothing is no problem, I already have that (is a must, due to the excellent F650GS-weather-protection :doh). Besides, my clothing is another reason to get the GS. You can't ride:moped: a RT with a Tuareg (Hein Gericke) off-road/rallye jacket, can you? :D

so that is 4-1 for the GS :clap:clap:clap:clap - :firemth
If it will become a GS (and looks like it will) it will be an Adventure... so my clothing suits the bike even better :p :p

Dutchman,

you're RT has great specs and looks fabulous (even after a year), especially the painted case lids are great. If I would buy an RT it would be very similar to yours.
ne classy bike you have there.

en praat je ook nederlands?;)

Start lesson 1:
English:"and do you also speak dutch?"

Dutch: "en praat je ook nederlands?"

End lesson 1.
:spin

daver said:
Start lesson 1:
English:"and do you also speak dutch?"

Dutch: "en praat je ook nederlands?"

End lesson 1.
:spin

Er....I think I got that bit....give me something more difficult........!!

(Er. .....i denkt dat ik die beetje. ....give mij iets moeilijk kreeg. ....!! ):D

Dutchman said:

(Er. .....i denkt dat ik die beetje. ....give mij iets moeilijk kreeg. ....!! ):D
Almost.....the correct translation is: "ik denk dat ik dat begrijp....geef mij iets moeilijker"

"Do you want a dirty GS or a clean one?"
translate in dutch, have a go.....:teacher

"Wil je een vuile GS of een propere?"

Dutchman said:

Next lesson : klootzak = scrotum :D
lekker neuken = nice cake
geweldig moto = GS
saai moto = RT
wip = see-saw / blowjob :confused:
eikel = George W Bush

:D :D :D :D

Re: Zzzzzzzz

Sgt_ BILKO said:
:p

Im off to the Chippy, anyone else ?

Bilks. :cool:

Hang on Bilks, I'm coming too.. never seen anybody hijack his own thread before..
:illbe

BTW, you don't need to take the tupperware off everytime.. but go with your heart. :spl1f:

GS -v- RT

OK, so the RT makes more sense re the weather protection, but the GS is more fun.

As for cleaning, I can clean my GS quicker than I could ever clean my old RT.

For a start, everythings easy to get at, and a pressure washer or a hose works wonders!!

In 4 years of RT ownership I was never so sad as to remove the tupperware to clean underneath. Anyway, underneath doesn't get too mucky thanks to the excellent fairing.

Wire wheels are easy to clean, all you need is a thin sponge.

Go for a silver engine if you get a GS. It doesn't show the muck as much as black.

Stone chips? - 4 years and none to speak of. The only problem bit was the belly pan, but a bit of paint and some clear film cured that.

Do yourself a favor, forgo the weather protection of the RT and get a GS. You won't regret it

Re: Re: Zzzzzzzz

BawdyMonk said:
never seen anybody hijack his own thread before..
:illbe

Hey what can I say, just trying to teach some dutch to someone who asks for it. Aren't we Belgians helpfull?:D

BTW Gecko, nice dictionary you have there, luckily I think most of the terms weren't understood by the non-dutch speaking :p :p :p

Back
Top Bottom