2720 Vs 2820 POI numbers

Andy Davies

Reaction score
Despite trying to find the answer in amongst Mr Pan Euro's excellent reports, I am unable to resolve the differences in the maximum numbers of POIs each device can store.

Can anyone help?

Andy

Hi Andy:

What exactly do you mean when you say 'POI'? Do you mean POI's that are contained in the navigation database (the Navteq maps), Custom POI's that are used for speed camera warnings, or user waypoints (now called 'Favourites' in Garmin-speak)?

Michael

Michael

Thanks for replying. What I'm interested to know is storage ability of custom POIs between the two devices.

I currently have a 2610 but am interested in the technology that will warn you of impending speed cameras. Although currently none in the North West of Scotland, I am due a couple of trips to France and Itlay in the summer and I believe that the situation is somewhat different!

So, can the 2720 store as many custom POIs as the 2820?

Andy

Hi Andy:

I don't know the answer to that question. I am going to take a guess (I emphasize that this is a guess only) that the two GPSRs could probably store the same number of custom POIs, assuming that all other factors are equal - for example, the size of the memory installed in the GPSR, and the size of the cartography file stored in the GPSR.

My understanding is that Custom POIs are stored on the same physical memory as the cartography (and the music files, if you have a 2820), therefore, if you have installed additional cartography beyond what came pre-installed from the factory, or if you have installed MP3s, that will encroach on the space available for Custom POIs.

FYI, I have installed files containing about 12,500 Custom POIs on both a 2720 and a 2820, in each case the GPSR had the full set of City Navigator Europe version 8 maps installed. There appeared to be about half a gigabyte of memory still free on the 2820 for music files, so, I don't think we are going to encounter any problems with Custom POI file size limitations in the near future (next year or two). The Custom POI database I use covers all of Europe, although it doesn't have comprehensive coverage of the UK. I suppose that eventually, as the size of the cartographic database continues to grow and the size of the commercially available Custom POI databases continues to grow, we might hit the limit of physical memory capacity, but when that happens, we can then start thinking about workarounds - for example, deleting map segments from the GPSR that we never ever expect to use (how many folks really need the detailed street maps of Athens and Helsinki that are pre-installed on your GPSR?).

Michael

Michael

A comprehensive reply for which I thank you.

It's a difficult choice between the 2820 and the 2720. Perhaps when the price is announced here in the UK, the choice will be easier!

Keep up the good work!

Andy

Hi Andy:

Just a follow-up here - I asked the software engineer at Garmin who is responsible for the Custom POI function to review this thread, and he has confirmed that my 'guess' (above) was correct.

Michael

Back
Top Bottom