Stelvio/ Lake Garda

Growler

I'm off to Europe in September (Rosyth to Zeebrugee crossing). We have 5 days on the continent and would like to take in Stelvio and Lake Garda. Does anyone out there have any route suggestions including overnight stops if possible. Ideally campsites but cheap good quality B&B's would also be considered...

I'm considering making the first day mainly motorway to get some miles under the belt and get as far south as possible but other suggestions would be appreciated... :thumb

If in France try the Logis de France, or Ibis / Campanile. The Logis tend to be less"Travel Lodge" that the other two are, and tend to be in nice places at reasonable costs.

As for the route, depends on where you want to hit the alps.

If i were you Growler i would try and extend your five days a bit as your not far from the Dolomites which realy are a must do !

There are a few good camp sites in Riva Garda right on the lake side with loads of restaurants near by.

There is a cracking site at the foot of the Selvio, the first village you come to when riding down the poorly surfaced side.

Enjoy the trip but do try and see the Dolomites :thumb

5 days is not long enough for this trip IMO. Using the quickest route it's 800 miles from Zeebrugge to Garda. It's possible to do those sorts of miles in a day but not really enjoyable.

If you only have 5 days on the Continent then choose somewhere closer to the port. Eiffel Mountains, Alsace or Black Forest would be my choice. Somewhere no more than 300 miles from the coast so that you can have 5 full days to tour rather than slog motorway miles.

If you do decide to head for Lake Garda then there is a campsite in Torbole on the lakeside. Entrance is opposite the petrol station in the centre of the town.

Thanks for the advice. Really had the heart set on making Garda via Stelvio but may have to have a rethink. Will have to sit down with Autoroute soon and see what I can come up with... :thumb

Pity you can't find more time. Did this journey last year taking 10 days and had a brilliant time. With a few more days you could explore some of the best bits of Austria, Switzerland, Germany and Italy (sadly not enough to take in much of France). Also, I hope that you are not counting the day that you land as a 'day' since the ferry is now taking longer to get there (saving fuel) and you'll be lucky to get out of the port by 13:30. I've swapped to DFDS from Newcastle this September and can be on the road by 09:30. Even with more miles the time saving is significant.

Thanks for that. Wasn't counting the sailing days so it technically gives us another two half days but that's good to know that the ferry docks later these days as I was banking on being on the road by 1230. The Ferry's already booked so Superfast it is but will definately look at other crossings for the future.

Back
Top Bottom