Garmin Streetpilot software upgrade

AndyT

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi there - I have a streetpilot 3 running on Version 6 which I believe does not contain roads in the Chezc republic and is quite a few years out of date anyway.

What must I do and how much should I pay to update to version 7. Do I buy it direct from Garmin or are there better deals??? I wish I could get anmother memory card for it as well as I am sure my trip wont fit onto one memory card.

Many thanks inadvance

AndyT :beerjug:

Having the same problem myself on the Ireland mapping and the SP3 does my needs a treat just need to go to V7 if possible. Let me know if you have succes at garmin.

Go here

Click the order now button.

Write an e-mail to upgradeoffer include:

Maps you'd like: City Nav Eu v8
GPS you own: Streetpilot 3
And your full address.

You should get an automated e-mail back from them and the update DVD a few days later if all is well.

Andy:

Just a reminder - CN Europe 8 is only available on DVD. If you don't have a DVD player attached to your computer, you will need to make arrangements to borrow a portable one from a friend. You'll only need to use the DVD player once, to load everything, after that is done, all the maps will reside on the hard drive of your computer and you will not need to use the DVD player again.

Michael

Thanks guys

Many thanks - I don't have a DVD player on my PC so looks like I need Ver 7 or by a DVD player. The shame is I have one on my Laptop but that is strapped dow by my company so I can't load most programs onto it without permission from the IT God in the office.

Hopefully I will be all sorted by tyhe enmd of June when I head off.

Thanks again

Andy :thumb

I may be wrong but I don't think it's possible to upgrade to V7 (CD) any longer. Only option is V8 (DVD).

It's in any case not possible to order a V7 upgrade CD from Garmin. They are out of stock.

If you want Czech maps you need V8, very little info on the others.

Hi Bezzler:

I rode through the rural parts of the Czech Republic last summer (more or less along a line drawn from Zurich to Dresden), and found that the coverage of CZ on City Navigator 7 was 'not bad'. In other words, it was good enough to keep me from getting lost on my 2 day tourist trip - although I don't think I would have been too happy with it if I lived in Prague and had to use it every day for automatic route generation in urban areas.

When mapping for a new country is added to the cartography, usually the first thing that gets added will be all the primary and secondary roads and the street detail in big cities, and then later on street detail for small towns will get added. For our purposes (motorcycle touring), I think it's the primary and secondary highways that matter the most.

The only reason I mention this is that I would not want someone who already has CN 7 to think they have to go out and buy CN 8 just to tour CZ. Sure, CN 8 would be a heck of a lot better, no doubt about that, but then again, that $150 might be better spent on Pilsner in Prague. :D

Michael

Back
Top Bottom