Quest update/info required

team duvet

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all, re my Quest

Long story short, just returned from a trip to Le Mans for the Moto GP in France. Before the trip planned a route on my PC and downloaded to my Quest. Planned the route using City Select V6.

On arrival in France the Quest could not recognise certain roads????? Do I need an update? Unlock something on the CD I have????

Sorry to be so naive!!!!

Any help appreciated, :thumb

TD

Could be one of a few things.

Are you sure you loaded all the map segments required for your route in France?

Was it new autoroutes that it didn't recognise, or normal roads, if it was normal roads then it sounds like you didn't load the correct maps. There is a new Autoroute to Le Mans that has only just appeared on CN V8.

CN V8 can be bought for about £45

:)

Are the versions on your pc and Quest the same? i.e. is the pc on V6 and the Quest on V7 or V8?

Dave

Hi Guy's

"Thanks" for quick response......

Dellis, yes same CD re PC they came together

Whatton, ya did go on the new Autoroute to Le mans, but the quest struggled
on the N roads like to Seamur etc etc.

TD
:beerjug:

This may sound a bit obvious but are you sure the maps you selected did indeed down load and that you were not routing on the basemap - ie can you zoom in and see detailed mapping on the Quest?

I've been there!

Help again? please!

Hi all......Latest!!!!

Wonder if you can help? got a Garmin Quest. When I look at the country's loaded on the quest their is no Spain, Italy etc etc. Will this have an effect when planning routes?. The latest CD I have is City Select Europe V6. If I plan a route anywhere on V6 does the quest recognise any country even if its not on the quest re country’s?

Planned a route (on V6) to Le Mans 2 weeks ago as said and when asked to "show on map" the Quest said "cannot recognise all roads do you what to recalculate"

So do I need to update/can you update the quest?????? or just use Europe V6 or get the latest City Select V?

Sorry to be a pain!

Thanks for any help,

"Team Duvet"

It sounds as though you haven't got the necessary maps loaded on to the Quest.Can you see map segments outlined in grey on the Quest?Or just the base map?
Tony

Apologies for any egg sucking....

The Quest can only hold a certain chunk of the map set you see on the PC.

In MapSource you create a route using the entire map set, and can up load the WP's and Routes to the Quest.

If you don't also ensure that the chunks of maps on which you route runs is uploaded, then the Quest will want to re-calculate against the map set it does hold, which by default will be the base map.

The base map is basic, lacking the detail of the map set you see on the PC.

How do you know? You can view the detailed maps that have been up loaded to the Quest by looking at the "map info" on the Quest where maps beyond the base map are listed. Or by zooming out lots where eventually you will see an overview of a country where certain segments are highlighted. These segments are the chunks that are currently uploaded. And another way to know is to zoom right in. watch the wording at the map scale to detail map (which means the chunk covering the current pointers location is uplaoded) and eventually to overzoom..

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Eddy

Arrrr

Arrrrr......

Tony, :thumb yes I can see grey squares when I zoom out on the quest, (500m) but only covering the UK and little into france?

Eddie, :thumb map info is European City V6, when opened shows UK and only certian places in France (not many!)

Conclusion....do i need to order the latest CD from Garmin for the whole of europe??? and will this update the quest? if so latest version is?

Cheers to all,
TD

team duvet said:
Arrrrr......

Tony, :thumb yes I can see grey squares when I zoom out on the quest, (500m) but only covering the UK and little into france?

Eddie, :thumb map info is European City V6, when opened shows UK and only certian places in France (not many!)

Conclusion....do i need to order the latest CD from Garmin for the whole of europe??? and will this update the quest? if so latest version is?

Cheers to all,
TD

You don't need to update to v8 to get europe. You have that on v6 anyway, all you need to do is select the map areas you need and download them to the unit. The memory size is 243mb just incase you don't know.

Hi Moller,

Thanks for the info :clap ........how do I upload from Mapsource to the unit re your thread?

TD
:thumb

In this screen shot you can see I have chosen the Map select tool and highlighted the London area.

What you can't see is that on the tabs to teh left of the screen is that those areas of maps selected are listed. When I chose to upload detail to my GPS I will have the choice to include maps, these selected areas will be passed to the unit.

Each time you upload a selcetion of areas, the previous areas on teh unit are overwritten (I think)

And now with the image! :confused:

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 169
This one shows the selceted maps, their size and description.

As stated further up the thread the Quest has a limit memory size for map sections so common practice is to plan your route/s then highlight it/them in the list on the Routes tab. Ensure they are highlighted and then right click on them and chose Select Maps around route.

This highlights all the map sections you need to use detail whilt routing. It's worth noting that the Quest won't accept more than it's capacity though...

Attachments

• Clipboard03.jpg
    Clipboard03.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 168
Eddy802 said:
Each time you upload a selcetion of areas, the previous areas on teh unit are overwritten (I think)

They certainly are.

The best tip for using a Quest is to ensure that when loading maps/routes etc... onto your Quest to make sure you load ALL the info that you need.

It's only funny when it happens to someone else :)

"Thanks"

"Thanks" for all the info on this thread.

:bow Top guys :clap

TD

Hi all….one last question honest!!!!

So, if I do just one route through France and highlight the map segments so my Quest has the correct data/roads from map source, will this delete ALL my maps in my Quest re City Select V6 on the Quest? or just down load to route planner???

Cheers again!
TD

Quest has "base map" information for all of Europe (or most). This detail is augmented with the extra chunks you upload.

Regardless of how often or how much of those chunks you chnage the base map detail remains intact in the unit.

So despite having only chosen the maps sections around my planned route, the base map level detail on the unit will be available for Peterborough in this example...

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 54
team duvet said:
So, if I do just one route through France and highlight the map segments so my Quest has the correct data/roads from map source, will this delete ALL my maps in my Quest re City Select V6 on the Quest? or just down load to route planner???
It will delete all previously downloaded maps. The basemap will still be available, although of limited use.

I can't stop myself adding that the answers to your questions almost certainly lie buried in the manual. A little reading and experimentation, plus searching through the threads on this forum, will help you through the early days.

But don't let that put you off. :thumb

chasr said:
A little reading and experimentation..... will help you through the early days.

But don't let that put you off. :thumb

I was going to start charging ;)

Back
Top Bottom