Duff Battery

RickA

Reaction score
Anyone had trouble with their HP2 battery??

Out for a ride yesterday on my 2-month old HP2, filled up after about 50 miles and bike wouldn't start - battery completely flat.

Waited 2 hours for recovery to jump-start the bike, checked that charging voltage ok, then rode home.

Parked up, opened garage, back to bike and guess what - flat battery!

The battery must be completely knackered as it can't even attempt to turn the motor, even after a long run and a night on the 'optimate' charger. Not good for a brand new one.

Oh well, back to the dealer, if I can get there.....

Cheers, Rick.

Quite a few people had battery problems on their R1200GSs, it's quite likely the same battery in the HP2?

If you're feeling flush, you could replace it with a Hawker.

Mouse said:
Quite a few people had battery problems on their R1200GSs, it's quite likely the same battery in the HP2?

If you're feeling flush, you could replace it with a Hawker.

Or ask the dealer to replace it with a Hawker under warranty. ;)

Dead battery week 2

I purchased my HP2 in Germany and rode back to the UK.
There was trouble starting the bike in the dealers showroom, it had to be jump started. His excuse was that they hadnt had time to do a full charge.

Anyway back in the UK, in for the first service and the BMW dealers (Battersea) told me battery was knackered. They replaced it with a new one and Ive had no trouble since.
The Battersea boys informed me that the battery should have been fully charged before using.

The battery on the 1200 is not the same as on the HP2. The HP2 is smaller.

Had probs as well. Lethargic turning over and letting me down completely at least twice. CW bunged a new battery on and it seems better but not convinced totally yet. I've got into the habit of switching the headlight off for offroading to keep the electrical load down. The alternator looks alot smaller than a standard one as well. Battery is not an easy change in a HP!

Took the bike into my dealer this afternoon for them to sort - hopefully with a new battery. Steering head bearing also needs replacing as this 'clunks' even when torque was set right.

Pikey - how do you switch off the headlight - my bike has no switch!

Ah well, at least they have leant me a spanking new K1200R to have a thrash around on whilst the bike is in the shop. A real badass bike!!

Cheers, Rick.

RickA said:
Pikey - how do you switch off the headlight - my bike has no switch

Ignition on. Engine running or not. Hold ind. cancel button for about 10secs then RH ind. for 10secs. Seems to work on any CAN-BUS BMW.

Knocked my steering head bearings out of adjustment in 100 miles! but that was nearly all off road.

pikeydave said:
Ignition on. Engine running or not. Hold ind. cancel button for about 10secs then RH ind. for 10secs. Seems to work on any CAN-BUS BMW.

I tried this on my Canadian HP2 with no results. As I do run slow (heaven forbid) at times this would be a great thing to do! Any ideas on doing this with the NA bike?

electric demons?

I tried the light off method again with the bike running and it worked fine. On the third try it would not work again.. :confused: Tried turning off the bike to recycle the system and try again... no go :nenau

Hmmm... I'll go do mine again to see what happens. But I must of done it dozens of times. Am at a BMW dealership later and will ask a CAN-BUS boffin.

kdt said:
I tried the light off method again with the bike running and it worked fine. On the third try it would not work again.. :confused: Tried turning off the bike to recycle the system and try again... no go :nenau

KDT,

Did you figure this out yet?? On my Canadian HP2 this trick does not work.

Barry
Vancouver, BC

Both the CAN-BUS BMWs I've got do it every time. Just a wild guess but maybe your software is programmed differently due to local laws. i.e. illegal to ride without headlights? :nenau (UK its not compulsory)

Battery Problem

Just an update on the flat battery problem....

Battery is fine and in top order, problem is with the bike's software - the 'black box' was not alowing the alt. to charge the battery apparently - all part of the Can-Bus system. One of the BM's little 'features'!

** Would advise you all to check with your dealer to make sure you have the latest software fix installed!!! **

Having to wait a week for a new steering head bearing.

Cheers, Rick.

pikeydave said:
Both the CAN-BUS BMWs I've got do it every time. Just a wild guess but maybe your software is programmed differently due to local laws. i.e. illegal to ride without headlights? :nenau (UK its not compulsory)

Ok, I figured it out. It only works on mine if the engine is running. If done this way it is repeatable 100% of the time. Lights will then stay off 'till the engine is restarted.

Thanks for the tip, it will come in hany for stealth mode night time motarding :cool:

Barry

stealth mode

Hi Barry!

How is the bike going? Are you still running the Super Moto Wheels? I'm up to 2500km and loving every second... No luck with the stealth mode on my bike as it is not consistant. I'll try it again tomorrow and let you know if I was under an alien spell. I've got two new rear and one more front Karoo tires for the bike. Hope these will last me the Summer :rolleyes: Got my Touratech handle bar risers and a couple of shiney bits. Probably put them on the bike this weekend. No crash bar yet but it will not stop me from high speed cruzing the mountain roads near Chilliwack. I'm out for a ride tomorrow morning. :bounce1

KDT,

Yep, I'm still runninning the SM wheel kit. What a blast. Gonna lose my license if I don't calm down.

Friday is my last day of work for a month. Heading to the Okanagan valley on the 15th for two weeks of back road/dirt road fun.

Where did you get your Karoos? I went to the Western Powersports annual tire sale last Saturday. I too ordered two rears and a front. They didn't have stock but I should get 'em in a week. 40% off all tires during the sale so I couldn't say no!

How do you like it with the bar risers? Still thinking of that myself. I haven't got my engine bars yet either. Still awaiting that Touratech order. Was hoping to have the stuff before I leave but I think that won't happen. I did bolt a small Pelican case on the rear rack so I now have a mini top case. Waterproof and lockable. It is quite narrow so should not get hit if (when) I drop the bike. If it does get whacked the box will certainly survive the ordeal. I also picked up a set of soft bags so I can get all my crap out to my Summerland base camp. Only $150 on sale at Carter Motorsports and as a bonus they are HP2 blue!

I have a question I have been waiting to ask you for some time. I am on the edge of buying a pair of those GS2 boots you wear. The only thing is sizing. What size did you get? What size do you wear in a street shoe? Did you find them to be a little small? A little large? or were they pretty much right on the mark?
Since nobody actually has a pair for me to try I would like some idea of sizing before I order. I wear a 10.5 - 11 street shoe so I could need a 45 or a 46. I tried several different BMW boots in the shop but like all BMW gear each model fit different. In some I fit a 45 and yet in others I take a 47! Go figure?

Any sizing info you can provide me would be much appreciated.

Are they comfortable? Did the leather inner boot stretch out at all? Shrink down in the rain. Are they really waterproof?

Yep, I'm just full of questions but hey, $550 plus tax is a lot of cash and you are the *only* person in these parts who actually owns a pair.

Barry

Back
Top Bottom