2820 Garmin, when is it comming ?

GSpot 1200

does anybody know what date the Garmin 2820 will be ready for sale in Europe.
Going on a big trip in juli, and would like to carry the 2820.
regards
jan

Jan:

To the best of my knowledge, all the hardware and software engineering work for the 2820 / Nav III has been completed, and the product has long since gone into production. When the GPSRs are being manufactured, there is no big difference between making Americas (North American) or Atlantic (European) GPSRs - the only difference is the firmware load installed at the factory.

So - my guess is that you can expect the 2820s to be arriving 'anytime soon'. Check with your retailer - if they are a Garmin authorized retailer and they buy their products directly from Garmin, they should have a pretty good idea of when the new stuff should arrive.

Michael

Jan

I e-mailed Garmin UK regarding this a wee while ago and got this reply on the 16th May 2006:

Thank you for contacting Garmin Europe.
We are hoping that we're going to get stock of them within the next month or so. You would then need to contact your local dealer to when there going to get them.

cheers
Aaron

Mick_rw said:
found a web site offering 2820 £749.99 inc VAT, Non in stock though
A very good price indeed! Incidentally the same site is advertising the 2720 for £931 incl. VAT

Soon

Spoke to a guy at www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk and he said they will be recieving stock shortly and will have it posted on their site to take orders as of next week. The RRP is £749 but they think that will come down shortly. They sell the 2720 for £510+VAT.

Mick_rw said:
found a web site offering 2820 £749.99 inc VAT, Non in stock though

still out of stock i have e mailed them 3 times with NO reply dont seem like a top company to me

Just....

recieved an email From these people, telling me 2820 now in stock....but wait, a bit on the dear side compared to a couple of other prices I have seen being advertised... :D

2820 Question

now I see that the 2820 is available for purchase, a quick (no doubt stuoid) question - what else do you need to buy for it to work on a BMW 1150 GS ?

Bike Mount - but which one ?
Power lead ?

Anything else - like external antenna ?

cheers

Apologies if this is already covered elsewhere.

If you had the any of the 26xx, 27xx streetpilots in the past, it should just mount and plug in to whatever you had...

I just bought the 2820, and the Garmin mount plate and power lead that I was sold with it, both have 2610 on the box...
With it I was sold a RAM mounting system that it bolts onto with a clamp for my bars on the bottom.

No need for an antenna on a motorcycle, the built in one works fine.

If you have an intercom, then you'll have the sterio lead that you need... you may need a "ground loop Isolator" (if you have an Autocom certainely.. Autocom will sell you one) If no intercom, then you'll need to buy speakers/earphones for inside your helmet...

I'm trying to get mine to talk to a Siemens S55 bluetooth phone with no luck right now... not a huge body of experience to research yet either...

Other places to spend money are possible bluetooth helmet, a few pounds for a decent speed camera database, lockable mount so that you don't need to remove it every stop....

Al...

araspitfire said:
No need for an antenna on a motorcycle, the built in one works fine...

In general, that statement is correct. But, if you have an unusual installation, for example the GPSR is tilted way off vertical (more than 15°), or if the top middle of the GPSR is obscured by other equipment, then you might need to look at getting an external antenna. Just keep in mind that the built-in antenna is a postage-stamp size device that is in the middle of the GPSR (left to right), somewhat towards the forward (screen) side of it. If that area does not have a clear view of the sky, then you may need an external antenna.

However - if that area does have a clear view of the sky, you will not gain any additional benefit from adding an external antenna.

Michael

Back
Top Bottom