Quest and World map

Schwarz Baron

Reaction score
Right, done a search and can't find an answer, so here goes. Heading to Ontario next month, and want to take the Quest with me. Would like to have a few maps loaded, for the area, obviously seriously restricted, because of the Quests memory. However I am unlikely to do more mileage than the Quests memory provides anyway.
So what do I need to get to load onto the Quests, base World map. I'm really just looking Main roads around Toronto and Lake Errie. Cheers in advance....All advice from Mapsource to Quest appreciated.. :thumb

Have you had a look at Garmins site to see if World Map has more detail than your Quests' internal "World Base Map"?

If the seperately supplied software has, buy it and load the segments that you want. PS this would work for the SP3 / 2610, may not for your Quest :(

All you'll get from the World Map is the main roads etc.. It's very light on detail, so you'll have no problem fitting it all onto the Quest.. The World Map doesn't take up a lot of space, but has a lot of map segments, which is the limiting factor if you want to put it all on the Quest. But you'll have no bother getting The US and Canada onto the Quest (around 350 maps, and less than 50 megs)..

If you wanted any more detail than that, you'd have to look at buying a Canada product, like MetroGuide Canada (around $112)..

Cheers chaps, I think it would be more a case of getting the maps for Ontario, the world map for the states only shows, towns and state borders on my Quest, no roads, whatsoever... :(

That'd be the base map (which comes pre-loaded (and remains permanently)) on your Quest. The World Map on the other hand, has more detail, but is still not very substantial.

Like this:
map_5_0_0_4AD9FF7C923C8B9D_10_240_90_480_360_0_2_1.png

World Map 3.01

My copy of World Map 3.01 shows good detail of Ontario, all major roads minor roads, railways and lakes with tracks to them.

Jimb said:
My copy of World Map 3.01 shows good detail of Ontario, all major roads minor roads, railways and lakes with tracks to them.

Cheers Jimb, waiting on an e-mail back from Garmin.. Thanks for the assistance guys.. :thumb

WorldMap contains pretty much the same data as the 'version 1' routable basemaps that are installed on all the autorouting GPSRs. The key difference, of course, is that the routable basemaps can be used to generate a route (a crude route, but a route nonetheless), whereas WorldMap cannot be used to generate a route.

If you have an Atlantic (European) version of a Quest GPSR, it probably won't have any basemap coverage of North America - I say 'probably' because I am not familiar with this particular GPSR. So, you could load the WorldMap segments for Ontario, and that would help a bit by showing you where you are in relation to the larger cities and major expressways. But - it would be virtually useless for navigation, because WorldMap doesn't support automatic route creation, and WorldMap is old (mid 1990's vintage), and many new expressways have been added to the Greater Toronto area since then. This I know because I live in Toronto.

Your best bet would be to purchase the 'MetroGuide Canada version 4' cartographic product, and install this on your Quest. The map segment sizes are quite small, you won't have any problem installing all of the Greater Toronto Area (and then some) on a GPSR with 21 megs of cartographic storage capacity. MetroGuide Canada V4 is quite up to date, and supports autorouting. In fact, I use it (rather than CN North America 7) when I am at home in Canada.

Michael

PanEuropean said:
Your best bet would be to purchase the 'MetroGuide Canada version 4' cartographic product, and install this on your Quest. The map segment sizes are quite small, you won't have any problem installing all of the Greater Toronto Area (and then some) on a GPSR with 21 megs of cartographic storage capacity. MetroGuide Canada V4 is quite up to date, and supports autorouting. In fact, I use it (rather than CN North America 7) when I am at home in Canada.

Michael

Michael, does the America MetroGuide V7 also support autorouting on the GPS, eg a 2610?

PanEuropean said:
WorldMap contains pretty much the same data as the 'version 1' routable basemaps that are installed on all the autorouting GPSRs. The key difference, of course, is that the routable basemaps can be used to generate a route (a crude route, but a route nonetheless), whereas WorldMap cannot be used to generate a route.

If you have an Atlantic (European) version of a Quest GPSR, it probably won't have any basemap coverage of North America - I say 'probably' because I am not familiar with this particular GPSR. So, you could load the WorldMap segments for Ontario, and that would help a bit by showing you where you are in relation to the larger cities and major expressways. But - it would be virtually useless for navigation, because WorldMap doesn't support automatic route creation, and WorldMap is old (mid 1990's vintage), and many new expressways have been added to the Greater Toronto area since then. This I know because I live in Toronto.

Michael

Michael thank-you,

Cheers for the advice. The world map is on the Quest, Africa, and parts of Asia and the Middle East, do have some routes on them, but the Americas only have the cities, as does Australasia. I have e-mailed garmin asking for there opinion and which product would best suite. All advice as been well received and noted, thank-you all.

John Armstrong said:
Michael, does the America MetroGuide V7 also support autorouting on the GPS, eg a 2610?

You can autoroute with MG europe by sending the maps to the gpsr with a utillity called img2gps which unlike Mapsource does not strip out the autorouting data so it should work for America MG.

Dave

navig8r said:
You can autoroute with MG europe by sending the maps to the gpsr with a utillity called img2gps which unlike Mapsource does not strip out the autorouting data so it should work for America MG.

Dave

Showing my ignorance, what's img2gps?

John Armstrong said:

Hi John:

I don't think that the 'USA MetroGuide' (or whatever it is called) supports autorouting on the GPSRs. I think it only supports autorouting on the computer, when it is used with MapSource. I can't check this myself because I am in South Sudan now and have the worst internet connection in the world - this prevents me from going to the Garmin website and looking.

But, you can check - just go to the Garmin website, under the products menu, choose 'Maps and Charts', then choose 'On the Road', and go browsing.

MetroGuide Canada supports route generation on the GPSR, that much I know for sure. I believe that MetroGuide Canada is the only MetroGuide product that supports autorouting on the GPSR. Perhaps someone could check the Garmin website and confirm this for us.

Michael

John Armstrong said:
Showing my ignorance, what's img2gps?

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mdipol/img2gps/

MG does contain routing data but when you use Mapsource to send the maps to your gps the data is removed but by using img2gps you can select map segments including overlay maps of contours (from Smc) and speed cameras databases ..then save the file as a garmin .dbd ..then when you open img2gps you can select this saved file and send it to you gps and the routing data is preserved. I have MG V7 Europe autorouting on my gpsmap 60c .. the "address find" functions are not all there but this can be over come with a little effort.

Dave

PanEuropean said:
Hi John:

MetroGuide Canada supports route generation on the GPSR, that much I know for sure. I believe that MetroGuide Canada is the only MetroGuide product that supports autorouting on the GPSR. Perhaps someone could check the Garmin website and confirm this for us.

Michael

Had a look at the Garmin site and it's autorouting on the PC :( no mention of on the GPS. Looks like the Canadians are lucky to have the functions that Metroguide Canada has.

John Armstrong said:
I guess some people like a challenge and have plenty of spare time on their hands. Looks "interesting" ;)

The insructions on the site make it seem a bit long winded but using a .gdb file save from Mapsource instead is dead easy and takes a couple of minutes at most....The longest part is the download to gps which you you would have to wait for anyway! I use this method with MGv7 as the map tiles in CN v8 which I also use on my Quest are to large to cover a decent area in a gps with limited memory so its a great low cost alternative for visiting new places.

Dave

Is there a simple way to work out the alphabetical map names compared to the img numerical names. That way you'll only need to mess with the files that you want to use. Or is it not that easy :confused:

John Armstrong said:
Is there a simple way to work out the alphabetical map names compared to the img numerical names. That way you'll only need to mess with the files that you want to use. Or is it not that easy :confused:

If you open mapsource MG (whatever version you have)..then with the map tool select the areas you need..then save as a .gdb file...then open Img2Gps and select "Load" ...then select the file you have just saved....all the .img files along with their map names will be listed....you can select or deselect the files according to how much memory your gps has as the software tells you how much memory each map is taking up as there will be more than is being shown in Mapsource as it will include the routing data ..then select upload to Gps ..Thats it!!

Dave

I shall have a go :eek: :bow :bow

And work it did :bow :bow when I stopped trying to "load folder" and went to the little "load" instead.

Even tried simulating adding a via and it works, along with a "find" nad "route to it".

Cheers, I think I owe you a :beer: or two :bow :bow

Back
Top Bottom