I have GPS :-)

Commuter

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Thanks to you all for the advice. I have come by a Streetpilot for £200ish including RAM mount, car mount, disk and connectors, 8mb card.

Now a few quick questions.

1. I do not have a serial socket on my computer, will any serial/usb convertor work or just the one from GPS warehouse?

2. Where is the cheapest place for maps/accesories?

3. Was it confusing to all of you as it is to me, not having the unit hooked up (due to the lack of adaptor is not helping)

4. I have UK R+R, France R+R, should I just get a new disk for the rest of europe.

5. How do I check which update and verison of the update I have on the Streetpilot.

Thanks for you help in advance

Commuter said:
Thanks to you all for the advice. I have come by a Streetpilot for £200ish including RAM mount, car mount, disk and connectors, 8mb card.

Now a few quick questions.

1. I do not have a serial socket on my computer, will any serial/usb convertor work or just the one from GPS warehouse?

2. Where is the cheapest place for maps/accesories?

3. Was it confusing to all of you as it is to me, not having the unit hooked up (due to the lack of adaptor is not helping)

4. I have UK R+R, France R+R, should I just get a new disk for the rest of europe.

5. How do I check which update and verison of the update I have on the Streetpilot.

Thanks for you help in advance

1/ I use a "Belkin" adapter. (PCWorld)
2/ Any internet site. They all seem to compete.
3/ You do need to fiddle with it (OOOeeeerrrr) to get aquainted.
4/ Send me a PM. I can sort you out with a European CD.
5/ Log on to the Garmin website. Software updates are free. Just download the latest from there then you'll know.

Thanks Howard

I have the Belkin adaptor BUT I run XP and I seem to be having some grief with it. It installed on the 2000 verious CD.

It is showing all installed (Red light on) then when I go to upload and download key I get the Serial point not communicating type message.

I read somewhere on here there maybe a problem. So I did the following.

1.Uninstalled and re installed, no change.
2.Booted up both separately and together on seperate boot ups. no change.
3. 2 green lights flash when I go to properties autodetect, still no comms between SP and Laptop.

I have rebooted etc, all the normal stuff. Do I need to force it to look at the USB port. Comm 1 through 8 and all not detecting the GPS.

Any pointers anybody.

Many thanks,Nick

Nick
Your unit has the latest Garmin update already installed

Thanks Adrian.

Anybody help with getting the system to talk to the computer.

Please?

Back
Top Bottom