Quest and City Nav 8

BillWright

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Could anyone explain how to upgrade the mapping on the Quest to V8 please. Its still showing V6, although the latest mapping is in Mapsource.

BillWright said:
Could anyone explain how to upgrade the mapping on the Quest to V8 please. Its still showing V6, although the latest mapping is in Mapsource.

Do you have the CN v8 upgrade dvd if not Contact Garmin and ask if you are entitled to a free upgrade .If you have bought recently you should be ,otherwise you will have to pay around £45.It is better to ring them between 08.30 and 09.00 to get the fastest response.

01794 519944

Dave

Hi, I've got the upgrade DVD to V8, which is on the PC and unlocked. I can't update the Quest itself.

BillWright said:
Hi, I've got the upgrade DVD to V8, which is on the PC and unlocked. I can't update the Quest itself.

Do you mean you can't get the maps onto the Quest??
Dave

Yes, thats right, and after it locked up trying, the PC can't read the Quest now.

Quest 1 or 2 and have you installed the latest version of mapsource from the Garmin site v6.10.2 ??

Dave

Quest 1 with the latest software, according to the web updater. Kikewise with the Mapsource software.

Make sure you've got the latest version of the USB drivers.....if you already have, suggest uninstall & reinstall of the drivers......

Cheers

Dutch

BillWright said:
Quest 1 with the latest software, according to the web updater. Kikewise with the Mapsource software.

I never use the web updater on my Garmin units as you don't have enough control .I have all the softaware versions save so that I can revert to an earlier one if I notice any probs. when you try to upload the map segments have you selected CN v8 maps from the top left drop down box in mapsource and checked the unlock code matches your units serial number, also check if mapsource is talking to your Quest ..Utilities/get unit id...Then check the unlock codes are registered to the serial number ...Utilities/ unlock maps/next/view my unlock codes..sorry if this seems basic but we do not know how experienced you are!

Dave

edit: Garmin Faq's http://www.garmin.com/support/faqs/search.jsp

Silly question but, you have selected V8 on your PC when you use mapsource? because if you dont select V8 you will still be running V6 so uploading to the GPS will be V6.

Also, try a different usb port, I have had problems before now, and my quest seems to prefer the usb port that was used the very first time I plugged my quest in.

Keith Chapman said:
Silly question but, you have selected V8 on your PC when you use mapsource? because if you dont select V8 you will still be running V6 so uploading to the GPS will be V6.
Spot on. If you have V8 on your PC, and it's unlocked to the GPS, you must make sure you select V8 from one of the drop-down menus in Mapsource. If not, as Keith says, you will continue to use/plan/load/etc V6.

Many thanks for your help. I'll start from scratch and re-install everything fresh and have another go.

Back
Top Bottom