Quest 2 3D View

Yeah, what he said!

(If it's any consolation, I used a friends TomTom recently and although the 3D view should be great, I found it confusing in use. Maybe I've just become accustomed to the Quest 2.)

Robin said:
...although the 3D view should be great, I found it confusing in use.

This whole 3D view business is kind of interesting. Based on my own observations as a result of loaning GPSRs to friends, it seems that guys prefer the 2D view, whereas women seem to prefer the 3D view. Perhaps that might be because guys are more familiar with the paradigm of 2D paper maps.

Michael

I have 3D maps on my PPC running TTN3 and to be honest can't see what all the fuss is about ,I havn't used the feature for nearly two years and the lack of them certainly would not stop me buying a system.

Dave

My own opinion is that 3D can be very useful in dense urban environments, but other than that, it's confusing, in the sense that it takes more of my time to interpret the information on the 3D display than it does for me to interpret information on a conventional 2D north-up display.

However - I think that is very heavily influenced by what I am used to, which is looking at paper maps in 2D north up orientation.

Michael

3D tends to be used by people without a navigation background who 'trust' the GPS and want to know whether to turn left or right.

My background is marine navigation and I want to know where I am relative to known streets/landmarks (what pilots call situational awareness) so I prefer to use 2D north up.

Using this method I have never got more than 1/4 of the way thru a trip before realising that there is something wrong with my selection of the destination.
I have friends who have driven for over an hour and got into the street before realising that they had selected the right address but in the wrong city.

I prefer the "roadbook" screen option on the Quest - the map's too small to look at when I'm riding!

I too don't miss not having 3D. One question though is it literal, ie if there's a hill between the GPS and the road I want to go down, and is therefore not in line of sight, will the GPSR show the road?

John Armstrong said:
...if there's a hill between the GPS and the road I want to go down, and is therefore not in line of sight, will the GPSR show the road?

Yes, it will show the road. The GPSR assumes that the earth is flat when it draws the 3D picture.

Michael

Well, John, think about it for a moment: Would you prefer that the GPSR NOT show what is behind the hill? :rolleyes: I mean, for Pete's sake, you can look over the handlebars and see that there is a hill in front of you, obscuring your view of the roadway beyond. Do you really need the GPSR to confirm that the hill is present, or would it be more useful to have the GPSR show you what path the road takes beyond the hill in the (present) format of a 'bird's eye view'?

Michael

A friend was in Tokyo recently.

The Japanese market has a large number of GPS suppliers who do not sell anywhere else and the latest mapping option is 3D mapping where you see the style and shape of the buildings poping up along with any actual advertising signs, almost real.

Must have been a huge effort to collect the building visuals as well as all the normal auto-routing data.

PanEuropean said:
Well, John, think about it for a moment: Would you prefer that the GPSR NOT show what is behind the hill? :rolleyes:

Michael

I was trying to be sarcastic :rolleyes: about what seems to me to be a triumph of design over function :thumb

BTW I quite like 2D :eek:

John Armstrong said:
I was trying to be sarcastic :rolleyes: about what seems to me to be a triumph of design over function :thumb

BTW I quite like 2D :eek:
Good,
because there are no 3D navigators available on the market as far as I know. All of them have 2D maps only. Many of them, including my stoneage 276C, can show the roads in a perspective view.

Perspective view is still 2D. It's just an easy way for the marketing nerds to make simple minded people think they have 3D... :eek:

This reminds me of a transparent folie one could buy 1960. It was green at the bottom, yellow in the middle, and blue at the top. Put it in front of your B/W TV-set and suddenly you had color TV! :eek:

HMR said:
Perspective view is still 2D.

That's a very sharp observation. Perhaps we should keep the description 'perspective view' in mind when we think of the '3D' display mode of the GPSRs. As HMR said, it really is a two dimensional view, presented from the perspective of a bird that is more or less overhead the vehicle and looking in the same direction.

Some of the newer Garmin aviation handhelds (e.g. 296, 396) provide terrain shading. The terrain shading is actually a side benefit that arises from the GPSR having a terrain map (elevation map) in it that is used to warn the pilot if he or she is flying at an altitude close to the elevation of landforms in the vicinity. It would be nice if this terrain map could be used in the automotive GPSRs to enhance the 'perspective view', however, I think it would be kind of complex to figure out how to do this in such a way that the route was not obscured by terrain ahead of the vehicle. Another operational consideration that would need to be addressed is the amount of memory required to store the terrain map - it is pretty big.

Michael

Back
Top Bottom