Mangled Touratech zega boxes

rup5555555

Reaction score
I just got rear ended stopped at traffic lights and my Zega cases and rack have been mangled. Can the rack be bent back without compromising its strength? Can the boxes be knocked back into shape (temporarily at least?) Any tips on technique or should I just get a sledge hammer? Any experts in the London area who can help?

rfawcett said:
I just got rear ended stopped at traffic lights and my Zega cases and rack have been mangled. Can the rack be bent back without compromising its strength? Can the boxes be knocked back into shape (temporarily at least?) Any tips on technique or should I just get a sledge hammer? Any experts in the London area who can help?

Hi, On the Long way round video, Ewan was hit in much the same way. His boxes were just straightened with a hammer and a few pop-rivets. You should be abel to do somthing like that too.

As for the frames they didn't show what happened to them, but I think you should be able to straighten them with care and then reinforce them at the points that the tubing cracks 'as it likely will' by welding/soldering or sleaving.

I have done this sort of thing in the passed and its been very sucsessful.

Just for interest, a friend made a set of krauser pannier racks out of copper water pipe compleat with soldered joints.
I said they would fall apart on the first trip. They have been on the bike for three years now and done a few trips fully loaded and are still going strong :nenau

A hammer, some pop-rivets and some clear silicone 'jism' will do the trick.

TT do sell either the lids or the base box as a replacement item devoid of the fixing pucks etc. A lot cheaper than buying a complete replacement pannier.

If You've been rear ended then surely the other blokes insurance will buy You a nice new set :)

Hi Guys,

I'm kind of in a similar situation myself.

For the correction of the racks, I've found the following welders in London:
http://mauricenash.com
www.implexmobilewelding.co.uk
www.london-metalworks.co.uk/
www.bunnslandweldinglondon1.co.uk/
www.ceejaymaintenance.co.uk/

Anybody have experience using any of these guys?

---
For the panniers, I've got the Zega Pro Anodised ones. For scatches, I'm thinking about using wet-grit paper. Though I know the finish probably won't be the same again. Has anybody got any tips on how I can try and blend in the affected area with the rest of the box? Make it less of an eyesore.

With pop-rivets, I've not got a rivet gun but can they be snapped-off by hand?

Also, by the above threads am I correct in thinking that just hammering the panniers back into shape won't be enough as the existing pop-rivets will have be loosened or damaged?

How do I get them out of an existing hole? -Same technique for sheared-off bolts?

Cheers,
Lab.

Attachments

• IMG_0466v2.jpg
    IMG_0466v2.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 858
A sharp knife to trim off the fur and some plumbers scotchbrite pads will have it looking like they actually did the LWR. :) The ding is character.

But TT might sell spares and a car body shop could dress out the ding.

The side case frames are stainless so unless the tubes have crimped, should straighten out fine. Some careful filing and flap wheel work should have them looking like new.

It's tough stuff so will need more than a Black & Decker workmate vise.

Slid my GSA in Cumbria a few weeks ago at the bottom of hardknott pass, scratched up my crash bars broke an indicator, and got gravel rash on my pannier.

Took the metal support bar off bang the pannier pretty much back in to shape, well good enough for the lid to go back on, then put the bar back on, jobs a good un.

Changed the indicator lens (MOT safety reasons) apart from that shit happens and I look meaner then the clean fuck next to me.

http://www.visitcumbria.com/wc/hardknott-pass/

If your riding an ADVENTURE bike just take the bloody knocks and don't bother to make it look like new as it's a waste of time and money.

Back
Top Bottom