Switzerland advice needed

guitarman

The last time I went to Switzerland (20 years ago :eek: ) I was forced to buy a "motorway permit" at the border despite telling the police that I wasn't going to use the motorways.

Does anybody know if this still happens and can I get away without the permit as I'm not intending to use the Swiss motorways when I go over in July?

Cheers

Dick

Last year the border guard tried to sell me one, told him I wouldn't be using the autoroutes. He warned me of the big fine for not having one but didn't force me to buy one. It's voluntary not obligatory.

Buy one anyway - riding in the valleys to get from one col to the next is torture. So many speed limits and towns. Always a cop with a radar gun in every village. :(

ssi said:
Buy one anyway - riding in the valleys to get from one col to the next is torture. So many speed limits and towns. Always a cop with a radar gun in every village. :(

What the man says - I've been a tight git before now ( :confused: ) and it bl00dy hot in these valleys travelling at the speed of the local tractor :eek:

Looking at my route I'm not sure I'll need one but I'll reconsider if I change it.

Cheers

Dick

I buy one every year and nobody so far has looked at them, but I am mostly off the motorway, apart from St. Margrethen - Chur.

Last year no-one tried to sell me us one and we didn't buy one either, didn't know you had too, whoops!

Got the address of a cracking B&B overlooking Lake Neuchatel if anyone wants it.

If one goes into Austria it is a different matter in my experience, going up through the Rhine Valley it is not unlikely that one get's into a control somewhere between Feldkirch and Bludenz before turning off towards the Silvretta. But there one can buy 10 days tickets (instead of a all year ones in Switzerland) which are considerably cheaper. But, beware of speed limits in both countries, the fine for not having the permit, plus being forced to buy the permit then (you will have to), plus the speeding fine..........

Please remember that a Vignette is needed where you are on a freeway, many of which are 'normal' two lane roads - not only motorways. You will find that you might unintentionaly join a freeway e.g. to by pass Interlaken, where you need a Vignette. My view is that the Swiss intentionally make things awkward enough that to be safe that you need to buy on. You can buy on in advance at the Swiss Tourist Office Website at:

http://www.myswitzerland.com/en/

Switzerland is beautiful but too choclate box perfect for me. If you are going to Interlaken there is a brilliant and cheap hotel that will garage you bikes, is in walking distance of the town cente and wll offer you a warm welcome and a great breakfast. PM me for details

Cheers

Switzerland

I'm just back...

Didn't have a sticker and didn't need one.

I did however need 100 SFR in cash when I got done for passing a sign I shouldn't have... :nono

Beautiful Place, Have a great time.

Ali

Yogi Bear said:
I'm just back...

Didn't have a sticker and didn't need one.

I did however need 100 SFR in cash when I got done for passing a sign I shouldn't have... :nono

Beautiful Place, Have a great time.

Ali

I'm only actually there for one night. I've got a hotel booked in Fribourg so for me it's in from the north one day then out through the south the next :D

I was going to stick to non-motorway but after looking at my schedule I think I'm going to need to use the motorways after all for at least part of the journey :(

Cheers

Dick

think how cool you'll look with that vignette on your screen :cool:

for years to come, onlookers will know you're a double hard bastard and that you don't just use the bike to nip down to tesco's :D

It's not expensive and lasts all year. I'm sure that you'll love it so much you'll go back.

We go every year. Arosa (near Chur) for the skiing but it's a cracking place in the summer and the Graubünden is my favourite place in Europe.

If you fance a day off the bike, the Bernina Express (from Chur to Tirano) is a great day out.

J

cookie said:

for years to come, onlookers will know you're a double hard bastard and that you don't just use the bike to nip down to tesco's :D

I just knew there would be a better reason !

Jon said:
Last year no-one tried to sell me us one and we didn't buy one either, didn't know you had too, whoops!

Got the address of a cracking B&B overlooking Lake Neuchatel if anyone wants it.
I would appreciate the B&B address / tel no. etc.

Will be travelling 10th July

Thanks in advance

LeonardEPalmer@aol.com

cookie said:

Good thinking, has anyone got an old sticker so I can pretend?? :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom