Mapsource Search

AdamZ

I have been attempting to search for an address in Dublin but am failing completely.

I have the address (street number, street etc) and but the find function keeps providing no match.

I managed to find the Street using Autoroute and a printed street directory and then found the street visually in Mapsource. So there should be no reason why the find function should not work.

However I noticed that most of the roads and streets in Dublin in Mapsource do not have the capability of indicating street numbers.

I tried the find function with a variety of street numbers but they all failed to achieve the result.

My question is:

a) Does the lack of street numbers in the digital map mean that the Mapsource find function will not work?

b) Is there a way of forcing the Mapsource Find function to ignore street numbers?

mapsource search

If my memory serves me correctly, not much of Ireland is mapped at street level. Which software version of are you using??? ( both mapsource and for the unit)

John

MiGSel said:
Take a look here Adam:
http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7256

The subject has been covered more than once.

Goodl luck,
Michel

Michel,
I have worked through the thread you indicated. It helps in some countries but not with all locations and is irregular in its ability to resolve the need.

The problem is within the Mapsource search function and the logic associated. There are a number of key parameters in the search. In order to search the address database they have applied an "AND" to Street parameter and the Number Parameter. This is fine when the Mapsource Digital Map includes street numbers but does not work when there are no street numbers assigned. It will then fail.

The use of postcodes is valid for countries which apply postcodes. Ireland unfortunately does not have the same level of granularity of published and used postcodes. Dublin 6 or Dublin 4 is an area code not a street identifier.

Basically the Mapsource search capability is crap. The work rounds are inconsitent and not adequate.

Yes, I can resolve. I now use the latest version of Microsoft Autoroute (but that in itself does not have detail definition in many locations), establish a waypoint, export the Autoroute Map, use a conversion program to extract and export in PCX format the Autoroute waypoints and then import into Mapsource so that I can conduct route calcultaions and download to the Garmin unit.

I would get shafted by by customers if I produced such poor quality against a fundamental element....

Oh, I have Mapsource Version 4.05 with...

European City Navigator Versions 2.0 (based upon:
UK Ordanance Survey 1995
Other Maps from 1993 to 2001 (varies by Country) and Ireland 2001.

Lets have ago

Adam, post the information or address you are looking for, or PM me if it is confidential. I am using V4.13 mapsource and European City Navigator V5 and have not found any major problems so far. I agree it's not the best search facility I have ever used but it has always worked. So I would be interested to have a look at the problem you are experiencing.

There is no detailed mapping for Ireland only A roads, there are some fuel stops in Dublin but in general Ireland has no detailed mapping presumably because the Irish didn't want to sell it to Garmin.

City Navigator V5

European City Navigator V5 now has Dublin down to house numbers.

Attachments

• v5dublin.jpg
    v5dublin.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 106
Re: Lets have ago

gazza said:
Adam, post the information or address you are looking for, or PM me if it is confidential. I am using V4.13 mapsource and European City Navigator V5 and have not found any major problems so far. I agree it's not the best search facility I have ever used but it has always worked. So I would be interested to have a look at the problem you are experiencing.

Gazza,

No confidentiality on it. I was after New Gem Motorcycles in 47-48 Chelmsford Road, Ranelagh, Dublin 6. I had the Street number but can't remember that. Chelmsford Road actually shows up in the Map but you cannot search for it.

I was also looking for Long Mile Road in Dublin 12. This road does not show up on the Map as it is set as the R110.

I would be interested in the status of the source data. If you go to "Help", "About Mapsource", "Product Info" a pop-up window will provide the CD Set Name and the Data Version plus copyright information.

No Numbers

You are definately right about it not locating via property numbers, however, the good old faithfull "0" still works. It would appear from my brief look that there is not a single house number on the map for Dublin.

Attachments

• dublin2.jpg
    dublin2.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 86

Back
Top Bottom