Clutch question---

givitsum

Picked my American import R100GS up from the docks yesterday. Found her laid forlorn on her side strapped down to a custom built pallet complete with eyebolts---stupid yanks hadn't put the tie-downs on proper and she had slid through them over onto the rocker cover---slight cosmetic damage but nuthin serious :)

Anyway clutches---my local airhead guru has long-since retired from bike mechanicking and taken up farming so HELP please :)

26239 miles on the clock---she has loads of free play at the clutch lever which can't be adjusted out as adjuster is fully out---clutch doesn't clear properly with lever back to the bars---doubt if it's simply a stretched cable so where do I look next or are 'they all like that'?

givit :thumb

there's an adjuster on the operating arm at the back of the gearbox.

arm should be set at 201mm +1 distance from the cable stop casting on case.

edit: found a diagram now :)

clutch7ng.jpg

And Clean the carb float housing while you have the instructions to hand :D

'clean 'er up'

Yessir Mr Steptoe---I'll go do that right now ;)

Couldn't resist throwin a leg over her though and with the missus out the way I took her across the river into the field opposite my cottage and gave her a short blat amongst the thistles and cowshit---should have dunnit before I washed her---not after :ymca
not exactly North America where I was supposed to be riding her but it's whetted my appetite for airheads---what a motor---smooth as silk all the way from the bottom :thumb and with the single seat she's just like sitting in an armchair---comfy up on the pegs too---can't wait to get her through all the parafenalia that's needed before she goes on the road legal like.

Found enough adjustment in the cable to let the clutch clear but I will check out the other adjuster on the mechanism---better to take up the free play there methinks and save the cable adjustment for on the road.

Thanks for the info guys---that was really prompt---dare I ask if all the starter motors make a noise like a moose fartin---especially if she doesn't fire first time?

givit :nenau

givitsum said:
Thanks for the info guys---that was really prompt---dare I ask if all the starter motors make a noise like a moose fartin---especially if she doesn't fire first time?

givit :nenau

more like a camel choking. or an albino cat trying to dislodge a fur ball, or an Emperor penquin regurgiating to feed its chick, or

airhead starter/moose fartin?

nud1e said:
more like a camel choking. or an albino cat trying to dislodge a fur ball, or an Emperor penquin regurgiating to feed its chick, or

that's alright then, thought maybe I was disturbing sum American wildlife under the tank every time I pressed the button :D

cheers all

givit

Back
Top Bottom