First trip to Ireland......

JohnC

Reaction score
....since I was a young lad of 8 that is, in the back of a Reliant Regal which was pulling a home made trailer full of camping gear :)

It's safe to say a few decades have passed since then and although I'm still in a tent, thankfully the Reliant Regal is no more ;)

Portrush/Portstewart was our first stop for a few nights, then on to Strandhill/Sligo for three nights with our last two nights in D***in :D

_DSC5372.jpg

It was cool and misty in the mornings but about 28 degrees in the afternoon. :D

_DSC5394.jpg

Clueless!

_DSC5385.jpg

_DSC5377.jpg

I'm thinking your not meant to take a bike down by the funny shaped rocks as we were apprehended by two big lads in a 4WD pickup. They said we needed permission to take a 'vehicle' to the causeway (shocking!! ;)). Some smooth talking (i.e. they couldnyunerstanawurdawizayin) and they decided we were best left alone :D

_DSC5378.jpg

_DSC5396.jpg

_DSC5476.jpg

Our campsite in the dunes :)

_DSC5462.jpg

Strandhill had a surf and canoe school which was great fun to watch. Some huge waves and surfing were to be seen but I never seemed to have the camera handy :(

IMG_0039.jpg

Over to Coney Island we go. Great stuff sand :)

IMG_0043.jpg

IMG_0038.jpg

_DSC5482.jpg

DSC00077.jpg

_DSC5469.jpg

We decided to climb up Knocknarea. Great views of the coast from the top of the "burial tomb" ;)

IMG_0030.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

_DSC5487.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

Leaving Strandhill :(

_DSC5493-1.jpg

On to Dublin then :)

_DSC5497.jpg

Reminds me of Amsterdam, check the young lad under the statue. This is 12 noon :D

_DSC5504.jpg

_DSC5517.jpg

_DSC5499.jpg

DSC00092.jpg

_DSC5509.jpg

_DSC5522.jpg

_DSC5521.jpg

_DSC5529.jpg

DSC00095.jpg

Who you? :D

Great pics and write up... takes me back to happy years when I lived near Galway and used to travel up to Sligo regularly to visit friends... you were definitely lucky with the weather.... :D

Great shots of the Spire in the Mire too... :thumb

Great pics John. You even manage to make Dublin look great. That busker is on Grafton St most days and has to be the worst performer ever... he is crap.Glad you had a good time. The picture of the spire through the trees is excellent.

Cheers all :) Sligo, Galway and the surrounding area was amazing, all of Ireland was tbo, even Dublin ;) :thumb

We could have stayed for a lot longer, there's just so much to do and see (cliché mode off:)), but yes we were lucky with the weather and it made the trip even more memorable :)

Hope to be back soon :beerjug:

Ayeeeee

JohnC said:
Cheers all :) Sligo, Galway and the surrounding area was amazing, all of Ireland was tbo, even Dublin ;) :thumb
We could have stayed for a lot longer, there's just so much to do and see (cliché mode off:)), but yes we were lucky with the weather and it made the trip even more memorable :)

Hope to be back soon :beerjug:

But ye missed the best Bit !

Great pics there John. Looks like you had a great time here and the weather helped make the holiday. :clap :thumb

The real scarything is that while you were in the Portrush/Portstewart area you had no idea how close to Tuned In you had drifted. :eek: :eek: :D

JohnC said:
Perhaps next time then Tuned :)

no problem :thumb the place looks great when we get good weather :D

I would like to use your Giant's causeway pic for the thread about discovering Ireland if that's ok with you?
_DSC5385.jpg

what time were you at the causeway at... it looks very early in the morning

SO it was you who brought the good weather along :cool:

Great pics, love the sunset and the 'character' shots in Dublin :thumb

Nice pics John: The Dublin shots made me kinda nostalgic...

There is a department store in Dublin called Clearys which is near the Spire. When construction of the Spire had just finished the local quip was...

"....I can see Clearys now the crane has gone"

TUNED IN said:
no problem :thumb the place looks great when we get good weather :D

I would like to use your Giant's causeway pic for the thread about discovering Ireland if that's ok with you?
_DSC5385.jpg

what time were you at the causeway at... it looks very early in the morning

Not a problem Tuned :) I was going to Photoshop out the life savers but never got round to it.

I could check the original exif data but I think we were there about 8.30 - 9.00am. We left to go to the Carrick-a-rede rope bridge next and it was still closed for a 10 am opening. Didnt stop us forgoing the £5 charge for two as we jumped the barrier. Just as well, as with the early morning mist you couldnt see the sea never mind the bridge. :thumb

Back
Top Bottom