12V rechargable Battery charger

Rob, I've had an almost identical charger for close to 1 year and it's great. I changed the plug over to a combination one that allows me to plug straight in to the BMW system plug, or, by slipping on an end adaptor, whacking it into the car cigarette lighter.

The major difference is that my unit came with what were then, ground breaking 1800mAh batteries. I have two sets of batteries and after about 3 lots of charge and useage cycles they are the bees knees.

I find that I can set the unit up in the tank bag when travelling on holidays. I employ two rubber bands to hold it all together and this ensures that the batteries don't come adrift and stop be re-charged.

From experience I know that sometimes the switch for 2 or 4 batteries being charged can easily be tripped. If this happens then the batteries will not be charged, eg:- if you have four batteries in and the switch is set to two batteries the system just stops. To stop this happening I use a bit of gaffa type tape over the switch, a primitive but effective cure.

Mick.

Mick,

I fitted the combination plug as well. I'm a bit sick at the minute I was bragging to a mate about the charger and he shot me down by telling me the same unit was available for £5 less at the local camera shop :(

I hadn't even thought about an elastic band for the lid or taping up the switch. I've got a Tuorag bar bag, if I fit another power socket at the bars I can chuck it in there while I'm riding.

thanks for the advice

Rob

Back
Top Bottom