Which Route To Slovenia

Baz

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
We have decided to put off our return trip to Morocco for a year and are going to head to Slovenia the last two weeks in Sept.

I'm looking at a route down & back which will also take in some Alpine routes.
My rough route down at present is :
Channel Tunnel , Autoroute to Black Forest, Bodensee, into Austria, cut through to Bolzano & drop into Venice for two nights, hit Slovenia on day 5 or 6.

This will give us 6 days in Slovenia & Croatia before our return leg of 4 days, route yet to be decided.

I know there are plenty of top biking roads on the way, but we can only fit a certain number and there will have to be some motorway legs to cover the mileage. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Baz

I've been to Slovenia twice on the bike.

First time we followed your route via Black Forest, Bodensee & Austria (we stopped for 3 nights near the Grossglockner pass). Returned via Austria & Germany spending 2 nights in Eiffel Moutains.

Last time we rode to Saarbrucken for an overnight stop. Through Black Forest for 2nd stop in Augsburg. Then took a scenic route SE of Munich via Tegernsee, Zell am Ziller and Felbertauern into Slovenia. Seeing the Krimml falls was a highlight.

To return: head west and spend a night by Lake Garda, then ride north into Austria via the Timmeljoch stopping somewhere in Bavaria between Garmisch & Augsburg. From there you can blast up the Autobahn to the Ardennes/Eiffel; or take a leisurely ride through the Black Forest to Strasbourg for a lst day blast up the Autoroute.

Just got back from that way through Slovinia very nice it is too but if you can visit Montenegro it is STUNNING It was worth the 4500 mile round trip just to ride down from Uzice to Podgorica and then there's the 120 mile of coast road from Dubrovnic to Split Brilliant stuff. Good luck.

Wasn't planning on going that far down

Looked at a rough route last night, which will something like:

Day one Sat 16th Channel Tunnel- Somewhere in Black Forest. Use of Autoroutes to get the miles covered- Approx 400 miles.
Day 2 Sun 17th- Black forest to Merano via Konstance& Timmlesjoch- Approx 350 Miles (Any recommendations for a route through the Black Forest)
Day 3 Mon 18th- Merano to Venice via Cortina d'Ampezzo/ Dolomites- approx 200 Miles
Day 4 Tues 19th- Free Day in Venice.
Day 5 Weds 20th- Ride to Slovenian Croation Coast. Destination TBC. Mileage Approx 100
Day 6-10Thurs 21, Fri 22,Sat 23,Sun24, Mon 25 -Slovenia, Croation Coast/ Bled. This will probably include 3 nights in one location with ride out or chill option & one night at Lake Bled- Mileage 300?
Day 11 Tues 26. Slovenain Border to Munich via Villach, Lienz & Krimml Waterfalls. - Approx 260 Miles.
Day 12 Weds 27th Free Day in Munich
Day 13. THursday 28th Munich- Hiedleberg Approx 200 Miles.
Day 14. Friday 29th Heidleberg- Cochem Approx 120 Miles.
Day 15 Sat 30th Cochem- Chunnel via Ardennes Approx 300 Miles.

Baz

Good route.........................the only thing I wouldn't do is ride to Venice

Boring, out of the way loop for a hot expensive city overrun with tourists
Much overrated.

Better to get a cheap flight another day, for a weekend.

I'd spend the time saved, split between the Dolomites (Corvara is a good base) and some more time in Slovenia

Caves at Postonja are fantastic and have a couple of days in Piran on the Slovenia coast to R&R (Hotel Piran is a good one)

You can even get the Hydrofoil to Venice across the bay, from Piran..........if you're that desperate :eek:

Better than riding the bike all the way from Cortina :thumb

I dont particularly want to visit Venice, but it was a sweetner for the Wife. May look at the Hydrofoil option.

Baz

JB is spot on. Riding into Venice is a pain. Then you have to disrobe or trudge around in bike gear.

If you must do Venice then go on an organised trip by coach. You can wear appropriate clothing, drink plenty of wine with lunch and have a snooze on the bus back to your base hotel. The one I did from my Lake Garda base was good value and only wasted a day of my holiday: it is nice to say I've been there but Venice is a tacky shithole that is very low in my list of places to visit again.

Cheers guys

OK Venice now deleted, so we got 7 nights in Slovenia/ Croatia but may still do the Hydrofoil jobbie.

Any ideas of cost of living in Slovenia, ie hotels, meals drinks etc. Trying to sort the budgets at the moment.

Baz

Baz said:
Cheers guys

OK Venice now deleted, so we got 7 nights in Slovenia/ Croatia but may still do the Hydrofoil jobbie.

Any ideas of cost of living in Slovenia, ie hotels, meals drinks etc. Trying to sort the budgets at the moment.

Baz

Was cheap before they joined EEC, not been since 2004, so no idea now.............going again in Aug though

Baz said:
Cheers guys

Baz

I was in Bled last year.
Petrol prices are about 60p a litre, see
http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/eupetrolprices/

Beer: in the hotel beer was about 85p for a half litre bottle. Much cheaper in a supermarket obviously.

The best hotel in Bled will cost about £100 a night: this is very plush. Many much cheaper places available. See http://www.bled.si/en/default.asp?id=325 Many of the hotels have English websites with price lists.

I stayed here: http://www.hotelastoria-bled.com/eng/index.php hotel itself is a bit tired but the food and service was excellent. It's a finishing school for graduates of the tourist industry college next door. They are very keen to impress as I guess some of the customers might be potential employers. Very nice location 10 min walk from the busy centre. Only a short walk up the hill to the castle. B&B is about 40 Euro per person. Very good buffet dinner is just a 9 Euro supplement, which leaves plenty of budget left to try their very good red wines: trust the sommelier, they know their stuff and will ask what type of west European wines you like and try to match it with a local one. We had a very good pinot noir with our beef main course for about £7 a bottle.

Baz said:

Baz

Slovenia and Croatia - 2004 and 2005. Will be there again this year, sans enfants, w/bike (at last).

As above... Accommodation and food to suite every budget.

The cheapest places that you'll find are accommodation only places, look for 'sobe' (or the German 'zimmer'). They are all over the place, especially if the place is remotely touristy. Ask to see the room and ask if there is a local cafe before you decide. So cheap I stopped bothering to work out the exchange rate.

Have fun.

Absolutely stunning...

Went to Slovenia last year (not on the bike :( ) - brilliant! Wonderful scenery, friendly people, not expensive, good(ish) roads, not crowded. Everyone goes to Bled - and it IS wonderful, but you simply must visit the Triglav National Park . It's the eastern end of the Alps and every bit as beautiful as many other better known areas.

The Slovenian tourist website is first class - we got lots of useful info before we went. They produce several excellent publications, including the 'NextExit' booklet (you can download it) that features 'off the beaten track' locations, avoiding highways. Simply Excellent. If you're not going until September, the Tourist board will send you stuff in the post - well worthwhile.
Overall? One of the best places in Europe...

Certainly is one of the best biking countries in Europe, all wrapped up in an area the size of Wales or thereabouts

The valleys above Maribor are worth a look too, so is the East, near Hungarian Border

Flip said:
Just got back from that way through Slovinia very nice it is too but if you can visit Montenegro it is STUNNING It was worth the 4500 mile round trip just to ride down from Uzice to Podgorica and then there's the 120 mile of coast road from Dubrovnic to Split Brilliant stuff. Good luck.

Sorry to hijack thread, Flip how easy was it getting into Montenegro and i pressume you bought the insurance at the border.

Thanks

Simon

Yes had to buy insurance cover at Serb border 60e for 1 month cover. No probs at all crossing border as long as you can oblige police with a wheelie. Flip.

I'm sure I read somewhere that some one managed to get a bike serviced in Slovenia, can anyone recall who it was?

My 12 will probably be on 5K when I'm due to leave, but if I can get it done cheaper whilst I'm out there I'll wait til I clock up the 6K.

baz

Baz said:
I'm sure I read somewhere that some one managed to get a bike serviced in Slovenia, can anyone recall who it was?

My 12 will probably be on 5K when I'm due to leave, but if I can get it done cheaper whilst I'm out there I'll wait til I clock up the 6K.

baz

I paid £130 for a 6k service (at 30K) in Cardiff. Even if you save 50% is it worth faffing about to get to Ljubliana on a particular day?

I've been to Slovenia twice. I've not visited the capital yet as there is much more fun to be head in the rural bits. I'd much prefer to take a day off the bike being a tourist around Lake Bled: enjoying a boozy lunch and an afternoon nap by the lake, and not worrying about collecting my bike at 5pm.

Twas just a thought, at that price, maybe I'll go to Cardiff for a service instead.

Baz

Back
Top Bottom