Weekend blast into Germany

Gecko

Reaction score
Sadly another weekend comes to an end and now just the memories , a few more miles on the clock and some pics to remind of a good time.

When your helmet ends up looking like this from one day's ride , the ride was some 600km heading home but you just know it was a good one :D

Attachments

• img_0002.jpg
    img_0002.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 302
the tent's up the tea is made - yours truely havin a brew

Attachments

• gecko havin a brew.jpg
    gecko havin a brew.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 292
We are here for the beer :beer:

Attachments

• beers all round.jpg
    beers all round.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 287
The local's joining in the fun :D

Attachments

• locals havin fun.jpg
    locals havin fun.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 283
The boys in the band decided to do a 'full monty'....well the ladies appreciated it....I think :confused:

Attachments

• the full monty.jpg
    the full monty.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 279
The weather was good enough for the locals to try some waterskiing on the river Main......daft sods !!

Attachments

• waterskiing the river main.jpg
    waterskiing the river main.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 276
On the way home - along the river Mosel - the sun was shining all the time:D

Attachments

• somewhere along the mosel river.jpg
    somewhere along the mosel river.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 274
Grey road, yellow flowers - Silver and yellow GS - it all goes together rather well I think :p

Attachments

• posing.jpg
    posing.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 275
Somewhere in Germany.....:confused:

Attachments

• somwhere in germany.jpg
    somwhere in germany.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 271
This is what it's all about - and there was mile after mile of the same ..... lovely twisty winding empty roads which thanks to the GPS I found and could enjoy :D

Attachments

• oh yeah.jpg
    oh yeah.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 274
Ah well all good things come to an end - now then......"to clean or not to clean" ....that is the question.

Anyone looking for a destination this summer - check out the Eifel region in Germany , along the river Mosel - fanbloodytastic biking country.

Attachments

• to clean or not.jpg
    to clean or not.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 267
Yup ...that the new tent. It is really spacious and goes up really quickly. I had it up and pegged in withing about 3 minutes just in time for the first thunderstorm on Friday night. Only crtisism is that when it's wet and you open the side door the water comes in but I am going to rig up a couple of poles to hold up the other door flap . This should sort out the problem. Overall great tent. It is quite big when packed up. Because the tent poles are integrated into the tent fabric it is only just slightly narrower than the B*W panniers. I can just squeeze it into my 90litre Ortlieb bag.
The floor of the inner tent seems quite thin to what I am used to in other tents and a groundsheet is a wise precaution to protect it from anything like sticks or stones that may tear the floor.
I am 6'3" tall and I can stand crouched inside the inner tent. The front part is lower but I can just about sit on a low stool in there an brew up if I need to. Overall a good tent if you don't mind the packed size as a trade off for having something that goes up really quickly.

I'll second that,Gecko.
The German Eifels are my favourite and some of the twisty back roads are some of my all time favourites.
John

Tell me more

Hey Gecko good photos!

12 of us are going out to Germany this Saturday and staying in that region for the week.

So far want to look at the Rring and explore some of the mountain roads and general sightseeing.

Can you recommend any specifics or better still send me a route for Street pilot III GPS use?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Hi Swoop,
I drove past the Ring, about 6km away at one point. I have the GPS track I followed and I'll try and post it here tomworrow for you - my com port isn't working on my home PC so I'll have to do it from work tomorrow.
Basically the route really gets interesting if you look at a map - find Aachen in Germany then a bit south you will see about half way between Aachen in the north and Malmedy in the south a small town called Jalhay. From there I came up from the south east so you want to head due south east or about 5 o'clock on map. Pick up the towns of Botrange, Kronenburg, Stadkyll, Hillesheim, Daun (and Cochem if you want to go along the Mosel for a while) . I came across from the otherside of Frankfurt but you won't need to go that far as the Ring is close by the time you get to Daun. You won't be disappointed - I hope you guys get the good weather that I had because it really is brilliant biking country around there.
If you go for a drive on the Ring - be bloody careful - because there are some real nasty accidents there every year. Bikes always come off second to Porsches and other quick cars and in the free sessions the scarey thing is you can be blasting around a corner only to find a tourist coach in your racing line......you have been warned.

JohnnyBoxer said:
I'll second that,Gecko.
The German Eifels are my favourite and some of the twisty back roads are some of my all time favourites.
John

I can't wait to get back down there - it's like being on cold turkey at work today - my left foot is still twitching - wanting to change up and down the gear box :D

Gecko said:
Only crtisism is that when it's wet and you open the side door the water comes in but I am going to rig up a couple of poles to hold up the other door flap . This should sort out the problem.
The good people of Kyham tell me in the event of inclement weather you should use the centre door to ensure water doesn't drop into the tent, use of the side doors is for dry weather use.
It is quite big when packed up. Because the tent poles are integrated into the tent fabric it is only just slightly narrower than the B*W panniers. I can just squeeze it into my 90litre Ortlieb bag.
This is a side effect of all of Kyhams 'one touch' systems, my 2 man Highlander(?) is also a substantial packed size (for a 2-man tent) though it doesn't extend outside of the width of the panniers which for me is the clincher. Looks like I might be getting one myself now then :thumb

I wonder if Malky is still looking for a 2-man tent for Belgium? ;)

Judge
It's a good tent. I can live with the packed size and I think using the center door is the right thing to do but I want to rig up the flap with a couple of poles so it can be left open without the rain coming in. I just need to get used to it - I'll have it all figured out in time for you lot invading Belgium next month.
Cheers
:beer:

For anyone interested here is the GPS track of the interesting bits.
:p

Attachments

• gecko\'s eifel run.mps
    6.5 KB · Views: 28

Back
Top Bottom