Dakar 2007

Number 6

Reaction score
The original plan to attend the Festival au Desert and the Dakar event, see here:- http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65838 has been somewhat modified. Alright then, heavily modified, as in we're not now going to the Festival at Tombouctou :(

The good news is that there will be more time on the way down for exploring through Morocco, Mauritania and Mali and we shall see more of the Dakar including the finish :thumb

Plan is to leave Portsmouth for Bilbao on 27/12/06 and return via France at the end of January.

Mileage in France and Spain is 2100, in Africa 5500 ish.

Up for it so far are myself, Kevhdr3 and Loz. Any other takers?
Andy.

That pretty much fits in with my plans so count me in. I wanted to do the festival but the Dakar is first priority. Followed Dakar this January 2006 but only for first week and last March 2005 went all the way to The Gambia.

Come in numero 6

...........we're not now going to the Festival at Tombouctou
ou-la la ( as they say in France and Jersey!- Hello Sid :)
Just as well 'cos it isn't in Tombouctou but Essakane! :D :duck:

Bert Just as well 'cos it isn't in Tombouctou but Essakane! :D :duck:[/QUOTE said:
Well, I knew that didn't I ? ........but Essakane ain't not on no map, so folks would say 'Essakane? where's that then?' Fortunately some kind person (thanks Bert :thumb ) sent me the co-ordinates for Essakane so I know where it is :cool:

I reckon we need Bert to come along as well. Un demi frog would be very useful as he speaks the lingo like a native and he also cooks a mean dish or two on his camp stove.

What do you think Bert? You know it makes sense. :D

Nothing...

is ever impossible Sid! but I do have to focus getting work when I return. :(
Needs must.
Thanks for the compliment! next time I'll remember to bring my fuel bottle and not just my cooker :rolleyes: (good job we're in 'civilised' Blighty and that gas is available!)

PS Number 6 - there is a HUGE fee due to SOS for that knowledge! start collecting amigo! ;) :thumb

FAO: Number 6

Hi Number 6, Do you accept e:mails? I tried PM you but it didn't get sent. It's regarding the trip to the Dakar. I'm looking for some info re. maps/route/etc. Would you mind giving me your e:mail address so I can elaborate. Thanks Neil

Somehow I missed these threads earlier...

I'm thinking of following the Dakar again next year, though at the moment none of the key UK bikers are planning to compete (certainly not Si Pavey/Matt/Charley and Patsy/Clive, don't know about Nick P).

The rally starts much later start in 2007 and I was thinking of skipping Lisbon, seeing the New Year in somewhere in Morocco, then following in the rally as it moves south.

Tim

Tim Cullis said:
The rally starts much later start in 2007 and I was thinking of skipping Lisbon, seeing the New Year in somewhere in Morocco, then following in the rally as it moves south.

Tim

Pretty much my plan Tim, was thinking of Marrakech for New Year?
Andy.

Met Loz yesterday (nice bloke ) at the off road day he was one of the insructor/helpers & had a great day . Anyway i was wondering if it would be worth getting a metting togther of thoses who are going so we could sort out the details like dates/ jabs ( ive started mine already ) whos going & what we all need to bring etc . It would also be nice to meet those who are going face to face .
What do you think ?
Cheers & look forward to meeting you Kev

kevhdr3 said:
Met Loz yesterday (nice bloke ) at the off road day he was one of the insructor/helpers & had a great day . Anyway i was wondering if it would be worth getting a metting togther of thoses who are going so we could sort out the details like dates/ jabs ( ive started mine already ) whos going & what we all need to bring etc . It would also be nice to meet those who are going face to face .
What do you think ?
Cheers & look forward to meeting you Kev

Any thoughts as to where and when Kev?
Andy.

Last year we were able to pick up Euromaster (tyre people) rally map giveaways at Lisbon that were good for helping plot rally intercepts. I don't know if there's a way to get these maps beforehand without being at Lisbon?

I've been looking at the schedule. The initial route is likely to be much the same as this year--after all the rally is tied to using airports and there aren't many to choose from. So the first few days will probably be something like:

3-4 Jan: scrutineering
5 Jan: final briefings

6 Jan: Lisbon to Faro
7 Jan: Faro to Málaga
8 Jan: Melilla to Er Rachidia
9 Jan: Er Rachidia to Ouarzazate
10 Jan: Ouarzazate to Tan Tan

Brittany Ferries close down after 20 Dec, however the P&O Ferry from Portsmouth to Bilbao on 31 Dec (arrives 0800 2 Jan) would be a good bet for those who don't want to ride through France (however there's no return ferry until 6 Feb).

I want to go a lot further south than I did in Jan 06, and I can tell you that even keeping in touch using tarmac roads is a pretty tough schedule, and I don't want to waste my meagre reserves of energy on following the rally in Portugal or Spain. So the first place I'm likely to want to intersect the rally is near Er Rachidia on 8 Jan.

Tim

Tim, the Dec 27th sailing (Portsmouth - Bilbao) is £107 per person cheaper than the the 31st sailing! I thought there were no return ferries until March, the Feb 6th boat looks good :thumb
Andy

Well spotted. :thumb The outbound ferry cost on 28 Dec with four riders sharing a four-berth inside cabin would be just £87 per person.

Even if you upgraded to outside cabins with only three riders per cabin, the cost would only be £100.

Tim

Unfortunately, I've had the absolute week of hell this last week and all future plans are now changed. :( Definately not able to be away for one month in January.

Very seriously depressed at moment so just taking things one day at a time. :( :(

Sorry guys, but I'm sure you'll all have great time in North Africa.

Sid

Back
Top Bottom