Quest...maybe a dumb question but....

MIKE R

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
We are going to spend about 2 weeks travelling through Europe beginning at the end of July.

Our route down to Lake Garda is planned and will soon be put into the Quest. Our return route is going to be decided when we decide to return, and may be outside the parameters downloaded onto the Quest.

Here's the question

Is it possible to load a V6 or V8 onto a 1GB stick, and then reload the Quest whilst in Europe using an internet cafe if we do go outside the downloaded parameters?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Mike R

MIKE R said:
We are going to spend about 2 weeks travelling through Europe beginning at the end of July.

Our route down to Lake Garda is planned and will soon be put into the Quest. Our return route is going to be decided when we decide to return, and may be outside the parameters downloaded onto the Quest.

Here's the question

Is it possible to load a V6 or V8 onto a 1GB stick, and then reload the Quest whilst in Europe using an internet cafe if we do go outside the downloaded parameters?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Mike R

Only by using Mapsource....you'd have to install that on the Internet cafe PC and it's very unlikely they'll allow that.

You may be surprised just how much mapping you can get on though.......plan your route down there first, then select 'show maps around this route' which will select the smallest set that will cover the journey..then havea poke manually and add some likely maps for the potential return deviations.

If you need more space, I'd look at the maps that are on any long M'way stretches...there's little point in wasting space on the maps getting to Dover for example....all the roads to it will be on the base map and that will save space as well.

Mike....you're not going to have a problem with it......

This is how the route looks from Calais to Verona....it takes up 50.4 meg.....

Attachments

• garda.gif
    garda.gif
    41.1 KB · Views: 251
And assuming you can get from Burnley to Dover (durrr ;) ) this is the max you can select that will fit on the quest to cover you for the way back;

Attachments

• garda-2.gif
    garda-2.gif
    42.4 KB · Views: 243
Fanum said:
And assuming you can get from Burnley to Dover (durrr ;) ) this is the max you can select that will fit on the quest to cover you for the way back;

What versions that Fanum, V8 is a fair bit bigger, more detail :)

Whatton said:

ECS 6.

I had CN7 but can't find the discs so haven't put it on this machine...I timed my registration of the replacement Quest so that I should be able to get V8 but I haven't got round to it :rolleyes:

It's a good point actually Mike...you might want to play with the same maps in the version you've got to see what you can fit, but I still reckon you'll get enough on to do the job :thumb

But back to Mike's question ....

Is it possible to load Mapsource onto an external flash drive?

Kritou said:
Is it possible to load Mapsource onto an external flash drive?

Yes, but you'd still have to install it onto the PC to download it to the Quest.

There's a big difference between being loaded on (saved) and being installed......for it to be installed, the device needs an OSthat supports Mapsource, and a USB host to send it...I'm pretty sure that even the Archos (which does have a USB host controller) can't be used 'cos the OS won't deal with MS.

In theory it should be possible, but you would need a big flash drive !

My \Program Files\Garmin directory is 3.48 Gb total

Of that 1.4 Gb is European Maps, 1.2 Gb is North America and 0.2 Gb World Map.

Without uninstalling part of my setup, my best guess is you would need a 2Gb flash drive minimum to install.

... but Mapsource uses a lot of Registry settings that would not be present on another PC, and you may find some of the initialisation files refer to the drive letter, which could be anything unless you force the drive mapping to a common letter.

Whatton said:

Yep. a similar mapset to Fanum's second picture comes to more than 300Mb. I carry a small Dell Latitude LS400 to get round this problem. Plan routes in the hotel, reload data cards etc.. You can pick up refurbished units for around £200. Cheaper than some PDAs.

MIKE R said:
...Is it possible to load a V6 or V8 onto a 1GB stick, and then reload the Quest whilst in Europe using an internet cafe if we do go outside the downloaded parameters?

Mike:

You can't do that (load the cartography onto a stick), it won't work that way.

Fanum's suggestions (his first two posts) are right on the money. There is, however, another workaround that you might want to consider:

Load your unlock codes onto a memory stick - or even a floppy disc (they are tiny), or just mail them, as an attachment, to your Hotmail account, so you can recover the attachment (1 kb) enroute. Now, all you have to do is find someone else - another rider, another GPSR owner, or a Garmin dealer - enroute who has a computer with the same map product that you own (CN 8) loaded on it. What you then do is upload your unlock codes to their computer (using the UNLOCK MAPS command, which is under the UTILITIES menu of MapSource), and now you can load a new mapset to your GPSR from someone else's computer. You don't have to bring your 'maps' with you, all you really have to do is bring your unlock codes with you.

Doing this does not contravene the licence agreement in any way - the computer you will be using already has an authorized install of the map products on it, and all you are doing is adding in the unlock codes that will allow that installation to work with your personal GPSR.

Michael

Brilliant!!!!

Many thanks to you all, and surprisingly I understood everything....more credit to your explanations than my computer knowledge.

I thin Fanum has hit the nail on the head. His idea covers all the planned route, but we are considering returning via Monte Carlo and the Route Napoleon. With 2 bikes and 2 Quests this will not be a problem.

Thanks again, but a pity about the memory stick idea.

Mike

:beerjug: :beerjug: :clap :clap :clap :clap :beerjug: :beerjug:

By the way, Mike, just a suggestion for your route: I notice that you have routed yourself down the A5 Autobahn, just fractionally to the east of the France-Germany border. That road is fast enough, but it is boring beyond all possible belief.

A far, far better ride - one that you will truly enjoy and remember for quite a while - would be on the French side of the border, through the region known as Le Grand Ballon or Col de Ballon, in the Vosges mountains. This route parallels the autobahn, but on the French side. Find the city of Colmar on MapSource (it is at N48 04 54.0 E7 21 48.9), then zoom in on the area just to the west and south of it, and look at all the squiggly lines. It is moto heaven, and there is not much traffic there.

Michael

Back
Top Bottom