Nord Capp, Norway.

Jimb

I'm looking for info on a future Nord Capp trip, not on a bike I hasten to add but in a camper, we intend to go via Holland & Denmark over the bridge to Malmo and then north, To arrive at Nord Capp around the longest day, "1st June.

Is the bridge to Malmo a toll bridge ??
What's the cost of diesel in Norway ??

I have heard that Norway is very expensive but we will take most of what we need with us space & weight are not an issue.

The idea is to travel north through Norway on the E6 and come back via Sweden either down the coast road or down the middle not decided that yet.

Any advice would be welcome

Hi Jimb,
I have been up to Nord Capp a few times mostly on a bike but once in a camper. Last there in 2003, Love Norway and the amazing wildlife. Nord capp itself is nice but a rip off (£12.00 to park my m/c, £5.00 for a coffee, I seem to remember). When we took the camper we stayed on campsites every other day or so to shower and recharge the vans battery. We mostly camped off road or in laybys.
Norway seemed to get more expensive the further north you go: diesel was £5.00 a gallon 10 years ago above the artic circle :eek: .
Food is expensive and booze is astronomical: cheap Norway isn't. Take a fishing rod and live on fish (cod and coaly) north of the artic circle. You don't have to be a skilled fisherman to catch em.

One of the high lights for me was a boat trip whale watching off of Andenes (west of Narvic.) Brilliant :) Plus the moose there eat in peoples gardens and seem un-afraid. Watch out for moose crossing the roads: I've had 2 near misses and they really can be big feckers.

I was in Dk last summer and I think my friends said the bridge to malmo cost the same as the ferry. The ferry from Denmark to Kristiansand in Norway is relatively inexpensive: £35.00 for me and the m/c 3 yrs ago. Regard rthe E6 as boring as far as Trondheim brilliant from then on. Don't like inland Sweden or finland, particularly around the artic circle after early june because of the mozzies: they really can eat you alive. Central Sweded is boring pine forrests as well, OK for 50 mioles boring after 500.
Norway strictly enforces its low speed limits. I would not tour there again on a m/c as 50mph was a drag, you shouldn't have a problem in a camper.

Obviously, these are only my own opinions, others will disagree

The scenary up north is mind blowing: hope you have a great trip :cool:

Just back from working in Norway. Here's my 2cents worth...
Bridge to Malmo is bloody expensive (About 20quid)
Diesel is about 90p/litre

I couldn't be arsed with the boring bit through Holland and Denmark... I'd Just go straight for the flake on top of the 99....

Traffic seems to move at a very Irish pace so allow for 40miles per hour..

In general prices are no worse than London or any big city for most things.

Everybody speaks english...(it's quite embarrasing, but you can just assume this).

Was working near Kristiansand and Sandefjord and was planning to make a trip over there again. The guys over there recommended I take the ferry to Bergen and head north from there, cut across the mountains and then come down the middle, crossing in to Sweden. If I had to go to the Artic circle they suggested I cut from the NordKapp to Murmansk in Russian territory..

Jimb said:
I'm looking for info on a future Nord Capp trip, not on a bike I hasten to add but in a camper, we intend to go via Holland & Denmark over the bridge to Malmo and then north, To arrive at Nord Capp around the longest day, "1st June.

Is the bridge to Malmo a toll bridge ??
What's the cost of diesel in Norway ??

I have heard that Norway is very expensive but we will take most of what we need with us space & weight are not an issue.

The idea is to travel north through Norway on the E6 and come back via Sweden either down the coast road or down the middle not decided that yet.

Any advice would be welcome

Just back from a three week bike tour of Norway. Started Bergen and included NordKapp and a quick run through northern Finland / Sweden.

E6 around Trondheim was like any other busy a road - bit of a slow pain in the arse. Once further north traffic reduced and it became quite interesting. It was not until I started riding north that I realised how long Norway actually is. According to the signs: Trondheim to Narvik - 900km; Narvik to NordKapp -700km.

NordKapp itself was bit of an expesnive anticlimax. 195Nk to get self and m/c into the NordKapp visitor centre site for the essential photo opportunity; and the gift shop prices were in the rip off category. There is also a 6km toll tunnel that you need to use to get onto the island; 68Nk each way for a motorbike. Camper vans were charged a lot more in both cases. I think NordKapp is also based on per person charge so do not be surprised if 195Nk is per head. Fantastic run up the E6 to get there but would not go here again due to the above. Fjords further south were just as stunning and far less effort / miles to enjoy.

Plenty of campsites and these were well signposted. Camping was fairly cheap - approx 100Nk per night for 1 person / tent. I did use a lot of Hytters as the weather was a bit damp for camping. Mid juen to early July - toursit season was just getting going so plenty of space / accommodation available.

I found north Finland and Sweden rather boring unless you like looking at trees. Stop for a roadside pee and be eaten alive by mozzies. Reindeer were a serious road hazard; had to stop / slow to a crawl at least a dozen times. Some of the dozier ones would not move off the road at all. Guess that is why so many of the HGV's have bull bars. Although the 'middle' road through Sweden provides a faster route south I elected to go back into Norway and take the E6 and other minor roads south again; the Norweigian scenery
is superb.

Petrol varied for mid 11NK to mid 12 Nk per litre which by my arithmetic makes it more expensive than the UK. Burger and chips in a cafe was equivalent of £10; restaurant dinners considerably more.

Loved Norway and intend going back to tour the area south of Bergen. Only downside is the cost of the place. Otherwise fantastic country, scenery and roads.

Wicker said:
Just back from a three week bike tour of Norway. Started Bergen and included NordKapp and a quick run through northern Finland / Sweden.

E6 around Trondheim was like any other busy a road - bit of a slow pain in the arse. Once further north traffic reduced and it became quite interesting. It was not until I started riding north that I realised how long Norway actually is. According to the signs: Trondheim to Narvik - 900km; Narvik to NordKapp -700km.

NordKapp itself was bit of an expesnive anticlimax. 195Nk to get self and m/c into the NordKapp visitor centre site for the essential photo opportunity; and the gift shop prices were in the rip off category. There is also a 6km toll tunnel that you need to use to get onto the island; 68Nk each way for a motorbike. Camper vans were charged a lot more in both cases. I think NordKapp is also based on per person charge so do not be surprised if 195Nk is per head. Fantastic run up the E6 to get there but would not go here again due to the above. Fjords further south were just as stunning and far less effort / miles to enjoy.

Plenty of campsites and these were well signposted. Camping was fairly cheap - approx 100Nk per night for 1 person / tent. I did use a lot of Hytters as the weather was a bit damp for camping. Mid juen to early July - toursit season was just getting going so plenty of space / accommodation available.

I found north Finland and Sweden rather boring unless you like looking at trees. Stop for a roadside pee and be eaten alive by mozzies. Reindeer were a serious road hazard; had to stop / slow to a crawl at least a dozen times. Some of the dozier ones would not move off the road at all. Guess that is why so many of the HGV's have bull bars. Although the 'middle' road through Sweden provides a faster route south I elected to go back into Norway and take the E6 and other minor roads south again; the Norweigian scenery
is superb.

Petrol varied for mid 11NK to mid 12 Nk per litre which by my arithmetic makes it more expensive than the UK. Burger and chips in a cafe was equivalent of £10; restaurant dinners considerably more.

Loved Norway and intend going back to tour the area south of Bergen. Only downside is the cost of the place. Otherwise fantastic country, scenery and roads.

Just adding a bit to Wicker´s post...´cos I agree with everything he said and we´re now on our way down to the baltics through Finland (bloody boring trees)

The toll to enter the island where the Nordkapp is costs 490 krones each way for a camper and the 195 krones to enter the park is indeed per head.

But if you enjoy a good hike (don´t...... :eek: ) you can go to the real northernmost point of Europe (can´t even remember the name, sorry), we did in 9 hrs return in the rain (it should´ve taken 5hrs) :nono not much fun then.

Norway is fantastic but really expensive, now in Finland we just pay 6 euros for a burger and chips instead of 100 krones (about 14 euros), and so is the accommodation way cheaper...

fcasado said:
But if you enjoy a good hike (don´t...... :eek: ) you can go to the real northernmost point of Europe (can´t even remember the name, sorry), we did in 9 hrs return in the rain (it should´ve taken 5hrs) :nono not much fun then.

We hired a boat from Skasvag and saw it from there - much easier on the legs and you get to see the midnight sun from the ocean with puffins flying around you. You also get to see the original path winding its way up the cliff face - humbling really.

Don't remember the guy's name off hand but if you ask at the tourist office, he runs fishing trips normally. He also has some rooms for rent. He thought we were mad but realised that bike kit is quite good at keeping you warm and dry and he quite enjoyed himself. We caught enough fish to feed three people for three days... His English is perfectly good and I think he also speaks German apart from all the usual Scandinavian ones.

Back
Top Bottom