UK to Istanbul !?

Biarritz

Hi there

Did anyone did this kind of trip? :loopy

I am planning a two weeks tour for Spetember.
But is it really achievable in 15 days, returning via the Greece coast line, Albania and Croatia, then Austria, Italy and France.

If anyone been there and back in one piece, please forward me with few advices and comments

Philippe.

I have never been near that area, but I read that you will get as much hassle and rip-off in Albania / Croatia as to make the ferry from Southern Greece to Bari / Brindisi seem like a good idea. Patra or Ingoumenitsa.
Planning the ride myself sometime - daydreamer....

been there...

...done that. Its possible to ride to Istanbul in 2 or 3 days. You may need a week to recover... Seriously, a great ride, lots to see en-route and there so you can spend as much or as little time as you like on the journey. PM me if you want to talk about it or meet up.

Biarritz said:
Hi there

But is it really achievable in 15 days, returning via the Greece coast line, Albania and Croatia, then Austria, Italy and France.

If anyone been there and back in one piece, please forward me with few advices and comments

Philippe.

Hey, we too are planning a ride down to Turkey. We are going from Sep 22 to Oct 8.
How far into Turkey are you planning to go? We are going to head up to Black Sea coast in the north, and along to Sinop, or even further depending on time. We will probably catch the superfast ferry, Ancona to Patras, ride up to Thessalonika and over the border that way.

For some good info:

www.ommriders.com Turkey based bike club

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/country/turkey/

http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/se...t/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1053446559682

http://www.turkisheconomy.org.uk/index.html

keep in touch :beer:

Hi Mate,

15 Days sounds do-able.

We road back from Athens to UK in five days via Bulgaria, Serbia, Croatia, Slovenia, Austria etc. In a way i wish we had of ridden through Albania but we bottled it. Some people we spoke to in Montenegro said that it would be fine, others said its not advisable so who knows.

As someone else said you could get a ferri to Bari from Patras in Greece and then ride through Italy.

The only hassle we had riding through Serbia was not carrying any cash and relying on finding an ATM at a motorway service station. We had to leave the bike at the toll plaza and walk to the nearest village where we managed to change $50 Aussie into local currency. We were also told we would have to pay $75 for a green card but as we didnt have the money we just kept on riding and managed to get through the Croatia border with no problems.

You can check out our travels on www.theworld-ismyoyster.com or send us a PM If you want any more info.

BTW - Croatia was our fav country. Luv it!

Gazzr

Thanks anyone

It's only a project, but after been to Norway this June, Iatly, Sardegna and Corsica last year, we wanted a little further with a culture change.

Thanks, will let you know what will or will not happen! :jibber

I've done UK to Greece a few times and on one of those occasions went on to Istanbul, continued on down to southern Turkey, crossed over to Kos and on to Piraeus, back up through Greece and back to the UK.
15 days is doable, but it's going to take 4 to 5 days to get to Istanbul from the UK (and 4 to 5 back). It is of course possible to get that down to three days but that will involve a 20+ hour non stop stint in the saddle.
It is possible to go down through Italy and depart from Bari late afternoon/early evening and arrive in Igoumenitsa in Greece the following morning. Taking the Egnatia Odos tollroad (dont worry, the Greeks haven't gotten around to putting the toll booths up yet) you'll have a wonderful ride through the spectacular mountains of Northern Greece and should arrive in Thessaloniki after about 6 hours or so. Egnatia Odos will take you all the way on to the Turkish border just beyond the town of Alexandropoulis. Budget for another day's riding from Thessaloniki to Istanbul.
I've also done the Balkan route on a stupid non stop 20+ hour leg and didn't really enjoy it. Somebody asked about insurance and the truth is that no matter what cover you have with you, the border police in Serbia, FYROM etc will insist on you paying insurance to cross their country; this can be anything from 20 to 50 Euros. I also paid for Turkish insurance which appeared to be more legitimate.
I lived in Northern Greece for 4 years and know the area - including the corridor to Istanbul fairly well. If anybody has any questions on what to see, where to go, where to stay etc, PM me and I'll try and answer your questions.

Don't know much about the trip from UK to Istanbul
But covered all black sea region on my old trusty F650.
Best month to travel in Black Sea (Karadeniz) region is August, other times possibility of rainy days increase.
I traveled all the coast from istanbul to artvin (city at the sarp border) from the coast line and returned home visiting the high lands which I can tell are the best places of Karadeniz trip. If you're interested I could send some photos.
My trip took 15 days.
Most memorable moments were at Rize city, in camlihemsin region. At kavron highlands (3700 mt high) we had snow in the morning, had bath at the fresh rivers in the afternoon, caught fish in galcier lakes, drunk unbeleivable tea at teahouses in hihghland villages and meet children who have never seen buble gum before.
At nights our camp was the quiest place I've ever been and even the light of stars could illuminate the surrounding.

Istanbul

Hi there

Philippe.
Hi I go next week 9 August if you ar intrested harey up

I'm en-route now!

Yep, currently in Dubrovnic having a bit of a mare to be honest.

Stayed in Northern Italy before setting off again to Slovenia. From there, I headed to Croatia and the Dalmation coast which has a good review and is nice, though a bit touristy.

Unfortunately, to get any further, you have two choices - Bosnia/Serbia/Bulgaria or Bosnia/Serbia/Macedonia/Greece with an option of Albania. So I went into Bosnia, paying 10Euro for a green card (when he saw my 20Euro note, he tried to charge me 20!) before heading to Serbia (Visegrad - 160 miles). Unfortunately, the first checkpoint wouldn't accept my insurance and couldn't sell me any, directing me to Priboj (50 miles) where I could buy one... supposedly.

Unfortunately, they wanted 70euros and then said it was "too late" (it was 3pm). Cash machines and credit card accepters aren't that common in Bosnia and I had only planned on a passing visit, so I decided to go back to Dubrovnik (160 miles) instead. Unfortunately, the checkpoint was closed due to the fires, so a kindly Bosnian led me and two greek bikers at Mach 6 to the Montenegran border (30 miles) for circuitous access to Dubrovnic... where I was promptly turned away again because they wouldn't accept my insurance nor would they sell me any :( It was now 9pm, so I headed back to Trebinje (15 miles) to find a hotel (like rocking horse shite and again, won't accept credit cards). Luckily there were cash machines... that promptly gave me 50 Kn notes which no-one could change - i actually got euro change from the hotel!

So yesterday racked up 450 odd miles across some of the best and worst roads, in mostly rain, 18 degrees and occasionally a bit of sunshine for very little overall gain. I've now had enough of border controls and have decided to get a ferry to Italy, then another to Greece before heading over to Turkey, where I'll be staying until the 20th or so.

So just a warning to all those wanting to overland it... allow a lot more time than you bargain for (especially if you venture off the main motorway route), take a load of Euros, Krona etc. and good luck with your insurance paperwork! :) I'm sticking with Italy/Greece options from now on!

By the way, Bosnia is pretty nice, though lots of police all over the place and 30mph limits, (got pulled over twice, but let off). No motorways, so it takes time to get around, and is probably worth making a destination in its own right, but its quite under-developed still, lots of Communist influence, not many English speakers (more Germans). I've had enough of it though! Croatia on the other hand is a million miles more touristy and "westernised" (though have only found one place with wi-fi!) and seem to take Euros or Krona and many people speak English.

Back just last Monday from Istanbul and Damascus. This is my third trip in these countries and love them as well as the places and people. As a suggestion I would take the Ferry from Bari or Brindisi to Igoumenitsa and from there to Thessaloniki – Alexandroupolis –Istanbul

i took ferry from italy (ancona) to igoumenitsa(greece), then thessaloniki, komotini, komotini (greece), kesan(turkey), tekirdag, istanbul (total 1100km). fast route but good if you want to rest on the ferry.

Ferries

I'm curious to know information on ferries from Syria or Turkey going to Greece or Italy as next year, I'll be enroute to the UK on the GS from Saudi.

Sounds like the Balkans are more than just a hassle.

Im planning a dash to istanbul In may leaving sheffield on the 22nd and catching the ancona boat (a la turkey trot run) on friday 23rd getting back to sheffield sunday 1st june. Theres 2 of us going so far on an r1150 rs and a k1200rs. Anyone else fancy it? Not quite as hard core as the turkey trot but still expecting some 1000 mile days.

Back
Top Bottom